Should regs be posted on main board?

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Any other suggestions?
    As the posts/votes on this thread represent just a small number of the main section users - perhaps to be seen by most (they may or may not choose to vote) a final poll would be best on main and include an option to change nothing.
  • TickTwo
    TickTwo Posts: 3,926 Forumite
    Comping on MSE won't work it never has & will not in the future because it's not a comp website it's MSE. Your all trying to make the best of a bad website for comping.

Said it before will say it again move to a comping website simple as that there are plenty of computer literate compers on here so setting it up should not be difficult or if that's too much trouble move to one already set up that allows members to add comps.

Think of all the time & energy you will save especially the advents coming it would be an ideal time to start fresh
    It's TicketyBoo To Be TickTwo!
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Posting them with an end date E: 31/13?
    maxresdefault.jpg

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • jaibaby
    jaibaby Posts: 4,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Having an on-going thread on the main board which gets bumped when new regular comps are posted
    BlueBella wrote: »
    Like I said earlier, if every comp gets posted on the main, it is going to be manic when the Advents start! There are 100s od Advent dailies!

Hence why we have the sticky thread for all the advents.

I would suggest every competition be posted on the main board. If it's a daily / weekly entry for the same prize then it'd be posted with the end date on and added to a daily or weekly thread (surely this would be easier - people can bookmark / turn on notifications) - if it's a different competition every day / week they should be posted as such. Yes, the board would have more comps, but they'd expire after the day was up.
    Thanks to all posters :A
  • jaibaby
    jaibaby Posts: 4,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Having an on-going thread on the main board which gets bumped when new regular comps are posted
    TickTwo wrote: »
    Comping on MSE won't work it never has & will not in the future because it's not a comp website it's MSE.

Yet I manage on a daily basis..... as do many others, to use it as a comp website :o
    Thanks to all posters :A
  • BlueBella
    BlueBella Posts: 10,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Speaking of the Advents, do we have a volunteer to run the Advents thread this year? (I've a memory like a sieve so forgive me if we have!) There has already been a few Weekly Advents posted on the main and many bloggers run their Advents throughout November so we should get sorted!

Animated-Christmas-Tree-With-Presents-11.gif
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi

sorry for not posting yet but I have been keeping up :)

As a Board Guide it really won't make any difference wether we have a Regs board or everything posted on the main board, as long as it's easier and more user friendly for you compers :) it will probably be easier with only the main board as we won't get merge/move requests to the regs board

here are some thoughts and suggestions, some are mine and some from discussions with other compers :)

a poll doesn't really work with more than 2 options eg 43 people voted for the 2nd option in this poll but 57 people didn't want that option

closing the regs board means everything is in one place and seen by all, people don't know about the regs board so miss a lot of comps

not sure why people use the postal sub board but not the regs sub board?

if people want all comps on the main board that should include the postals, easy enough to put POSTAL or TEXT in the title

made up dates are just going to confuse people, better to carry on with E: ONCEONLY E: DAILY etc. People manage to find the puzzler and TAB threads without them having the date format

Weekly comps could be posted as a new comp each week regardless of wether they're ongoing or not?

ongoing weeklies could be posted E: WEEKLY and those only running for a set time posted each week with an end date

there will be no index threads if we don't have a regs board

couldn't we have ALL regular entry comps on the regs board and use it in a more productive way?

off out now I'll catch up later :)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Posting on the main board with an end date of E: 31/12
    I've been using mse for a long time!

I was unaware there were comps on the regs board that aren't on the main board. I always thought they were posted once to the main and then continued on regs. I like to bookmark the ones I want to do on my own desktop. I even have a weekly folder and a monthly folder! Does everyone expect the hardwork done for them? isn't it the joy of comping to have your own routines and systems?
    please don't mix postals in the main board!! I love that they are separate so I can sit down with my stationery when I get the time!
    won't having those free lotteries on the main board make it messy and longer to scroll through for everyone who works through it everyday?
    for new compers all the info is in the sticky help threads! if they don't use it then surely their fault. If you look at Di's website the way she has organised lottos works for me.
    Thanks to all who post comps ! :T:T
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2017 at 3:40PM
    Posting them with an end date E: 31/13?
    I'm retracting my white flag, mainly to say that this is all probably pointless anyway. I can't see anything changing. Our system isn't 'change friendly'. How do we make it happen? I don't know what to ask, where to ask, how to ask, in order to gather the information the BGs need so that they can then change things. So my guess is that we're stuck with it the way it is. And the way it is is OK. I mean, it works fine. It's definitely not the best it could be, but I don't think there is much more I can do, or am prepared to do.

Bubble, when you say about posting 'these lotteries' on the main board. To the best of my knowledge the number of 'these lotteries' has doubled this week. They've gone from 1 to 2. As mjm has said above. There really aren't many comps on the regs that aren't posted on the main board, other than the C2w, postals, and similar.

If these few extra comps were posted on the main board, it would mean that most of our compers would at least see them. At the moment, my guess is that a large number of compers seldom visit the regs, to see what new comps are there. And yes, up to a point, that's their choice. But surely, we should make our system as user friendly as possible. Then it's up to individuals to come up with their own comping system/s.

I would far rather see all comps posted on the main board , other than C2W, postals, advents, and whatever other category that someone is bound to point out I've overlooked (Do I really need to say this every time?). That way we can look in one place, work through them, and decide for ourselves which to enter.

It would simplify MSE a lot to get rid of the entire regs board. It would make it easier to run, and easier to use. We just need to house the lists of postals, c2ws, etc, somewhere on the main board, and then post everything else there too. The only thing in the way of posting on-going comps on the main board is deciding which end date to use. I honestly think using E: 00/00 is the best solution. It fits the current system. It would group them all together at the bottom of the board for end-daters, and it's fairly obvious what it means. We could list them something like:

E: 00/00 Win a life (Daily) or E: 00/00 Win chocolate (Monthly)

End-daters would just need to learn to incorporate 00/00 in their normal searching. Which would be easier than trawling through the regs board for them anyway.

It would mean that most MSE compers would find most comps, as part of their normal comping system.

But as I say, I don't believe any of our suggestions will change anything, because who is going to make it happen? It's already taken too much time and effort to get to this stage. And this stage is pretty much nowhere.

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • mumto2boys
    mumto2boys Posts: 7,993 Forumite
    Blulu how about another poll but with only 2 options, get rid of the regular board or keep it? It won't be scientific but perhaps that would sway the decision to cull the boards?

There are only about half a dozen weekly comps that get bumped regularly in the weekly board so that would mean an extra half a dozen each week on the main board, I don't think that would cause too much disruption to advents/anyone's way of working.
    StayHome * StaySafe * BeKind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport