PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Karmacat

Don't forget the battery operated tin openers either. So far the arthuritis, blast it, just seems to be crumbling my knees and maybe elbows but I have two ordinary openers and a battery one tucked away.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Elona wrote: »
    Karmacat

Don't forget the battery operated tin openers either. So far the arthuritis, blast it, just seems to be crumbling my knees and maybe elbows but I have two ordinary openers and a battery one tucked away.
    Thanks honey - yep, we need a good variety of many tools like that.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Scots weather forums reporting lots of skeins of geese flying south now, very early indeed. Not sure if it means anything though..
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Mar, have you come across any winter forecasts yet.? Looks like an El Niño may be forming but the sites I’ve looked at say that means winter in Europe could be cold. Alternatively could mean it will be mild:undecided:think:

One thing I have noticed is that the hawthorn bushes are loaded with more berries than I have ever seen. So much so that the green of the leaves and the red of the berries blends into a sludgy browny maroon when you look at it from a few feet away
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Mar, have you come across any winter forecasts yet.? Looks like an El Niño may be forming but the sites I’ve looked at say that means winter in Europe could be cold. Alternatively could mean it will be mild:undecided:think:

One thing I have noticed is that the hawthorn bushes are loaded with more berries than I have ever seen. So much so that the green of the leaves and the red of the berries blends into a sludgy browny maroon when you look at it from a few feet away
    :) It's been a wonderful year for berry-bearing domesticated fruits such as red and blackcurrants and gooseberries as well as for the blackberries. I noticed that the oaks are producing a lot of acorns but haven't been anywhere near beeches to see if this is a mast year.

Folklore says that heavy crops of berries presage a cold winter, but all it actually means is that the spring and summertime conditions favour that plant.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    No forecasts yet.
    Just one saying we're going to have another money crash like 2008. Which didn't affect me at all so I'm not panicking lol
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mardatha

I had a look at Dave King's site and he does not seem to be suggesting a bad winter but does mention a very cold February next year.

I found what looks like a very pretty throw at nearly half price so ordered it for the living room and have stocked up on basic tinned and dried food, toilet rolls and toiletries. I am already sorted for tealights, a few solar lights and torches and hot water bottles and have made sure I have an extra month or two of medications.
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    My neighbour's mother used to make me laugh when she'd mutter, "Och, many hips & haws, there'll be some snaws!" at our hedgerows. Fair enough, she'd fly down from Glasgow for a couple of days & she was usually right, there'd be plenty of snow - in Glasgow. But not down here! But agreeing with maryb, I've never seen so many haws; the hedgerows here look red.

One thing that interested me was that the Met Office said at one point that it's rare to get just one hot summer, there'll usually be two or three in a row. I have a feeling that that might also apply to cold winters; if I remember correctly they're both caused by the same kind of patterns in the jet stream. So I'm ramping up the preps a bit, but of course down here that probably just means a couple of days of icy unpleasantness. You never know, though...
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 September 2018 at 8:37AM
    Options
    I observe some Americans decided not to heed the assorted warnings and paid the most-over-inflated price for their freedom. I excuse the baby, but good grief.

Meanwhile we're to greet Helene next week - I think while we may not take preparedness quite as commercially as some Americans do, we can none the less apply horse sense and a pinch of dubious pessimism with (I hope) a higher survival rate outcome.

Says she going to check fleeces, blankets & cat litter (said to be effective for traction underfoot), check what haws look like (Things One Learns From Google - TOLFroGs?) & consider syrups and cheeses. Whom to pick to test the berries for sweetness, given no frost as yet?!)
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it is going to be windy next week might pick the pears and apples from the garden to store in the garage. Had an apple pear and bramble ( all from the garden) crumble yesterday and 2 granddaughters said it was pink crumble and ate the lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure