Notifying the DVLA of a medical condition

Options
I opted to give up driving for several years as I was finding it hard with a medical condition. I have decided to return to driving and have take some refresher lessons and been driving with my partner in the car and short drives alone. All of this has been done with the agreement of my consultant. They have now asked me to inform the DVLA of my medical condition. I had not done so as it is not on the DVLA's list of conditions which must be reported and it was my choice to stop. I phoned the DVLA today and they are sending out forms for me to fill in. Does anyone know how long this process takes?
Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200

Comments

• B_G_B
    B_G_B Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    In my case, with a diagnosis of MS, It took nearly 3 months to change to a restricted licence that was valid for 3 years.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    From a friend's experience it can take several months.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you to you both, much appreciated :)
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was swapped to 3 years medical Licence within a few months of making Dvla know of m,s. Online.
    Next year is 3rd year -could be my 1st renewal, hopefully.

OP definitely continue to notify Dvla -best to avoid any insurance issues.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have a disabled chap - living just down the road - he stopped driving a car, about 5 or 6 years ago and got himself a mobility scooter (presumably 8mph) - he drives it in to town, down a dual carriageway, he drives it round roundabouts as if he was the only "vehicle" on the road - he sticks to the outside lane if turning right at the roundabout, holding up all of the normal traffic - and worst of all, he often has one or two small kids on the scooter with him !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure