Vibration plate rubber mat --- glue?

travelodger
travelodger Posts: 202 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
The rubber mat vibrated itself off my vibration plate.

The plate is steel. I was advised to use Evostik Impact to stick it back on. I spread an entire large tube - cost £5 - across every part of the mat and the plate. Left it to become tacky, then placed the mat back on the plate. Weighted it down with books and left it overnight.

Next morning switched it on and within 5 minutes the rubber mat had wobbled its way back off again.

Then I bought Gorilla Glue (another £5) and did the same thing, and the same thing happened again.

What can I do now?

I don't want to waste more money by buying more and more adhesives that won't work. Which one should I be using, please?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

This is an image of what my plate/mat looks like.

https://www.mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-slimline-vibration-plate.html

mirafit-slimline-vibration-plate.html

Comments

• Oh dear. No glue experts here, then?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    What's the plate made from? If it's plastic you need to know what sort and but the correct glue.
  • The plate is steel.
  • I think you need to clean off all old glue deposits then try evo stick again but leave it to dry. Also don’t use a whole tube next time, just spread it very thinly and leave to dry for maybe 30 mins before pressing the surfaces together.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • I think you need to clean off all old glue deposits then try evo stick again but leave it to dry. Also don’t use a whole tube next time, just spread it very thinly and leave to dry for maybe 30 mins before pressing the surfaces together.

That's exactly what I did the first time. The plate was absolutely clean, and we left the two surfaces for about 20 mins until tacky. Surely if completely dry it won't stick?
  • Surely if completely dry it won't stick?

No, a common misunderstanding on how contact adhesives work.

Evostick must be touch dry at least. You can leave it an hour and it still works. A thick layer still tacky is possibly where you went wrong. Try again with very thin layer allowed to dry first. This is how I use it for worktop edging etc.

https://static.rapidonline.com/pdf/77519_v1.pdf
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I read the first post thinking, but the rubber foot on a wacker plate clips on.
  • ceredigion wrote: »
    I read the first post thinking, but the rubber foot on a wacker plate clips on.

Mine doesn't.
  • wacker plates and vibration plates may be two completely different things . . . :D
  • No, a common misunderstanding on how contact adhesives work.

Evostick must be touch dry at least.

OK I will buy another tub and give it another go, with your instructions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure