PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5:2 Diet

Does anyone here follow this diet? I am tempted to try it, not because I need to lose weight really but more for health benefits. I have a friend who has done it and proved successful with it.

The thing is I don't know what to eat on non fast days. I know some people have calorie counted ready meals, soup and things like that. I was wondering if a shake or smoothie would suffice for tea as ready meals are still full meals.

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Did you mean 'non' fast days? Or fast days? On non fast days you are able to eat whatever you want, within reason. Although what you eat obviously can have an impact on weight loss.

I have done it a couple of times. I generally lose about a pound a week, although I am not terribly overweight - maybe half a stone. On fast days I tend to have a tiny breakfast - small amount of porridge with water, for example. Sometimes I have nothing. I limit tea and coffee due to milk - can't seem to drink it black.

Lunch is a homemade veggie soup and dinner might be a veggie curry; courgetti with salsa and prawns; a thicker soup.. I tend not to have meat cos it whacks up the calories. I do usually have more than the 500 calories, maybe 700 - 800. It slows down weightloss but is more do-able.

It is quite tough though..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Over 9 stone lost so far on 5:2...currently using the revamped fast 800 version.

On a fast-day you restrict your calories to between 500 and 800 calories (depending on what version you follow).

On a non-fast day you do NOT need to look at shakes and calories counted meals...these are NON-FAST days...you eat sensibly.

Fast day food for me includes protein and veg with a little fruit...shakes et.c are not necessary as even 500kcals can give you two tasty home-cooked meals...keep it simple - I like omelettes...home made soup...lean meat and salad...

(With fast 800 you get 800Kcal on a fast day...easy to have 2 'good 'meals on this...or even 3 smaller ones)

5:2 or IFing (intermittent fasting) as it is also known has really changed my life....I have every hope of reaching my own goal weight this year...nothing else worked - and trust me, I tried pretty much everything!
  • The 5:2 worked really well for me. I would eat as late as possible during my fasting days and would eat something egg related, low calorie at around 70 each and full of protein so you feel fuller for longer. I also experimented with eating a Weetabix every hour and a half from mid afternoon until I went to bed.

I found it quite easy.

I now IF by operating 16:8 - I eat in an 8 hour window and fast for the remaining 16 - I got a pre-diabetes diagnosis before Christmas and IF 16:8 has got a handle on it and my blood sugars are now under control.

Wow Prinzessilein you have done amazing well! You should be so very proud. Phenomenal result achieved in a healthy way.
  • Prinzesselein out of interest did you buy the book ? as my youngest DD is thinking about trying this out
  • downinja
    downinja Posts: 816 Forumite
    5:2 works for me, done it several times. The problem, I feel, is it's not a diet I would want to do for the rest of my life.

The idea of a blanket 500 cal for me 600 cal for women is daft.

My missus is 5'3 and weights under 9 stone, I'm 6'2 and 16 stone, I get 100 more calories? That's half a pack of smarties ;)

Personally it's lost me weight but never really kept it off.
  • JackieO wrote: »
    Prinzesselein out of interest did you buy the book ? as my youngest DD is thinking about trying this out

Yes I did..some years ago I bought the 'original' 5:2 book...and this year I bought the fast800 book...both by Dr Michael Mosley.

I am the sort of person who likes to understand 'why' thigs work, and the science of 5:2 is solid!

Fast 800 is more generous with the calories...an extra 300kcal for women!...but your non-fast days are recommended as being broadly Mediterranean, so plenty of protein, veg, fruit...moderate 'healthy' fats... and wholegrain carbs in small portions ...with of course the odd treat too!....and the extended fasting window is stressed in the new approach...even on non-fast days I stop eating at around 6pm and have a 14 hour fasting period overnight.

It is not only for weight loss..although I am proof that it works for this...but it is a sensible way of eating for everyone.

I recommend the book - it includes a few basic recipes too, to get you started on fast day ideas....Most libraries should be able to get a copy- so maybe your DD could get one on loan and see if it suits her before buying her own?...although £9 for the new book in paperback is still MSE!!!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 February 2019 at 6:48PM
    downinja wrote: »
    5:2 works for me, done it several times. The problem, I feel, is it's not a diet I would want to do for the rest of my life.

The idea of a blanket 500 cal for me 600 cal for women is daft.

My missus is 5'3 and weights under 9 stone, I'm 6'2 and 16 stone, I get 100 more calories? That's half a pack of smarties ;)

Personally it's lost me weight but never really kept it off.

5:2 is not a diet, it's a way of life. I lost two stone one it in 2016 and have maintained ever since. My appetite reduced enormously and I just have two meals a day now, eating whatever I want, within reason. Not a huge pile of chips or slab of cake.

However, I no longer want lotsba chips or cake.

DD bought the original book of me and I also bought Mimi SPencer's recipe books. We learned to use good flavouring like harissa.

It's easy to manage as if you're going out for a meal with friends you don't have to make a fuss about being 'on a diet'. If you've indulged a bit, make up for it the next day.

Daily weighing, allowing for some variation, also helps maintain.

Go for it, fusspot.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Fusspot
    Fusspot Posts: 327 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you for your replies. I think I may give this a go but I don't want to starve myself on fast days, it will just be a case of finding out what works for me. One thing I can't do without is milk in my coffee.
  • jellie
    jellie Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Fusspot wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies. I think I may give this a go but I don't want to starve myself on fast days, it will just be a case of finding out what works for me. One thing I can't do without is milk in my coffee.

I'm also following 5:2 (6 stone gone so far, another stone left to go), you don't have to give up milk in coffee - just count the calories. You can use your calories how you like, I have porridge with almond milk or a big pile of veg with a small piece of plain fish, yogurt and fruit. On fasting days I eat nothing until around 6.30pm.

I found it helped me a lot to calorie count on my non-fast days as 'eat in moderation' wasn't a phrase I was used to. I use myfitnesspal app (I'm sure others are available) to track calories, it helps a lot.

The first few fasting days will be hard but stick with it, I now find them really easy. Good luck.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I am now about to at attempt this, please could someone look at my meal plan?

breakfast
    small porridge made with water with tiny bit of low fat yogurt (I don't like it just water)
    1/2 grapefruit

lunch
    slimmers cup a soup

tea
    1/2 portion brown rice
    onions
    mushrooms
    1/2 tin tomatoes
    couple fresh cherry tomatoes
    sweetcorn
    herbs and spices for taste

Is that ok? I think its about 500 cals, I will eat the same both days. I will have to have one cup of tea with milk a day but will try to manage on water for the rest of the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure