MSE guide discussion - 60 seconds on password managers

Comments

• securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    "It is secure "ish" , the password is stored as a hash in the computer rather than plain text."

Really? Could you explain how you think that works? If the local computer stores a hash of the password, how would it supply the original to the website that is being authenticated to?

Local password safes are just a special case of password managers: they store an encrypted version of the password, not hashed.
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Ha theres no way im giving google my banking password
    No but if someone rings your bank pretending to be you and saying they've forgotten the password, how are they going to contact you?

And if the attacker has already used your email account to get a password reset with your mobile provider, and requested a replacement SIM for your mobile beforehand, you could be in trouble.

It won't work with everyone, and perhaps you personally have other ways to prevent this sort of scenario, but generally someone who knows your email password can cause a lot of trouble.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    "It is secure "ish" , the password is stored as a hash in the computer rather than plain text."

Really? Could you explain how you think that works? If the local computer stores a hash of the password, how would it supply the original to the website that is being authenticated to?

Local password safes are just a special case of password managers: they store an encrypted version of the password, not hashed.

Yeah sorry im quite busy here ... :(

Capture.jpg

I was referring to the windows passwords which are stored in the sam registry hive (system32\config\sam). Hashed using LM or NTLM
  • AndyPix
    Jivesinger wrote: »
    No but if someone rings your bank pretending to be you and saying they've forgotten the password, how are they going to contact you?

I would hope that the last thing they would do would be to email me a new password !!
    I would expect a letter inthe post with a scratch off thing
  • securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    AndyPix wrote: »
    I was referring to the windows passwords which are stored in the sam registry hive (system32\config\sam). Hashed using LM or NTLM

That's right. And that relates to storing website passwords how...?
  • bsod wrote: »
    6 seconds on password management:

Note the passwords down IN CODE somewhere safe and convenient, make them lengthy, mix/slot in some numbers mid-word/phrase, and don't choose anything obvious like offspring/pet names, football teams, or birthdays

Forget complicated password schemes and strange characters, because they are no more secure, and you will undoubtedly forget them or !!!! them up once you get to more than three

...and then don't use it for PlusNet. When I was on the phone to them the operator said "ooh, that's a really secure password you've got there!"

Well, yes, it was until your system plastered it all over your screen.
  • AndyPix
    It doesnt - As i said i have my hands full and was skim reading.

My humble apologies
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite

My least secure says: 200 milliseconds
    My medium-secure says: 16 hours
    My most secure says: 3000 years

EDIT: Ha ha, person above me says about levels too!

For now, until quantum computers. :eek:
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,127 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just checked my main passwords I use for various things.
    The slowest was 34,000 years so I think I'm reasonably safe.

I agree that brain and (potentially) ink are best (but I've never written a password down in my life!).
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
  • rmg1 wrote: »
    Just checked my main passwords I use for various things.
    The slowest was 34,000 years so I think I'm reasonably safe.

I agree that brain and (potentially) ink are best (but I've never written a password down in my life!).
    Invisible ink and Alzheimers for you then;)
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure