Windows and Lintels - Ventrolla

Comments

• OMG - I didn't realise we had to do that, should they have mentioned that we need to do that!?!
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    OMG - I didn't realise we had to do that, should they have mentioned that we need to do that!?!

You have a duty of care to yourself to either make an Application for Regulations, or have sought a FENSA self certification certificate. Either mechanism should have been set in motion before the windows were ever ordered, let alone fiitted!
  • This is impossible - I have been trying for ages to post pictures, but says that as I am a new user I am not allowed to post with links.

How can I attached pictures for you to see?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This is impossible - I have been trying for ages to post pictures, but says that as I am a new user I am not allowed to post with links.

How can I attached pictures for you to see?

For new users, the easiest option is to post the images in a web site somewhere. Then mangle the web site address slightly to fool this forum into thinking it's just text you're typing. Adding in a space or two should be enough.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Clairebare1
    Clairebare1 Posts: 86 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2015 at 12:11AM
    http: //clairebare1.netai. net/Img_4863A2.jpg
    http: //clairebare1.netai. net/Img_4864A2.jpg
    http: //clairebare1.netai. net/Img_4866A2.jpg
    http: //clairebare1.netai. net/Img_4859A2.jpg

Thanks Ectophile for the couple of spaces hint.

3 of these pictures are of the same window (a close up of the cut wood in the wall and further back internal and external pictures).

The remaining picture is of the wood that has been removed from above the windows, different sizes and woods by the look of it.

Let me know what you think
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    That first picture worries me - is this where they have removed the larger timbers that continue into the wall either side?
    If so they are effectively the lintels (albeit old school) and should have been either left in place or another form of support should have ben added once the timber was removed.
    You effectivel have internal brickwork sitting on foam and upvc :(
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • Personally the wood does seem to be rather large to be part of the framework of the sash window here, The images of the window fitted look like they are fine as well and really I think to be 100% sure a picture of a window unchanged but showing the full inside of the actual window and fittings with any outside trim removed is a must to be sure.

Also saying that the wood in the picture 4 looks large does not mean it is a lintel of sorts, It could still be the framework of said window and is fine to be removed, Once foam is set it does tend to go quite hard and with this above a pvc frame would be pretty secure albeit not in place of a lintel.
  • Ruski wrote: »
    That first picture worries me - is this where they have removed the larger timbers that continue into the wall either side?
    If so they are effectively the lintels (albeit old school) and should have been either left in place or another form of support should have ben added once the timber was removed.
    You effectivel have internal brickwork sitting on foam and upvc :(

It is difficult to tell for sure as you really need before and after pictures for us to say that it is fine or no you need to worry, I agree that the wood removed looks slightly suspect here but also with that said when I removed some of these they really were all different inside with various sized pieces of timber within it and part of the frame work.

I would go back to my previous point that may put your mind at rest here and ask you did the timber removed have a fixing from the actual sash window or was it completely separate ?
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    So what is now supporting the internal brickwork? There's no way a 4x3 would be used as part of the sash frame tbh. And it wouldn't be extended into the brickwork.

The only way this is acceptable is if the internal brickwork is also self-supporting - but as there's (was!!) a huge chunk of timber under it I very much doubt it!

The external brickwork is fine it's not an issue, the internal is more concerning.

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family