Timeshare Scam?

My Father-in-Law recently was contacted by phone by a company called Diamond Consulting Ltd. from Basildon. They claim to be acting on behalf of the Spanish Court in relation to a case against a company called Incentive Leisure Group who have allegedly been ordered to pay compensation to timeshare owners for a scam involving the reselling of timeshares and replacing it with holiday club ownership. You've guessed it, Diamond want £995 up front to be deposited in a Nat West Bank account in return for the payment to be released (in this case £14,400). Initial reaction is of course that this is a scam, but enquiries with Companies House and long conversations with both the initial caller and a manager at Diamond have got me wondering if it may be genuine. I can find nothing on line about the company except Companies House stuff and nothing on any forums.
Anyone got any knowledge?
I am awaiting a written offer from Diamond before considering my [well, my Father-in-Law's] next course of action.

Comments

• jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Scam, scam, scam, scam, scam.

You pay nearly £1k to get £14k released? Mmmmmm! Tell them to take the £1k out of the £14k.
  • https://www.timeshareconsumerassociation.org.uk/2019/08/21/sure-legal-scam/

Trust your gut feeling. The link above sounds very familiar.

Unsolicited call from a company using a legitimate (?) companies details asking for money up front. Even if it was above board, the company must realise that their mo replicates that of common scams.

Interesting to see if any paperwork arrives and what differences exist between that and details held on companies house.

Say you will send a cheque and wait for all the excuses under the sun and high pressure sales to get you to do a bank transfer.
    ::A
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Without question its a scam. My only advice, apart from thinking carefully before investing (their description of payments, not mine) in a timeshare is never, ever pay money to either get rid of it or to receive compensation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure