Bmw recall fiasco

I have a 2015 BMW 330D which has had a safety recall for an EGR cooler. The local BMW dealer inspected it and said it was unsafe and needed replacing. It has been with the dealer for 4 weeks but they cant get the parts. BMW cant tell them when parts will be available - it could be months. They have supplied a rental car but the rental company Enterprise only have small cars available which is unsuitable for me. I have suggested to BMW that they hire from another company but they wont do that. The customer service is appallin they dont care. I would like to claim against them but do I have a contract with BMW or is it the dealer or the company I originally bought the car from. Any ideas as to how I can find out who to sue?

Comments

• wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    They are fixing the car and are providing you with a courtesy car (even if it's not of a comparable spec), that to me isn't appalling service.

Maybe ask for the next service free, I can't see you have a case for suing.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Meoleman wrote: »
    I have a 2015 BMW 330D which has had a safety recall for an EGR cooler. The local BMW dealer inspected it and said it was unsafe and needed replacing. It has been with the dealer for 4 weeks but they cant get the parts. BMW cant tell them when parts will be available - it could be months. They have supplied a rental car but the rental company Enterprise only have small cars available which is unsuitable for me. I have suggested to BMW that they hire from another company but they wont do that. The customer service is appallin they dont care. I would like to claim against them but do I have a contract with BMW or is it the dealer or the company I originally bought the car from. Any ideas as to how I can find out who to sue?

See a solicitor.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

As Waamo says, you could see a solicitor to find out who to sue, but remember they get paid win or lose.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    What are you claiming for?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have a 2015 BMW 330D which has had a safety recall for an EGR cooler. The local BMW dealer inspected it and said it was unsafe and needed replacing. It has been with the dealer for 4 weeks but they cant get the parts. BMW cant tell them when parts will be available - it could be months.
    They are recalling 270,000 cars in the UK, 1.6m worldwide.
    https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/bmw-expands-diesel-fire-recall/

That is a LOT of parts to get designed, manufactured, delivered.
    I would like to claim against them but do I have a contract with BMW or is it the dealer or the company I originally bought the car from. Any ideas as to how I can find out who to sue?
    What do you intend to sue for? What are your losses? How have you tried to mitigate them?

Your contract was with the dealer you bought the car from, assuming you bought it new. That was 3-4 years ago. Throwing thin legal cases around will not get the parts for your car delivered any quicker.
  • Thanks all for your comments. The point is that I need an estate car for my work and a small car cant provide me with the space I need. So by hiring a car that is of the correct size then that is a loss to me. BMW have said I am entitled to a similar car but their hire car company dont have any. My point is that BMW could hire a car from another company there are plenty of them about. Sorry if you think I'm being unreasonable but this is costing me a packet (I'm self employed).
  • Surely the road tax and insurance you are paying for a vehicle you cannot drive should be reimbursed at the very least.
    They've had my 5 Series since 14th of March 2019. I have yet to hear when I will get my vehicle returned. I have had to drive 1hr round trip to recover my personal belongings from the Dealership.
    BMW have referred my complaint to their complaint department with a promise to be in touch within 48 hours. Heard nothing. BMW treating people unfortunate to own a vehicle they built with absolute contempt.
  • Is there not another branch of the hire company to goto? Three must be something somewhere!

Can you try making a hire through the same hire company for an estate. If they lend you one it proves a point and they might just relent.
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    In seem to recall there is a problem with enterprize hire via BMW , its basic 3rd party , the fire and theft / comprehensive is on your insurance BUT does it cover hired cars ,,, NO
  • Ambs08
    Ambs08 Posts: 2 Newbie
    The service I’ve had from BMW has been absolutely appalling.
    They’ve had my vehicle over 5 weeks and have not once given me any update. I have had to call up myself each week. Still no sign of it being ready anytime soon. In the meantime I have an Enterprise hire car provided by BMW.
    It is a Ford Fiesta which is no comparison to my BMW but I am just thankful I have a vehicle to drive however, I am still expected to pay my monthly payments for a BMW when I’m driving round in a Ford Fiesta? And they haven’t even offered to refund the payments.

Not only this, this week I’ve also encountered a crack to the windscreen from a stone, which means I’m now liable for the £250 excess for a new window due to the damage. I understand this is policy however if you’ve taken my vehicle on recall I shouldn’t be out of pocket.
    I’d be most happy to pay the charge if it was like for like with my own car. A new front window last year on my BMW cost me £99, so I’d be happy to pay the same as these things can happen.
    However they shouldn’t expect their customers to be out of pocket when your car has been taken away for circumstances beyond our control.

I’ve called BMW many times this week and every member of staff has told me to ring Enterprise as BMW have nothing to do with it and they won’t pay the excess for me. I range Enterprise and they said it’s nothing to do with them, it’s between me and BMW as BMW hold the agreement with Enterprise for the hire car.

I just can’t believe how bad the service has been, the first thing they should do is refund people if your paying monthly for your vehicle when you don’t have it in your possession.
    Let alone ensure we aren’t out of pocket for any issues when this recall problem is completely BMW responsibility.

I’ve sent a formal complaint also stating I will be taking legal action and I have still been told it won’t be escalated and they won’t do anything that’s the end of it.

For paying, valued BMW customers this is just absolutely awful. I can’t believe how rude and careless they have been. Makes me want to say keep the car once it fixed and I’ll go to Audi and get a new one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure