Beware Eon switch

As an EON customer I had notice that my existing tariff is to end 24 Oct 18
Went to MSE to get best deal to find that it's EON but only available through comparison sites!
Started the process immediately as MSE advise that it would take 4-6 weeks which fits nicely with my end date
Just found that the switch was done on the day and I'll be on a higher tariff immediately - nice work EON
Just rang to complain and surprise surprise they can't switch back because it's last years tariff - funny that
I'll shall exercise my 14 day cool off if not resolved satisfactorily
Why do these companies not get that I can go anywhere and get sharp/poor service?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    SLF wrote: »
    Went to MSE to get best deal to find that it's EON but only available through comparison sites!
    Started the process immediately as MSE advise that it would take 4-6 weeks which fits nicely with my end date
    Just found that the switch was done on the day and I'll be on a higher tariff immediately - nice work EON
    Just rang to complain and surprise surprise they can't switch back because it's last years tariff - funny that
    Why do these companies not get that I can go anywhere and get sharp/poor service?

If you are an existing customer, and switch tariffs, then the 14 day cooling off period does not apply. Transfers of this nature are treated as ‘mutual variations of contract’. If the supplier agrees to the change (they are under no obligation to do so) then under Standard Licence Conditions, it has 5 days to implement the change. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
  • OK many thanks to Abi and Riccardo
    Less happy with the guy who effectively hung-up on me
    But it still took over 1/2 hr on the phone to resolve
  • SLF wrote: »
    SLF wrote: »
    OK many thanks to Abi and Riccardo
    Less happy with the guy who effectively hung-up on me
    But it still took over 1/2 hr on the phone to resolve

Hello SLF and welcome to the Forums.

Glad this has been sorted. Just a quick heads up, switches from one of our tariffs to another through a Price Comparison site go through immediately. The 4-6 weeks you mention are when changing supplier. As Hengus explains, going from one E.ON tariff to another is known as a 'mutual variation of contract' and are dealt with as soon as we receive instructions from the Price Comparison site.

I'm sorry you've struggled when trying to talk to us. Our current waiting times aren't good enough and we're working to sort this situation and from stopping it happening in the future.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 September 2018 at 4:04PM
    Surely the cash back you receive for switching tariffs with the same supplier more than compensates for the higher tariff charges for 4-6 weeks, does it not? NPower did this to me but, since it was high summer/very low usage time and the standing charges had more than halved, I let it ride. :cool:

ETA: Not trying to rub salt into the (very minor?) wound but I have just remembered you can specify a date on which you want to switch to another tariff with your existing supplier; I did that a year or two ago. Obviously this does not apply when switching to a different supplier. HTH someone.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Surely the cash back you receive for switching tariffs with the same supplier more than compensates for the higher tariff charges for 4-6 weeks, does it not? NPower did this to me but, since it was high summer/very low usage time and the standing charges had more than halved, I let it ride. :cool:

With some quick and dirty calcs, I figure it will cost me £3.40 if they switch me from V1 to V18 today instead of in 3 weeks when my V1 expires. Less than the £25 I'll be getting from MSE so :money:.

Still, I might try and be cheeky and ask if the switch can be deferred. I know nothing can be done after the fact, but couldn't hurt to try beforehand.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Raxiel wrote: »
    With some quick and dirty calcs, I figure it will cost me £3.40 if they switch me from V1 to V18 today instead of in 3 weeks when my V1 expires. Less than the £25 I'll be getting from MSE so :money:.

Still, I might try and be cheeky and ask if the switch can be deferred. I know nothing can be done after the fact, but couldn't hurt to try beforehand.

Think my edit of my above post crossed with yours, Raxiel. You go for it.
  • Sosumi
    Sosumi Posts: 195 Forumite

ETA: Not trying to rub salt into the (very minor?) wound but I have just remembered you can specify a date on which you want to switch to another tariff with your existing supplier; I did that a year or two ago. Obviously this does not apply when switching to a different supplier. HTH someone.

Unless things have changed recently at E.ON, that information is incorrect (and, as such, is misleading rather than helpful), in regard to E.ON, Smodlet. :(

An existing E.ON customer can, when changing to a different E.ON tariff that is being offered directly by E.ON (for example, on the E.ON website) specify a date up to 52 days in advance upon which he or she wishes his or her new tariff to commence.

This extremely handy benefit doesn’t, however, extend to E.ON tariffs offered only on Price Comparison Websites and unavailable directly from E.ON itself.

An existing E.ON customer who opts to move to another E.ON tariff offered only on a Price Comparison Website will find that the new tariff. when it is forwarded to E.ON for processing, will be backdated automatically to the day on which the customer applied for it on the Price Comparison Website, with no option to “forward fix” it.

So far as I am aware, the last twelve-month “Go Online” tariff fix to have been offered directly by E.ON was v11, in March of this year.

As an existing E.ON customer, I was able to “forward fix” to it by 52 days as part of the online procedure when logged in to my account at the E.ON’ website.

My new tariff duly took effect automatically and smoothly on my designated date in mid May and will end in May 2019.

If and when one is able to deploy this tactic it’a a good idea to submit meter readings (online) on the appointed day, to keep the billing simple.

E.ON appears to have altered its marketing strategy since then and all “Go Online” tariffs subsequent to v11 (last March) have been offered only on Price Comparison Websites.

I’m sure that :A Malc :A or :A Helena :A at E.ON will correct me if any of the above is wrong!

If you do decide to go for one of them on a Price Comparison Website, it’s worth remembering that if you route it to Energy Helpline via Top Cashback you get a £30.30 cashback instead of a measly £25, or whatever, from the “Cheap” Energy Club.

More to the point, Energy Helpline gives you a proper geographical address and telephone number so you can contact them directly if anything goes awry in the transaction, whereas the “Cheap” Energy Club gives you only an email address and nothing more: they seem to be anally retentive about revealing where they are and totally paranoid about the idea of actually speaking to anybody. Best avoided. :(
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OP, you haven't switched. You've simply changed to a different tariff with the same supplier, which is normally a same or next-day process. So I cannot see the basis for your complaint.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    macman wrote: »
    OP, you haven't switched. You've simply changed to a different tariff with the same supplier, which is normally a same or next-day process. So I cannot see the basis for your complaint.

OP is correct I have done exactly the same changed from E.on to MSE E.on v16 strange but true £25 cash back after 3 months :beer:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Think my edit of my above post crossed with yours, Raxiel. You go for it.

Well, I gave it a go, and as Sosumi stated, its not possible, even if you ask before its processed.

Speaking of Sosumi, wish i'd known about the Energy Helpline/Topcashback route yesterday! But never mind eh?

It occurs to me I need to get some meter readings submitted today, so E.ON don't have to estimate the consumption at the point the rates change...
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure