Avoid being fleeced for mail order

Comments

• tehone
    tehone Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    parkrunner wrote: »
    All I did was click on "contact us" surely that's the right thing to do? Certainly what I always do if I need to contact a company.
    Totally agree with you, I can see how the OP might have been caught out though, especially as they managed not to turn over and read the other side of a piece of paper
  • snaver
    snaver Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    tehone wrote: »
    Totally agree with you, I can see how the OP might have been caught out though, especially as they managed not to turn over and read the other side of a piece of paper

Thank you for your sound advice and your kind comments about
    my low intellect, and that of my 87 year old mother, have been duly noted. DENSA here we come!
  • snaver
    Ian011 wrote: »
    While using an 0844 number for orders might be legal, it is a very bad decision. It exposes callers to call charges of up to 65p per minute (up to 72p per minute from 19 August 2019) while generating less than 7p per minute (before VAT is removed) revenue for the called party and their telecoms provider.

Once businesses become aware of what exactly it is that they are doing, most cease doing it very quickly. In many cases, these businesses have been talked into using an unsuitable telephone number by unscrupulous telecoms providers spreading false information about what callers are paying.

I did mention this when talking to the CEO's office (especially as their target market is the older community) and they said that it was the way they did business, admitting they profited from the use of the number, and if customers didn't like it, they needn't shop with Cotton Traders.
  • Yet another non-story thread because people are too dumb to read terms and conditions. Yawn.
  • snaver wrote: »
    Many customers (myself and my Mum included) therefore assume that, as with many mail order companies, these returns are free, as you are buying the items unseen

There's your issue right there. If you can't even do the basic due diligence before spending money, you deserve everything you get. Age has nothing to do with it btw, and shame on you for your rather ageist comments.
  • snaver
    edited 20 July 2019 at 3:58PM
    There's your issue right there. If you can't even do the basic due diligence before spending money, you deserve everything you get. Age has nothing to do with it btw, and shame on you for your rather ageist comments.

Many thanks for your comment, Camelot1971. I feel very embarrassed and ashamed about my ‘rather ageist comments’, and apologise unreservedly to you and anyone else who found these remarks offensive in any way. It was unintentional.

However, your statement ‘Age has nothing to do with it btw’ is questionable, as age, like illness, affects different people in different ways, the older they get or at any time. Sometimes, they ‘can’t even do the basic due diligence before spending money’, but rather than ‘deserving everything they get’, wouldn’t it be kinder if companies who cater for their needs, and profit from them, helped them to realise what they were getting into, with clarity rather than hiding the facts?

I feel I must justify my case against your rather intelligentist and sweeping comments.

Firstly, the terms and conditions are not printed anywhere in the catalogue (unlike the 0844 phone number, which is in large print at the bottom of every double page, without call charges). The T&Cs are just on the bottom of the separate order form sheet in writing so tiny that even I, as a relative youngster, need a magnifying glass to read. Those people whose eyesight has degenerated with age don’t stand a hope.

The panel between the two labels contains the following text:

How to return an item?
    (for UK customers only)

Hermes
    Hermes Parcelshops are open early in the morning and late at night, with convenient parking, at 5000 locations nationwide. Please attach your Hermes return label over your address on the parcel. Find your nearest Hermes Parcelshop at https://www.myhermes.co.uk/parcelshopfinder

Royal Mail
    Please attach the Royal Mail returns label over your address on the parcel and take it to a post office. Remember to ask for proof of postage. Track your return at https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item

Sounds really easy, doesn't it, postage already paid on the label, take it to the convenient shop or post office and get a receipt, lovely! but nowhere does it mention any charges for doing this. Many less savvy people would (wrongly) assume that it was free. They could have stated the £2.95 cost for returning a parcel in each of the two paragraphs, said PTO for details of charges, or put the labels themselves on the reverse of the return docket, where the charges are clearly printed.

I appreciate that my mother has assumed on this occasion and therefore 'deserves everything she gets’, but it would’ve been kinder and more transparent of Cotton Traders to mention these points, especially for those whose lack of intelligence and/or deteriorating physical or mental faculties mean that they can no longer ‘even do the basic due diligence’.
    Many thanks for your comment, Camelot1971. I feel very embarrassed and ashamed about my ‘rather ageist comments’, and apologise unreservedly to you and anyone else who found these remarks offensive in any way. It was unintentional.

Thanks for your apology.

BTW, I went to the Cotton Traders website and thought to myself "ooh, what if i want to return something, will it cost me anything?". So I scrolled down to the bottom of the main webpage to the FAQ: https://www.cottontraders.com/customer-service-faq

Went to the returns part and there it was, as clear as day about the cost of returns.

And there we go. I took responsibility for my own actions and can now make a decision on whether to buy something or not. Maybe you can write to them and ask if they can provide a website just for you, in giant text with big arrows pointing down to the returns part?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Is it too late to go out and buy popcorn?

I think Camelot1971 has it right about making assumptions.
    It doesn't matter what age you are, people do make assumptions.
    They assume they can return an item bought instore simply because they've changed their mind.
    Wrong.
    Lots of other examples I could give.

And that is really where your Mother went wrong.
    Her age is irrelevant.

I find the response of the CEO's office of Cotton Traders quite shocking:
    snaver wrote: »
    I did mention this when talking to the CEO's office (especially as their target market is the older community) and they said that it was the way they did business, admitting they profited from the use of the number, and if customers didn't like it, they needn't shop with Cotton Traders.
    Although I'm well within the right demographic according to the OP:
    snaver wrote: »
    Like many older people, my Mother can't get out as much as she used to and, not being internet savvy, likes to be independent and order clothes by phone from Cotton Traders. This is a good company, selling clothes, shoes etc, aimed at those over 50, which sends glossy catalogues by post on a regular basis and allows customers to place orders by phone, post or online. However, based on recent experiences I've had on my Mother's behalf, they are not quite as user friendly or transparent as they could be...
    I've never bought any item from Cotton Traders - either from a shop, online or charity shop - and doubt I ever will, but even if it was a shop I have bought from or would consider buying from, I'd cease to give them a penny of my money from now after this ^^^^ response. :(

I'm sure the OP's mother will thank me for my kind words. :cool:
    My 87 year old Mum thanks you for your kind words, pretty7WOWers, and is sorry you feel her desire for independence and lack of internet knowledge and gullibility 'dumb'. I know I am the dumb one for posting this, not realising that everyone on this site is far from dumb and I am in a minority. I appreciate your forthright truthfulness and am glad to have got you one step closer to your MSE troll badge. Every good wish from us both and keep up the good work.

It's always someone else's fault, isn't it?
    Quite why someone can't look for information (without first making assumptions) is beyond me. Age is irrelevant.
  • snaver
    edited 21 July 2019 at 2:52AM
    Thanks for your apology.

BTW, I went to the Cotton Traders website and thought to myself "ooh, what if i want to return something, will it cost me anything?". So I scrolled down to the bottom of the main webpage to the FAQ: https://www.cottontraders.com/customer-service-faq

Went to the returns part and there it was, as clear as day about the cost of returns.

And there we go. I took responsibility for my own actions and can now make a decision on whether to buy something or not. Maybe you can write to them and ask if they can provide a website just for you, in giant text with big arrows pointing down to the returns part?

The apology is meant and my pleasure, Camelot, as I am net out to offend anyone, just to stick up for myself and my old Mum, preferably without being ridiculed, insulted or trolled, especially as the post was merely made to help anyone who might find themselves, or elder loved ones, in a similar situation.

I am also very pleased to read about your research and actions. I know the Silver Surfer community is huge and ever growing and am delighted you are part of this. Your idea of giant text with big arrows is also great, although unless you can find a solution to what I'm about to say, it sadly won't work, as there are two problems... firstly my Mother is fiercely independent and won't let me help her when she can, or feels that she can do something herself. Secondly, her electric typewriter (which she still has from work days, and uses from time to time), only connects to mains electricity and NOT the internet! This is why I have only been mentioning the paper catalogues, order forms and physical labels. Had she come to me and asked for help, before doing it herself, I too would have thought 'ooh' and done exactly the same as you, telling her the situation and avoiding this whole sorry post in the first place.

I wish I was being sarcastic about the above points, but I'm sadly not. As I'm sure you and your family know, having an elderly person around is rewarding, but extremely stressful at times, especially when they think they're in the right but can't even do the basic due diligence. While I respect your earlier comment, some of us really don't deserve everything we get, but hey, that's life!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback