Creation Consumer Finance - Warning

Comments

• Yesterday I received a letter from Wescot Debt Collection saying i owed £50 to Richards (remember them!) - I called them totally agog to what this was all about to be told by Wescot that it was outstanding from 1997!!!! I have lived at my current address since 1994 to date but had a brief spell of renting a property in Essex for 6 months - never selling my own property! They say they have just 'found' me and sent the letter on their clients behalf namely Creation Financial Services! I have never 'hid' to be 'found' I have also been registered at my home of 18yrs on electoral register and so why now have I had this letter from a debt collector with no details as to the nature of debt until I phoned their 0844 number to only be given scant information ie. that it was Richards and my last payment of Oct 1996! If CFS had 'found' me why can't they send me a nice letter with all details regarding this so that I might be able to help them and IF I owed anything would indeed pay! However, the Debt Co is now going back to CFS as I asked for more details and have no idea how or why I should owe anything! Totally unaware of anything owed or wrong! Are these people incapable of writing their own letters - I feel so incensed to have received a letter from a Debt Collector when I had never owed or defaulted on any loans/agreements. I have an Experian account last checked last year and nowhere on it is anything like this on it my report. How does this happen???
  • ianross
    ianross Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2012 at 1:24AM
    Bought a lounge suite from Land of Leather in 2004, with £100 deposit and balance on the 'interest free' for a year plan . . and naively (with the help of an extremely 'pushy' fast-talking salesman) signed 'agreement' for a PPP (Payment Protection Plan) that added another £260 to the total 'loan' amount of £2002. Unfortunately didn't manage to pay off before the year was up, but did make regular payments for 4 years, until I became unemployed . . . and tried in vain to get hold of the finance company - yes, 'our friends Creation Finance'. Although Land of Leather never told me who was financing my 'loan' nor given ANY means of contact or detail about Creation. So when after 4 years of making the monthly payments without a problem or needing to consider the fact that I knew nothing of the finance company, nor had I received ANY communication or correspondence from them!
    In 2007 I became unemployed and in financial trouble, I needed to 'trace' who the 'mysterious' finance company was, in an attempt to discuss my position and ask if the PPP I had paid, would be beneficial at that time. With only the debit payment code in my bank statements, that correlated to the monthly payments I knew to be the Land of Leather purchase, was I able to 'trace' Creation Finance. However, their website had no contact numbers, nor even an email address (none that I could find in 2008). All I managed to get was a number to an automated payment line, that required an access PIN. I had no option but to ask the bank to stop the debit payments, at least until Creation made some effort to get in touch with me. . . Instead of contacting me, they apparently decided to hand my 'account' over to Wescot Debt Collection, who demanded an amount from me that didn't correlate with my estimates. . . and I could only estimate, as I never had a single statement. Even Wescot could not supply me with any account or payment history/statements and (after my repeated requests for documentation) said they were not taking the matter further.
    HOWEVER - three months ago (i.e. 8 years since the purchase and three years since Wescot!) I received a 'fresh demand' from another debt collection company, who, after my insistence, eventually managed to obtain a 'so-called statement' (presumably from Creation) with the 'usual' threats to do everything, short of burning me at a stake...
    The latest is that I have made them a settlement offer, but conditional to the PPP being deducted or 'worked out' against the amount being demanded of me . . . Of course I am still 'clueless' as to what the PPP was/is all about and today I received a 'final demand' from the 'new' debt collectors, seemingly ignoring my last correspondence. . .
  • HDRW
    HDRW Posts: 5 Forumite
    :mad:
    I saw a direct debit on my bank account from "Creations" and had no idea what it was for, so I looked them up and called them, and they said they couldn't tell me who it was for, so I cancelled it, thinking it may be bogus.

Then I had a letter from my house-insurance broker (Quoteline Direct) and another from Creation Consumer Finance telling me I was in default. (Is a single failed DD payment a default, or is there some time to pay afterwards?).

So having found it was my house insurance - I had no idea I was setting up an account with anyone other than the insurers - I phoned up to pay to find they had added £15 for the "default" and it would cost me £3 to pay by Debit Card! I thought Debit cards were cheap to process? They "kindly" waived the £15 fee as it was my first "default", but I still had to pay the £3 for paying them...

Anyway, later on to check that the DD was set up OK I went onto my Co-Op bank web site, and clicked on the Creations entry, and checked the details. Then I clicked "OK" - Mistake! I later found that clicking on a DD puts you into "Delete" mode and clicking "OK" deletes it! I'll be complaining to the Co-Op about their dreadful web site ergonomics.

So I got another letter from Quoteline and one from Creations, saying I owe them the payment plus the £15, and phoning them they say they won't waive it again (the person I spoke to kept telling me it was in their Ts&Cs, which I don't remember ever seeing), so I had to pay them £33.98 for owing them £15.98 for a week.

I consider this predatory behaviour, and I want to know who I can complain to about it. I'm certainly going to tell Quoteline that I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Any ideas who I should contact?

- Howard
  • I bought a laptop on finance a couple of years ago and it ended up being dealt with by creation Finance.
    It was supposed to be paid off last August but I was stil being billed for it until this morning when I cancelled the direct debit myself.

I tried to phone them up to find out what was going on, but the number has been disconnected, and I then find out that they have gone bust due to not keeping enough in the bank to pay off their debts.
    If they want they can repossess the laptop, which didn't last long anyway, it will make a nice paper weight to help them keep their files in order.

Never again
  • OK, I'm worried now. We bought a mattress from Dreams a month ago, on Buy Now, Pay Later, and interest free. First payment is the beginning of July and it's repayable over 12 months...
  • I wouldn't worry too much about the excess charge with Dreams as its stated in the contract. Check it if you are unsure.

I've ordered from Dreams myself but its been a bit of a nightmare.
    My Wife and I ordered a bed and matress in mid December (16th Dec if i remember correctly) with a proposed delivery date of 23rd Dec. Dreams phoned a few days before hand and said that they couldn't do it, but can do early-ish Jan. Ok, fair enough, it was Xmas and probably busy.
    Jan came, nothing. phoned up and it they state they have delivered it even though they have not. Apologised and that it'll be mid March before they can get the bed frame again. ok.... I let you off again.
    Mid March, went in store and they confirm that they get it in stock on the 19th Mar so should get a phone call for delivering the week or 2 after that and gave us £200 to messing my wife and I about.
    End of March, got a receipt for £200 being added to my account but no word of the bed. Phoned up again, and turns out they couldn't find the order... so they deleted it.

We are going to cancel and go elsewhere. but here's where its get tricky. Dreams contract states that they won't start the Direct Debit until we get the bed, and suprise suprise deductions for Feb and March have been taken out by Creation. Dreams are holding the cancelling for as long as they can so therefore the April deduction is going to happen soon.

So, if I stop the Direct Debit that Creation are taking, are there going to be any consquences for me even though it was Dreams that has broken the contract several times?
  • Hi everyone, I too feel your pain, this company seriously sucks!!!! We have a never ending agreement with them. Despite our best efforts to pay this debt off it never completes. In a nutshell we have never missed a payment, made serious overpayments (one for £8000 when we sold our house) following this payment in June last year we received a letter from them to say your balance has now been paid in full many thanks blah blah blah, I called the following month to ensure there were no more (misunderstandings) only to be told there had been a mistake and the balance was actually £1118.28!!! !!!!!!??? Despite numerous phone calls I was assured this was the remaining balance, I continued to pay £238.38 per month (not including a £3 fee for paying by debit card), I called again to make a payment in march and asked what the settlement figure was and was told £339.38 to be paid by the 8th of April, when I called on the 6th of April I was told the balance was 517.56???? Unbelievable!!! I have tried tirelessly to get this rectified but they are now ignoring my calls or cutting me off when I quote my account number....... Bloody cowboys, please please please when taking out any agreement make sure it is not with creation consumer finance!!!!! It will only end up in tears and they will without a doubt be your own.
  • Donki
    Donki Posts: 36 Forumite
    I have used them on about 5 seperate occasions with Harvy Norman, Currys and PC World over the years and never had a problem with them.
  • Myself and my partner have never had any trouble with any other company all our bills are always paid on time so we have perfect credit scores, hence the reason we do not want to withhold payments, look at the figures above and do the Maths. Before they began to ignore my calls a "supervisor" informed me I had been given an out of date settlement figure and the problem would be rectified etc etc promised to call back within 48 hrs which she didn't, I called 5 days later and when I asked to speak with this " supervisor" I was informed no one with that name worked for the company?.. This has happened on 2 occasions now with so called supervisors in the company they provide you with names to call and other deny knowledge of their existence, the third supervisor I spoke with has denied any of this existed as there are no recorded calls to prove it! Convenient don't you think.......
  • I had an interest free credit loan with Creation finance for some professional audio equipment I bought. I paid the 10% deposit as required and signed the credit agreement... They took £26 a month for 2 years until the interest free loan was paid off.

I suffered no problems with Creation finance.... They do send a lot of spam mail when your an existing customer trying to get you to sign up to a loan (with interest).

I didn't have to ring them once, signed the agreement, paid every monthly instalment, I got a letter once the loan had been paid and that was it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure