Trying to make the sensible choice

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hurrah for cooking own food. I wanted a takeaway too but I am eating what is in fridge instead!!!! :beer:
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Good for you savingwannabe!

I had a trip into town this morning and the shops are just filled with such lovely things - you could spend an absolute fortune. But I refrained (happy dance!). We made do with a few small treats - a couple of drinks in a well known coffee chain and a little thing from the toy shop. As I managed to wangle free parking total spends came to only £6.20.

Had a couple of extra mouths to feed at dinner tonight but there was plenty of left overs from yesterday’s dinner to go round - and still an extra portion of pudding left for the chef!

None of this is wildly exciting stuff but I’m hoping to see some good results from all my restraint. Will do a review of my progress each Sunday and declare how much I have been able to set aside from that week’s budget. I love my budget and don’t know how anyone manages without one!
  • savingwannabe
    It's great when you can see results quickly and v motivating. Yum did you say pudding??????
  • Oh yes savingwannabe, pudding this weekend was homemade chocolate fudge cake. We like to bake, but only if it is cheaper than buying and little to no hassle recipes!
  • Ending the week on a high after another no spend day.

Out and about lots today but took snacks and drinks so resisted the lure of the drive though. Then to usual family dinner to which I contribute food but have it cooked for me - bliss!

From time to time I keep a spending diary which I feel really keeps me accountable. So I have started this up again. I like how you can simply glance at it and know whether you are doing well or not that week - generally, short list = good, long list = bad!

So first week seems to have been roaring success. 3 no spend days, mindful spending and able to set aside a little to get things started.

Hopefully do even better next week.
  • Found myself in the dreaded Golden Arches today but exercised massive restraint and only ordered something off the saver menu. So only spend today was that 99p. Low spend day declared!

Tomorrow will definitely not be as I need petrol and food shop. Going to make a list and check out the offers online tonight. Like to be prepared before I venture in amongst temptation.

Considering listing a few things on flea bay tonight. I have a real love/hate relationship with it - really worth the effort when you get a few bids on something but when you sell an item for 99p and end up with about 17p profit I get fed up quite quickly. Will try to muster a bit of enthusiasm for it here!
  • Just lost my post (rolls eyes)

The gist was didn’t spend too much today and have listed a few things to sell.

Better update tomorrow!
  • Didn’t spend as much as I had planned yesterday. Just £20 on petrol, £6.85 food shop and £1.78 on snacks while out and about.

Have quite a few watchers on one of my items listed on the bay so hopefully that will sell. If I could make £5 profit that would at least be better than it lying in a drawer unused.

We had acquired some clothes as presents which we really don’t need for this season so I took them back and exchanged them for the few things that are needed for over the winter. Spent £1.50 making up the difference and other than £2.50 on a class that was all I spent today.

Heading in to town tomorrow - temptation central. Going to take the bus which should be at least half the price of the car park. Have got some more clothes to exchange, hopefully for some that can be put away for next winter. Going with a relative so there will have to be some sort of meal but will see if I can find a deal or voucher to make use of.

Feel like I should be posting some hard numbers of money saved but I am worried it is a little early in the month for this, likely jinx it and financial crisis will ensue!
  • savingwannabe
    Well done on low spending and on exchanging clothes. Keep selling your things. I wish I was creative and had something to sell and you can cook too.

Stay positive you are doing vv well.
  • Hi SparklyPurse (fab name btw!) and welcome! It sounds like you're making an excellent start :beer:

If you're a bit of a numbers geek, I find that rounding down my bank balance on a daily basis (as suggested already) and keeping a spreadsheet of savings (or in my case, also mortgage overpayments) is super motivating!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure