PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Butternut squash?????

Comments

• Hiya

We use butternut squash alot in my house, i dice it and roast it, i boil it and mash it, My little one has it alot and loves it as its sweet. Not sure of what else you could do with it really but i love it mashed.
    Love is all around! :rotfl:

:T £2 savers - £6 30/4/06 :T
    :T 20p savers -£0.60 30/4/06 :T
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Oh, i love butternut squash, i roast it, like crazymom (just like roast potatoes!!!) i also add it cubed in stews, mashed and it makes a lovely soup!!!! Serve it just like you would any type of potato really!!!
  • i Know that I did a recipie where I had to add cubed squash. I think it was like a morrocan thing as I remember it had lamb, chickpeas and apricots but I suppose like the other poster said just put it into stews and things. I remember having a really hard time just getting the darned thing peeled and cubed!
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Definitely roast it.

I peel it, cut it in half, and then cut into 2 inch(ish) pieces.

If I have time, I put it in some olive oil with herbs, and garlic and leave it to marinade for a while. (And its great to have an assortment of veggies too, sweet potato, quartered onions, big chunks of carrot, maybe parsnips)

Then I roast it at gas mark 7 in a tiny amount of preheated olive oil for about 30 mins.

It is FABULOUS.

I've never had a problem peeling it, I just use a potato peeler.
  • Roughly chop up an onion and a butternut squash, throw in a pan and cover with stock and a tsp ginger and curry powder, cook until veg is soft and then whizz up in blender (but try to keep the soup quite thick)

Serve with bread - absolutely gorgeous and my fav soup in the world
  • Don't bother trying to peel a butternut squash, it is a right royal pain!!

Wrap the whole thing in tinfoil and cook it in the oven at gas mark 5 for one and a half hours. It comes out all soft and sweet and yummy!! Cut it in half length ways, scoop out the seeds, then serve cut into wedges or mashed. The skin is soft and edible served this way.

Or cook as above for about 45 mins, removed tin foil, half and deseed and cut into cubes, spray with frylight, and return to oven for roasting.

Or just slice the raw squash with a sharp knife, and steam the slices skin and all.

MMMMMM..... this is making me hungry, just off to get a butternut...
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Fanatastic in a risotto as well - roast as LazyDaisy describes, scoop out and mash flesh then add to risotto and cook as you normally would - yummy!
    Mortgage Pig: Gertrude
    Gertrude's estimated September accrual - £120
    Gertrude's actual accrual - Revealed October 1st!
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've been peeling it and then cubing it but the "stick it in the oven" might have to be tried ;)

I freeze it uncooked but cubed and then it's ready to be added if I want it :) We've been having a lot of it recently cooked in stock (home made ofcourse) with sweet potato cubes and then mashed with a dollop of home made butter... YUM! The OH who strongly declared he'd never eat butter nut squash as his mum used to serve it and it was watery and horrid munches it down... Just told him it's sweet potato mash... FOOL! hehehehe
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ageandjo wrote:
    What can I do with it?:confused: Last time I had it I sliced it in half and drizzled with olive oil and garlic, how am I suppose to serve it too:confused:

I do that but cut it into cubes first, very nice it is too.
  • I LOVE butternut squash too! I'm very lazy though ;) all I do with it is chop off the top and bottom and slice it into rings, (dig out the seeds) sprinkle with a teaspoon or so of oil and bung it into the oven for about 25 mins 180 degrees until the edges of the rings are just beginning to blacken and the squash is crispier. Smells like chips cooking and tastes scrummy! I have squash like this every week as my treat on Friday!! (and yes I am a little piggy)

FF
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport