We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Which Tree Should I Plant?

Hi

I am a complete novice and would greatly appreciate some ideas on type of tree I should invest in.

We live in a very busy "A" road that has traffic 24/7, our front garden is about 20 meters long. I am hoping to plant a tree that will be about 15 meters or so away from the house (should not impact light too much or hopefully damage house). It would be great if:
- We can get a tree that looks good for us and the hundreds to view when passing.
- Hopefully not dropping all its leaves and giving me a massive job every year..
- Low priority - hopefully helps restrict pollution and noise.

I thought about the Money tree, it is very slow growing but we are hoping to stay at the property for many years.

Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 October 2019 at 1:51PM
    Do you mean Monkey tree not Money tree?

Money tree is an indoor plant, Monkey tree is a monster and I certainly would not plant one in a front garden, OK if you live in a Stately Home of course

Would leaves be a real problem? All trees, even evergreens, shed leaves

A crab apple would be nice if you could just grin & bear the leaves once a year. There are loads of varieties with different ultimate heights and colours

The leaves would just rot down where they fall anyway, or pick up & compost them, or wait for a windy day & it's your neighbours problem:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    - Hopefully not dropping all its leaves and giving me a massive job every year.....

I thought about the Money tree

Well, you can hope!

No idea what a 'Money Tree' is as there's nothing showing on a quick Google that would last 10 minutes of bad weather in a UK garden.

Me, I'd go for Crategus persimilis 'Prunifolia.' (Those Romans never got their plants muddled-up!)

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/89242/Crataegus-persimilis-Prunifolia/Details
  • Apologies - it was a type I meant Monkey Tree.

Are there reasons not to go for a Monkey tree? I was a little deterred due to the slow growth rate but do like the look of them.

Regarding leaves I dont actually mind the labour work of picking the leaves up, but was more concerned with trees that shed all their leaves over winter. As in opinion they look a bit ugly until spring when the leaves regrow.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Apologies - it was a type I meant Monkey Tree.

Are there reasons not to go for a Monkey tree? I was a little deterred due to the slow growth rate but do like the look of them.

Although slow growing they will get huge and I mean HUGE ideal in a park. May not cause you problems for a while but subsequent buyers will curse you. It's a forest tree
    https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/british-trees/a-z-of-british-trees/monkey-puzzle/

• Ultimate height Higher than 12 metres
    • Ultimate spread wider than 8 metres
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Another vote for avoiding the monkeys! I don’t think i’ve ever seen one, in a domestic situation, where it has been appropriate.

I’d go for something native. Dave’s Crataegus is indeed a lovely tree, and a good suggestion, but bear in mind it is a hawthorn and it depends on your situation whether thorns are going to be a good thing!

There are some nice Rowan (Sorbus) cultivars around that give the same mix of all-season interest as the Crataegus in a similar sized-tree and without the thorns.
  • Davesnave
    edited 18 October 2019 at 8:49AM
    Apodemus wrote: »

There are some nice Rowan (Sorbus) cultivars around that give the same mix of all-season interest as the Crataegus in a similar sized-tree and without the thorns.
    My argument with Rowans is that I have never grown a good one. I've probably got half a dozen knocking around the place at present and they are too sparse.

In our previous garden, I planted a named variety ....except that it wasn't what the nursery said it was; just plain old Sorbus aucuparia. However, it was some years before I realised.:o

In the garden before that, I planted Sorbus vilmorinii and that did really well.....after we'd sold the house! :(

So, I'd say don't buy the bog standard Sorbus, which can be had for a few quid, but splash out on a named one with a RHS AGM: something like Sheerwater Seedling or Streetwise.

Plenty to consider here:

https://www.hillier.co.uk/trees/products/a-to-z/

I prefer the Whitebeams . :)
  • Thanks for the replied.

Never even heard of the trees mentioned, the site mentioned (https://www.hillier.co.uk/trees/products/a-to-z/) looks great and very detailed - I have a job for the weekend :)
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'd probably also avoid the monkey puzzle, but at 15m away from the house I think you could get away with it if you really want one.

Cotoneaster Cornubia is a non-native alternatve to Hawthorn and has the advantage of being semi evergreen.
  • Davesnave
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    Cotoneaster Cornubia is a non-native alternatve to Hawthorn and has the advantage of being semi evergreen.
    Yes, it's one of my go-to trees, or it can be kept smaller by pruning.

In my last garden, the berries persisted till the Redwings had them in early winter. They were a little messy, but there was a bonus in the fact that the birds left 'presents,' which would turn into hollies and other useful plants!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure