Mobile override help pls!!

Options
After reading Money Diet (cracking read really opened my eyes!!) I thought Id try and cut down my regular £80-£100 monthly orange bill with the mobile override tips.

Im on the talk200 contract I think (!?(200mins to orange and land line off peak per month) yet use my phone often in the daytime.

I rang Onetel and Telco, but from what I gathered I have to register a land line number to it. I have no landline by the way.

If anyone out there can shed any light how I can cut my bills (apart from not use phone during daytime) Id really appreciate it. I also have to ring USA often too.

Thanks loads in advance!

Bruce Wayne

Comments

• allthatmularky
    Options
    How long has your Orange contract to run ? If you're paying Orange £80-£100 pcm have a look at your bills and see if its mostly peak time calls. Then ask Orange to change tariff to suit you - ie 400 mins peak etc.
    More knowledgeable folks on here (Sunil, Reestit) - will point you in the right direction on Orange - there are contracts that allow you to use freephone numbers as an override.
    No need to paying £100 a month on a mobile.  

PS Forgot to say - I think their Robin you, Batman ;)
  • Diva_2
    Options
    This is my first attempt at joining in a chat forum, so I hope I'm doing it right! I'm also a novice at serious money saving, though I'm well on my way, having bought Martin's book.

I'm really flummoxed, like Bruce, however, about how to cut back on my mobile bills, which are currently £40 to £55 a month.

I'm with T-Mobile, which seems to be discussed less on the forum than Orange. I've signed up with 18866 for both my BT landline and my mobile (and also moved my internet account from BT to Fast4.net), but, despite poring over all the articles and opinions on the site, can't figure out how best to use my tariff of 200 minutes (plus 50% extra free, making it 300 minutes) and 100 text messages. I'm tied into the contract for another year, though I think I can change the tariff during that time. I seem to use less than my allowance when it comes to calls, but more when it comes to texts!

I understand the advantage of using the 18866 override for my landline (for local and national calls, but not for 0845 and 0870 etc numbers, I gather), and my mobile to call other mobiles. However, should I use 18866's alternative override number for ALL calls and texts from my mobile to keep the costs down and make the most of my precious free minutes? Just so you have all the information, I rarely make international calls, and can use my work phone on weekdays.

Can anybody help?! Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Gill :-/
  • allthatmularky
    Options
    Gill - I presume that you must be using hundreds of texts a month to run up that bill ? You say that you don't use the call minutes up - so its the texts that must be the cost.
    Concentrating on the texts - you'll probably need to buy a bundle as an add on from T mobile - just ring cust services to get their prices. Have a look here for an indication of price
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?ARTICLE=STATIC.TMOBNETWORK.OCT.SERVICES

Are you paying for a contract with T mobile ? Sounds an obvious question - but people like Forward Cellular will give you a deal like that for £80 for the year on T mobile. The only down side is that you pay for the contract up front and claim the cashback.
    Lets know how you get on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport