Avoiding Oil stocks in a FTSE tracker

Options

Comments

• itwasntme001
    itwasntme001 Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It wouldn't really be a UK tracker if you avoided BP or Shell.

If this is an ethical quandary you find yourself in then why not invest in a UK FTSE tracker but make donations to charity to salve your conscience?

Why stop there? Why don't those who are so against the oil sector stop taking flights, stop buying anything which uses plastic, stop driving cars or any public transport using oil based fuel, stop using electricity and gas in your home?
  • itwasntme001
    Options
    Since presumably the stock prices of oil companies is lower then it should be due to those investors who consciously chose not to invest in them due to this absurd climate crisis craze, these very same oil companies would feel the pressure to up their oil production in order to sell more to help boost profits and keep shareholders happy (all else being equal). Oh the irony!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why stop there? Why don't those who are so against the oil sector stop taking flights, stop buying anything which uses plastic, stop driving cars or any public transport using oil based fuel, stop using electricity and gas in your home?

You can buy electric cars you know and plenty of renewable only electricity deals.
  • itwasntme001
    Options
    You can buy electric cars you know and plenty of renewable only electricity deals.

That is good - these people should do that. At least it means cheaper prices for oil related goods and services for me.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That is good - these people should do that. At least it means cheaper prices for oil related goods and services for me.

Do you not care about the future of the planet?
  • Brian65
    Brian65 Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    I've always been a bit of Global Warming sceptic - as least as far as it being a man-made phenomena, but I'm very concerned about a new Apocalyptic scenario that I've only just become aware of.
    It all started this afternoon, when I was raking up some leaves in the garden, and I was visited unexpectedly by an old acquaintance of mine, Professor Boffin.
    Standing watching me at my raking, he began to shake his head sadly, and when I asked him the reason for his gloominess, he explained that the effects of over-population were causing the leaves to fall, and that it would be a harsh world indeed once they had all gone, never to be seen again.
    As you can imagine, I was horrified, and felt quite depressed after he'd gone.
    Luckily, my next-door neighbour is also a Professor, and I went straight round to him to tell him the news that leaves were falling off the trees because of over-population, and that we would never see leaves again.
    He sat me down, gave me a cup of tea, then went on for some considerable time, using all manner of technical terms, and illustrating his talk with graphs and diagrams.
    At the end of it I was as perplexed as when he'd begun, and I told him I was a simple soul, and could he perhaps tell me the worst in layman's terms?
    He thought for a moment, then said, "Well, basically ... and subject to certain critera, it's all !!!!!!!!. You see, it's simply Autumn."
    "Autumn?" I gasped in surprise. "You ... you mean ... like last year?"
    He smiled indulgently. "And like the year before that, and the year before that, and for many, many years before those."
    My mind struggled to grasp the concept. "But over-population is a problem, isn't it?" I asked.
    "Oh, yes," he replied. "But it isn't making the leaves fall of the trees - that just happens every twelve months."
    "But Professor Boffin told me ..."
    "Oh, he may well believe it," said my neighbour, generously, "but many people who put forward such theories don't really believe in them themselves."
    This was too much for my poor addled brain to take in. "Then why would they say such things?" I queried, open-mouthed.
    By way of an answer he showed me an advertisement in the local paper. It was for the position Falling Leaf Advisor with the local council, at £100,000 per annum.
    [FONT=&quot]Finally the penny dropped, and I knew in that instant that Falling Leaves is a serious, even apocalyptic problem that has to be dealt with, and that I must play my part[/FONT]
  • itwasntme001
    Options
    Do you not care about the future of the planet?

I do, i just do not believe we have any climate crisis problem.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Brian65, no offence but I'll trust scientists/experts more than you.
  • itwasntme001
    Options
    Brian65, no offence but I'll trust scientists/experts more than you.

And "scientists/experts" always get it right and are never biased? Right!

You are very naive.

There are also scientists/experts who have shown there is no evidence of man-made climate change.

Also what ever happened to global warming? Why is it called climate change all of a sudden? Because there is evidence the world is getting cooler, not warmer. So there is a need to change the title of the "crisis" to climate change - that way no one can refute it on the surface!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

For many it's neither a practical nor viable alternative (as yet).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure