Symbio Energy feedback

Comments

• MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,076
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have again spoken to the company today and they advise you do not have to have a smart meter installed to qualify for their tariffs and they are changing this in their terms and conditions. I have asked them to confirm this in writing to me and they are sending through this on email.

Also I explained my fixed tariff does not finish with my present supplier until 24th April they have agreed to delay my application so the supply does not start until 25th April. Therefore will give them a try.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why are posters against Smart Meters? I have one with my present company, and I note when the reading seems to be high (I have left a light on in a room / I haven't switched of an appliance etc.)

Presumably if you don't like them you can ignore them, but don't they send your useage to the utility company?
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why are posters against Smart Meters?

There has been discussion at Treasury level that as more and more people switch to electric vehicles, the Exchequer will lose tax revenue from fuel sales.

With a smart meter fittted in the home, it will be able to know when an electric car is attached to the home network and charging, making the electricity used for charging the car viewable/available to be identified separately for taxation purposes.

In the future, if you don't want to pay a higher tax on the electric used to charge your electric car, you may wish to avoid/resist having a Smart meter fitted for as long as possible.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,076
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    So far very impressed with Symbio. I explained I was on a fix tariff and the account manager said he would hold the application so the switch does not take place until a day after my fix finishes. If it went through earlier i would not get the promised £20 bonus from my present supplier.

Also Symbio have improved their website. You can fully switch online and fill out your dd details rather then having to print off a dd form. You can enter your meter readings online as well.

Another bonus is although my switch completes on the 25 April 19 they will not take the first dd payment until one month later.

Also I embrace technology but not smart meters.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,133
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    I've just took the plunge and switched to Symbio. They came out very well on a comparison.

I'll keep the thread updated with my experience over the next few weeks, additional feedback for others is always handy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 April 2019 at 6:42AM
    I'll keep an eye on feedback before taking the plunge. After checking out companies house details of this company I'm a bit wary of Changing to them myself

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07999360
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Tafrock wrote: »
    I'll keep an eye on feedback before taking the plunge. After checking out companies house details of this company I'm a bit wary of Changing to them myself

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07999360

...why does all that Companies House gubbins put you off?
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    I've just took the plunge and switched to Symbio. They came out very well on a comparison.

I'll keep the thread updated with my experience over the next few weeks, additional feedback for others is always handy.
    Which price comparison site did you first spot Symbio?; :money:

...they’re certainly the cheapest leccy supplier around (for me anyway) and have been for many weeks;...and yet they still don’t feature on MSE Cheap Energy Club!....what’s all that about then?

MSE ‘whole of market’ comparison...my a*se! :eek:
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Mse is a waste of time nowadays. I use uswitch in conjunction with energy helpline https://energyhelpline.com/fri/

What puts me off is the number of failed directorships and companies and recent changes of address they have had (2 in twelve months). I'm not saying anything is amiss it just doesn't seem the most secure company around though. I May still risk going with them as your not tied in and they are cheap buy equally I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't stick around for long
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,133
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    Which price comparison site did you first spot Symbio?; :money:

I found them on Uswitch.

I always use more than one comparison site just to make sure ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport