Energy Complaints & The Ombudsman

poshphil
poshphil Posts: 38 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
]I have written about the issues we have had with our gas in other threads. To summarise:

• Moved into new build house and there was an issue with the gas meter.
  • Understood supplier to be EON and rang them in January to resolve, they advised they could see the issue and it would take around 6 weeks to resolve.
  • Rang after no progress in April, and again was told they were unsure why it hadn't processed and they could see what needed to be done and would do it, this would take a further 4-6 weeks to sort out.
  • I put in a complaint at this point. 8 weeks passed with no response so after a further weeks grace I took the complaint to the Ombudsman.
  • Shortly after this, I received a response to my complaint from E.On to advise they haven't supplied my gas since 17th January and so they were closing my complaint. We did not switch suppliers ourselves (the meter is registered incorrectly), and the supply moved prior to me making any contact with E.On. I responded to say I wished to reopen the complaint as I did not understand why no-one at any point in the prior 5 months had advised they were not supplying gas.

I have now heard that my complaint has also been closed at the Ombudsman. The reason given is "This complaint falls outside our terms of reference. We have referred the complaint to our Networks Team who may be in a position to help".

I can perhaps understand why, because some of the issues are out of E.On's hands, but the complaint was raised as a customer service one and I feel like taking 5 months to tell me they don't supply the gas is fairly crap customer service regardless of the rest.

So, my question now is does this mean I now need to raise a further complaint with E.On because if anything, I am more unhappy it took 5 months for someone to tell me they didn't supply the gas. It looks like I have no option to go back to the ombudsman to discuss this so I assume I'm back at the start of the process?

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    poshphil wrote: »
    ]I have written about the issues we have had with our gas in other threads. To summarise:

• Moved into new build house and there was an issue with the gas meter.
    • Understood supplier to be EON and rang them in January to resolve, they advised they could see the issue and it would take around 6 weeks to resolve.
    • Rang after no progress in April, and again was told they were unsure why it hadn't processed and they could see what needed to be done and would do it, this would take a further 4-6 weeks to sort out.
    • I put in a complaint at this point. 8 weeks passed with no response so after a further weeks grace I took the complaint to the Ombudsman.
    • Shortly after this, I received a response to my complaint from E.On to advise they haven't supplied my gas since 17th January and so they were closing my complaint. We did not switch suppliers ourselves (the meter is registered incorrectly), and the supply moved prior to me making any contact with E.On. I responded to say I wished to reopen the complaint as I did not understand why no-one at any point in the prior 5 months had advised they were not supplying gas.

I have now heard that my complaint has also been closed at the Ombudsman. The reason given is "This complaint falls outside our terms of reference. We have referred the complaint to our Networks Team who may be in a position to help".

I can perhaps understand why, because some of the issues are out of E.On's hands, but the complaint was raised as a customer service one and I feel like taking 5 months to tell me they don't supply the gas is fairly crap customer service regardless of the rest.

So, my question now is does this mean I now need to raise a further complaint with E.On because if anything, I am more unhappy it took 5 months for someone to tell me they didn't supply the gas. It looks like I have no option to go back to the ombudsman to discuss this so I assume I'm back at the start of the process?

Hello poshphil and I'm sorry we didn't let you know earlier that we weren't your gas supplier.

I understand from a separate thread that you now know who the supplier is and have been in touch with them.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6020975

As this case has been to the Energy Ombudsman, we can only re-open the original complaint at the request of the Ombudsman. You'll need to contact them to ask them if they'll do this.

I'd suggest opening another complaint with us in respect of the customer service issues you've raised.

Sorry again this has dragged on poshphil.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure