Buying first car - 7 seater

dwpn00b
dwpn00b Posts: 48 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
So I was lazy not buying a car (5 years since I passed) and now I need a 7 seater car. Max budget £6500. I don't know much about cars but I was recommended Vauxhall Zafira and Toyota Verso. The Zafira is significantly cheaper but apparently prone to catching fire https://news.sky.com/story/vauxhall-recalls-zafira-models-for-third-time-over-new-fire-risk-11704018 so that's out of the question.

The Verso I was told is very reliable due to being Japanese. Now I've seen one for about £6000 but it's 2.2 engine size, 2010 model. Will that cost too much for insurance for me (I'm over 30 if that makes a difference). Also the engine will be too 'powerful'. Lastly it's diesel and I was told diesel engines get penalised alot more?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Comments

• VFR
    VFR Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do you actually need a 7 seater though ?, if 6 is enough take a look at the Honda FRV that has a 1.8 ivtec engine.
  • dwpn00b
    dwpn00b Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I definitely need a 7 seater car.
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My son had a secondhand Zafira and after a few years bought a new one ... both were petrol, He kept the second one for many years until his youngsters started to leave home. His point was that his 3 kids had a habit of inviting friends along so having 7 seats was often handy. We joined them for a hol. in the Lake District once and whilst there just used the Zafira which coped very well, I thought.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,330 Forumite
    I can't say I have ever noticed a penalty for buying a diesel. And there is no magic formula that equates engine size with insurance premium.

If it's the sort of car that people keep crashing, the premiums will be higher. If not, they will be lower. Small differences in engine size, or petrol vs. diesel aren't really important.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Fiat Doblo.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Do you need 7 seats and boot space or is a car with no boot space in 7 seat configuration OK?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,962 Forumite
    To check how much the insurance will be, put your details into a price comparison website like Compare the Market. Find a car with the same spec that you are thinking of buying and put the reg. number of that car in with your details.

Check the road fund licence cost at Parkers.co.uk.

There is no chance that a 2.2litre Diesel engine will be too powerful.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    mgfvvc wrote: »
    Do you need 7 seats and boot space or is a car with no boot space in 7 seat configuration OK?

Exactly.. 7 seats and a decent boot or 7 seats where the rear passengers sit in fear of being rear ended and their bodies being
    used as the crumple zone.

Would you feel safe sitting in the back with your head mm away from the rear window?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    dwpn00b wrote: »
    So I was lazy not buying a car (5 years since I passed) and now I need a 7 seater car. Max budget £6500. I don't know much about cars but I was recommended Vauxhall Zafira and Toyota Verso. The Zafira is significantly cheaper but apparently prone to catching fire https://news.sky.com/story/vauxhall-recalls-zafira-models-for-third-time-over-new-fire-risk-11704018 so that's out of the question.

The Verso I was told is very reliable due to being Japanese. Now I've seen one for about £6000 but it's 2.2 engine size, 2010 model. Will that cost too much for insurance for me (I'm over 30 if that makes a difference). Also the engine will be too 'powerful'. Lastly it's diesel and I was told diesel engines get penalised alot more?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

You're going to see more Zafiras than anything else but other 7 seaters of that vintage are the Ford Grand cmax and Peugeot 5008, Citroen Grand c4. Maybe a vw Touran
  • Exactly.. 7 seats and a decent boot or 7 seats where the rear passengers sit in fear of being rear ended and their bodies being
    used as the crumple zone.

Would you feel safe sitting in the back with your head mm away from the rear window?
    Just stick the mother in law there...
    Zafiras are probably the best value as there are so many of them. Just make sure the safety recalls have been done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure