Abolish BBC licence petition

13»

Comments

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Also, the BBC will need to invest in more detector vans to target the new army of licensable viewers. Perhaps, retirement homes would be a good first target. It is easier to frighten the elderly into paying!

If you have independent living ie your own flat within a retirement complex you only need to pay £7.50 a year.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Astar1809 wrote: »
    Either through a subscription model where people can pay for the services they use or view, or a traditional advertising model.

It does seem unfair that it is a legal requirement to pay the fee even if you do not use the services.

Can we expand that rationale to Education, NHS, Road's, Social care, social services………… The list is endless I would rather pay if I need rather than 40% of my toil
  • Astar1809
    Astar1809 Posts: 114 Forumite
    ceredigion wrote: »
    Can we expand that rationale to Education, NHS, Road's, Social care, social services………… The list is endless I would rather pay if I need rather than 40% of my toil

You are now talking about two different areas here, Taxes and National insurance cover the areas you mention, this is a separate "tax" disguised as a TV Licence. ~

If you want to make tongue in cheek remarks then lets compare apples for apples shall we.

A direct comparison is if an internet content provider such as Yahoo.com (I choose Yahoo as They have various media, news and search engine arms to the business but are likely to be as popular in your life as BBC productions are in mine) decided they offered great content so needed to enforce a charge for the media content they produce. This means you now have to pay £10 a month to legally access any devise that can connect to the internet, it does not matter if you view/use Yahoo.com content you still had to pay a £10 a month "internet licence", would you be happy to just stump up the money?

If you say yes you would be happy to pay for content you do not and will not use quite frankly you are bonkers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure