Freecycle (Merged Thread)

Comments

• starlite_2
    starlite_2 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    I'm a member of freecycle London,and usually get20+ requests for items Ioffer.
    This gives me the opportunity to pick the most 'deserving' cause.
    You can always tell which are people that are just after anything and willsell it on, as they don't bother to write anything other than.
    ''yes please, call me 0xxxxxxxxxxx'' or some such.

Ours certainly doesn't allow pets. Someone was recently banned for persistently advertising frogspawn!
    Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
  • starlite_2
    oh..and sloughflint - it's best to use email that youcan organise and filter well, i.e view 'wanted, offered' only etc
  • sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Thank you starlite. So from the homepage, can I ignore the yahoo join group bit? Wasn't sure what that was all about. I'm about to resubscribe with an email address solely for this purpose.
  • starlite_2
    no you have to join.
    you can choose to unsubscribe from the emails, and just go to the yahoo page to browse!
    might be a good idea if you don't want loads of emails to trawl through..with the london one I sometimes get 400 a day!eek
  • sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Oh I see! Thanks. So I did things the wrong way round. I hadn't really joined properly then only the email side of things.
    When I join, I will see more then? At the mo, homepage is quite limited.
    Off to have a play around with it now.
  • oops_a_daisy
    oops_a_daisy Posts: 2,460
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I would recomend freecycle too. I have given away an old TV & Video this week that I didnt think anybody would want as they do not have sockets to play games on but a very nice lady came to collect and they will really be of use to her, much better than collecting dust in my house till I get round to sorting them out :p I have freecycled some old childrens stuff too and it is nice to get a thanks reply from the person that collects. My daughter recently needed some rollerblades for a show she was in - instead of going out and buying them I placed a wanted ad and got 2 offers. I am glad I didnt buy them because they have changed the show now and they dont need the rollerblades anymore. I do get a bit cross when people just put wanted ads on there for a laptop or other luxury items like that - they are obviously abusing the system. They never give anything back - just want.
    :cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool:
  • katiev007_2
    katiev007_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    check out https://www.freecycle.org.
    to quote "The Freecycle Network™ is made up of many individual groups across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by clicking on the region on the left. You may then go directly to your local group by clicking on "Go To" or you may immediately joining by clicking on "Join." It will generate an automatic e-mail which, when sent, will sign you up for the local group and send you a response with instructions on how it works. Can't find a group near you? You might want to consider starting one (click on "Start a Group" for instructions). Have fun!"
    I'm in the oxford group and I have given stuff away on it (not rubbish but just stuff I didn't need anymore and didn't want to sell) and I haven't met a freecycler I didn't like. There is such a variety of things listed from modems to car speakers to eczema clothes (?) that it's worth waiting to see if someone is giving away something you need/want. This is moneysaving in a pure (almost saintly) unadulterated form.....would love to hear of other peoples experience of it
    :beer:
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,702
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am a new convert here in Kent, have given away half a dozen things and got one thing, think its wonderful, just hope it doesn't get abused in any way by some folks. I would be interested to hear other peoples experiences, in my personal opinion, some of the requests shall we say have been rather 'aspirational' for want of a better word

My own experience this last week convinced me of the merits, I am starting a wormery and listed a request for a ready made one, and two people emailed me and advised me how to construct one of our own using - of course - recycled/reused items which we have now made. They have also been very helpful with advice to us.

My overall feeling is that its great and I intend to use it to recycle any unwanted goods rather than trying to ebay/boot fair or sell in the future.
    Carolbee
  • purplepixi
    purplepixi Posts: 151
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was a bit aprehensive at first, but it's very good.

I joined the Wallingford group (Oxfordshire), and got rid of a bike thats been outside for the last year.

Getting rid of things is great, but the wanted ads don't seem to get much attention.
  • Anastacia
    Anastacia Posts: 470 Forumite
    I joined the Southampton Group a couple of weeks back.
    I have received a hoe & an offer of tomato plants, given away 30 pairs of earrings, a hamster cage & a box of dried flowers. Slowly emptying out the house now of things that were too nice to chuck out but that i really dont need anymore. Its just great.

Anastacia
    ....another happy bug.........sorry,blogger embracing the simple life
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family