Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs.

Comments

• Ok I will be giving them a bell :mad: .......... Lets see what they offer..
  • I just contacted NTL and advised them I was about to leave. They slammed the Talk Talk service saying it was tied to a 18 month contract and there were penalty clauses -- plus the fact that Talk Talk were almost definitely going to increase the £21 monthly charge within the next 6 months, as they could not afford to charge such a low amount to all their new customers!

I stuck to my gun and eventually got `Talk Unlimited 24` (extra £14.50 per month if you want it) + 1MB Broadband for £24.99 per month for 9 months!-- a reduction of £148 versus my current package!!

It`s definitely worth the phone call- even better because its FREEPHONE!!::T
  • I'm currently with NTL and currently pay

Line rental - 10.50
    Talk Unlimited 24 - 14.50
    1MB Broadband - 17.99

Total - 42.99

After reading earlier posts I rang NTL on Saturday morning and explained that I'd seen the Talk Talk offer and I was considering moving but could they offer me any offer to say.

After being put on hold, they came back and said "no we don't currently have any offers on your package" but they could reduce my broadband to £9.99 for 6 months.

I asked to be put through to cancellations only to be told that they only work Monday to Friday 9 am to 5pm

To add insult to injury, whilst waiting 6 minutes for my call to be answered (which as NTL users will know is quite quick) the recorded message informed me that from 1st June their freephone number is being replaced with an 0845 number charged at 5p a minute.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I thought the 0845 was coming into effect as of 8th May? Hve they delayed it?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • MumofThree
    MumofThree Posts: 48 Forumite
    I'm currently with NTL and currently pay

Line rental - 10.50
    Talk Unlimited 24 - 14.50
    1MB Broadband - 17.99

Total - 42.99

After reading earlier posts I rang NTL on Saturday morning and explained that I'd seen the Talk Talk offer and I was considering moving but could they offer me any offer to say.

After being put on hold, they came back and said "no we don't currently have any offers on your package" but they could reduce my broadband to £9.99 for 6 months.

I asked to be put through to cancellations only to be told that they only work Monday to Friday 9 am to 5pm

To add insult to injury, whilst waiting 6 minutes for my call to be answered (which as NTL users will know is quite quick) the recorded message informed me that from 1st June their freephone number is being replaced with an 0845 number charged at 5p a minute.

To themanwhohadeverything

If I were you I would try again . You need to ring the diconnections number 0800 052 9403 and press option 2 (you wish to cancel) to get the good deals. Normal customer services don't have the flexibility of authority to offer the deals that the disconnections department do. Try again it's got to be worth it.

Good luck
    CHAPS requested 10 Oct, left KE 15 Oct, finally arrived 18.00, 4th Nov :D
  • alunp
    alunp Posts: 105 Forumite
    £10 a month off for the next 6 months :beer:
  • just of the phone to telewest managed to be upgraded to broadband from dial up with line rental for £ 21 per month fixed for 12 months.was currently paying nearly £26....
  • Mark_S_7
    Mark_S_7 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Just called NTL.
    Below you will see my savings.
    Use the number provided above (member).

Cancellation line 0800 052 9403 Option 2
    (20 min que but well worth it).

It was easy
    "Hi I was told that you could offer me a better prices as im
    considering moving to Talk Talk?"

"Lets see what we can do for you"

"WOW I'll have a bit of that thanks"

Orignal Price
    1 Base = £21.50
    1 1Mb Broadband = £17.99
    Total per Month = £39.61
    (Note telephone and Tv were package together on my bill,
    but there was no charge agianst this item).

New Deal (For 6 Months)
    1 Base = £21.50 - £5.50 = £16.00
    1 1Mb Broadband = £17.99 - £8.00 = £9.99
    Telephone - £5:30
    + £30 credit over 3 months.

I don’t have a telephone package lol...
    We use 1 tel due to overseas calls.

I'm now saving £18 per month + £30 in credit over 3 months.

My Bill should come down to ~ £26 per month yipeeee

I was told to call back in 4-5 months to see if any better
    deals are out there as the broadband war is on.
    And in 6 months who knows what the best price may be.

Funny realy i was prepared to accept £30 per month.
    But NTL have gone better to make it £26 per month
    and for 3 of them it will = £16 per month ...
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Friend of mine "made that call" for the second time yesterday to Telewest and got their package reduced from £40 to £34 per month for TV, BB and Telephone :j
  • altypotter
    altypotter Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi there. I have just called ntl to see what they could do. We did have 1mb broadband at £9.50 per month, Family pack at £30 inc line rental and talk unlimited evening and weekends for £6.

Having complained especially as the international call plan is now going to be chargeable again I have now been given talk unlimited for free. A saving of £6 a month which I thought was pretty good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure