Spark Energy ripoff

So I joined Spark Energy in May 2017 and received my first bill in December 2017 despite requesting a bill at the end of June 2017. My first bill was and is still £3700!

This bill is for gas and electric use for 7/8months. I live in a 2 bedroom flat in NW London and I have 2 children who attend school. I work full time also.

At first I thought it was a joke, was I paying for the whole block? Did I have an old credit meter installed? Surely my children and I are coulnd not have consumed almost £4000 worth of energy in 7 months! I complained and only in June 2018 did they decide to install a check meter. I complained to Energy Ombudsman whose remedie was for Spark to investigate the faulty meter via the check meter and confirm in writing their findings. They installed the check meter however they never removed it and as such never completed their investigations.
I've asked everyone what their annual Bill's are like, and I've never been told more than £1500 and that's even in cases where the person doesn't work and stays at home all day using gas and electric.

I'm going round in circles with spark, they ignore my emails and complaints yet still demand their money.

What shall I do?!

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,056
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can you give us some ACTUAL meter readings please - when you started with Spark and today
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If this £3700 bill was issued in December 2017 and there have been no bills since, then it seems that the "Back-billing" rules should apply to your billing

Putting the cost of the first 7 months aside for a moment - Back-billing rules that where a supplier fails to issue bills for 12 months or more,they can only bill for the last 12 months,and those 12 months are calculated back from when they do issue a bill

ie If they issue a 2nd bill today on 18th July 2018, they can only charge for Enegy and/or Gas used after July 19th 2017

As already asked for, what are the meter readings on the bill ?
    Are they actual readings by a Meter Reader or yourself, or are they Estimates - Denoted by anE on the bill ?
    What meter reading did you give to Spark when moving in ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure