PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• unrecordings
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    The dehumidifier made a sterling job of drying the laundry, all but the heaviest stuff was dry this morning and the rest not far behind it, I'm well impressed

We've a dehumidifier - very good but have to stop the cat from falling asleep next to it

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I think I have inklings of lurgy, woke with headache & nose itching, often a sign at Farway Towers:( I'll cross fingers & check Lem5ip stocks

Nowt of interest in L's this morning, except I did buy a mini pillow case of "meaty" crisps. I'm looking at YOU, Wednesday ;)

Bit CBA for lunch, maybe lugy related but not really hungry for real food, so became a fried egg sarnie
    Dinner, I think the last Pukka L & P pie with HM chips sould be easy enough
    Brambling wrote: »
    Farway I hope you had a visa to come across the border :D

Yes, I have an annual pass which is ready stamped:D
    Brambling wrote: »
    My sandwich maker got sent to charity when I moved 14 years ago, it had been a present I had pushed to the back of the cupboard after the initial usage and as I try to avoid too much bread it was gathering dust :). Occasionally I regret it, usually when someone talks about cheese toasties :rotfl:

I've still got mine somewhere at back of cupboard, it must be about due for it's annual outing now the subject has been raised
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    There really is nothing like a crisp sandwich Farway. I've run out of marg so I can't have one as it doesn't taste right to me without marg on the bread.

I'm not feeling that hungry at the moment. I think I might have a burger before I go out.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There really is nothing like a crisp sandwich Farway. I've run out of marg so I can't have one as it doesn't taste right to me without marg on the bread.

Grated cheese & salad cream works well with crisps.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 November 2019 at 5:54PM
    Options
    Hand, day 9. Improving, but not better. Still can't use door handles/open doors with that one, but did manage to hold my mug for the first time while filling the mug with hot water. :)

Food: Opened a tin of spag bol yesterday and have 3 slices of bread (10 Nov) left and a little cheese, so lunch was spag bol & cheese on 2 bits of toast.

Later: it might be pizza, else it's probably burger/flatbread.

Sunny earlier, now turned chillier with a few spots of rain.

EDIT: For tea I ended up doing cheese omelette & chips, using the last of the cheese and 2 eggs .... trying the 1cel4nd £1/1.25Kg chips for the first time.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Y,see I want a crisp sandwich now, but as it's Masterchef tonight I'd have to 'elevate' it...

...Maybe some Ikea dried onion :)

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,761 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    unrecordings I've just read your post about Sheffield fireworks. We were staying in Sheffield on the date that you posted and I think that I heard the last firework sometime between 2am and 3am :rotfl:

I have had some successes persuading my House Troll that some things previously thought nasty are actually edible and some nights we've returned to favourites so I've cooked for two - last night was jacket potatoes with beans and cheese. Tonight was definitely cooking for one. I had curry and rice (which he says that he likes but never actually wants) and he had mac'n'cheese from a box, supermarket ready made.

I've had two weekends off on the trot now - the first was spent in Sheffield where I made a roast dinner for Saturday evening and we all ate the same thing more or less, and then last weekend I was off again so did some baking/cooking and made jam. Actually I made jelly which for the unninitiated is jam pushed through a sieve (supposed to be dripped through a muslin cloth but you use what you have, huh?) so that all the pulp/pips/lumpy bits that the sensory person in the house doesn't like are removed. I now have high hopes of us both being able to use the same jar of jam in the future.

PN your hand injury sounds very similar to the possible scaphoid fracture that the HT's best friend has. It's not showing up on x-rays but the symptoms, the pain and the bruising all present as a fracture. She's had a splint for 3 weeks, a cast for 2 weeks and is now back to a splint. I hope yours heals quickly.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Sounds like real progress CRANKY:)

LOL unrecordings re the "elevated" crisp sandwich it's conjured up all sort of images but I'm sure a few artfully arranged pickles on the side might just nail it! I'm not going to even try to pimp up my dinner there's really not much you can do with stovies, peas & HP to make it look posh without losing the point of the dish, it won't stop me watching Masterchef while eating it though:rotfl::rotfl:

PN - glad your hand is slowly improving you must be so fed up with it by now <hug>

Hope the lurgy hasn't developed Farway you've been out in the cold & wet quite a bit recently so a few days tlc might be needed. <hug>

Crisp sandwiches have to either ready salted or prawn cocktail for me, ideally between two slices of well buttered (proper butter only!!) Mother's Pride plain bread or a morning roll.:D A smear of salad cream is just fine but I'm equally happy without it. I think it could be crisp sandwiches all round in CFO land see what you've started Wednesday - they could be the next crumpets or sausage rolls....... :eek::eek:

It's blooming cold here tonight but the wind has thankfully died back, there's a clear sky so no doubt it will be frosty soon. My stovies are cooked, I just about managed to squeeze the raw ingredients into the baby SC but did have to put some foil over the top :o until everything had cooked down a bit. It looked like loads at the outset but now it's cooked it's probably just 2 or 3 portions. I'll have a better idea when I dish it up. I used the "Auto" function on the SC for the first time which worked well but it definitely does cook fast (just three hours) so I'd never use it if I wasn't around to keep an eye on it. The roasted venison bones & trimmings, some pot veg, herbs, garlic & bayleaf are in the bigger oval SC on low. I'll leave them to it overnight and strain the stock tomorrow before reducing it on Thursday to give any fat a chance to rise & harden so I can lift it off. I'm not expecting to end up with a huge amount but I've an eye on a couple of recipes with stock as the "star of the show" where I think it will work really well.:cool:
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Crisp sandwiches, it's what all the cool kids are doing.:rotfl:

I didn't even go out tonight as I felt so chilled and weird earlier. I really am feeling the cold this year.:(

I haven't eaten anything since lunch so I will make steamed veggies, stuffing and Asda popcorn (vegan) chicken later on. It's meant to be like KFC, not that I would know. I want some gravy but I've run out.
    caronc wrote: »
    The wind & rain has battered all day and it's baltic (apparently "feels like -2C" on the forecast which I wouldn't disagree with!) my dehunidifier is earning it's keep as I have a house full of wet laundry and as it's heavy stuff like towels and tablecloths there is no way I'm tumbling it dry. If need be I'll finish stuff off in there on Sunday if it still damp. .

I switched over from normal heavy bath towels to the quick drying ones, microfibre, I think? OMG so much easier to dry. They dry by the evening if you hang them up if you have a shower or bath in the morning. They take getting used to as they feel so thin at first, though.
    Grated cheese & salad cream works well with crisps.

I really am not a fan of salad cream._pale_
  • unrecordings
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    unrecordings I've just read your post about Sheffield fireworks. We were staying in Sheffield on the date that you posted and I think that I heard the last firework sometime between 2am and 3am

For some reason this year hasn't been so bad, in fact it's been virtually silent for days now. Having previously lived in the bad areas for fireworks, maybe the pyro generation have finally grown up and the younger kids have no interest - hard to say

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback