PIP Descriptor "managing therapy"

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone will be able to clarify something that is mentioned in one of the descriptors.

In activity 3 for daily living, it says as follows:

manage therapeutic activities that are carried out in a domestic setting that are prescribed or recommended by a registered doctor, nurse, pharmacist or health professional regulated by the Health Professions Council;

For the BIB, does this mean that therapeutic activities that have not specifically been recommended by a health professional as mentioned will be automatically disregarded?

I have tried my best to talk to a health professional but have not been successful, as I have agoraphobia and obtaining help when you cannot get anywhere is impossible. I have tried to have email consultations with my doctor, but have not been able to ever secure one (I am sure anyone who has agoraphobia will understand just how impossible it is to actually speak to a professional about it)

Also, does anyone know if exposure therapy will count? As it is not technically undertaken in the home environment, but it is undertaken on the streets outside my home.

Any help would be appreciated,
thank you.

Comments

• If it is something you have decided to do and not been prescribed or recommended then it's not therapy!
  • :rotfl:

Yes, thank you.

That's not what I asked though to be fair.
  • It kinda is. In that if it's not therapy it can't be counted for points.

Otherwise we'd count all sorts as therapy just because we felt like doing!
  • Exposure therapy is not something that I "feel like doing"

If I do not do it, there is a very real chance that I could become completely housebound, or even room bound.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If the therapy hasn't been prescribed or recommended for the claimant by a registered health professional or pharmacist then you won't score any points for this activity.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#daily-living-activities
  • Actually that guidance says (in part) this about therapy:
    Whilst medication and therapy do not necessarily have to be prescribed, there must be a consensus of medical opinion that supports their use in treatment of the condition, hence the necessity for them to be prescribed or recommended for the claimant by a registered health professional or pharmacist.

In the assessor's report they might try to disregard it if it's not been specifically prescribed, but if you have to appeal it you should be able to find enough official evidence to back up its use.
    EDIT: Though obviously if you can somehow get through to anyone it would be best - even some form of online counselling with a registered professional? I don't know if they do that here in the UK, I've only heard of it in the US so far.

the section 'Safely', one of the examples of risks of harm is
    Failure to carry out therapy which is likely to lead to a significant deterioration of an individual’s health condition as a result.

I don't know if it would count as wholly in the domestic setting, but surely the initiating of it is in the home? As in, you have to actually start the exposure by setting foot out of the door, so half the battle (presumably) is making yourself do it in the first place. Although actually if you were to become roombound, exposure therapy would certainly be in the home, at least to start.
    *I don't know the legal position of this, just looking at it logically* It can't hurt to put as much down on your form as possible!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

I don't know if it would count as wholly in the domestic setting, but surely the initiating of it is in the home?
    This was taken from the above link.

This activity only applies to medication or therapy delivered in the home environment i.e. where the claimant lives (and may include care homes).

This means the therapy must be completed in the claimants home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure