Do I need to buy a license if I dont terrestrial TV?

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 February 2017 at 10:48PM
    Yes, please post them!

These quotes are all from: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-administering-the-licence-fee-AB20

My bold...
    Enquiry officers do not have any legal powers to enter your home without a search warrant granted by a magistrate (or sheriff in Scotland). They (like other members of the public) rely on an implied right in common law to call at a property as far as the door, while going about their lawful business and making their presence known.

You have no obligation to grant entry to an enquiry officer if you don’t wish to do so. If refused entry by the occupier, the enquiry officer will leave the property. If enquiry officers are refused access, then TV Licensing reserve the right to use other methods of detection.
    The enquiry officer must explain why they are visiting, be polite, courteous and fair, and abide by rules of conduct. Enquiry officers do not have a legal right of entry to a person’s home without a search warrant, and if refused entry to premises they will end the visit. If permitted by the occupier to enter the premises, the visit is normally very quick.
    Enquiry officers may take a statement from an individual but only after they have cautioned that person i.e. informed them of their legal rights, including that they have the right not to answer any of the questions. This is in accordance with the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 or Scottish criminal law (depending on where the address is). A person has the right to refuse to give a statement.

I should say that in my experience, reports and videos regarding TVL conduct on the doorstep would tend to contradict some of those statements, particularly "The enquiry officer must explain why they are visiting, be polite, courteous and fair, and abide by rules of conduct", and more seriously, "If refused entry by the occupier, the enquiry officer will leave the property", and, "...cautioned that person i.e. informed them of their legal rights, including that they have the right not to answer any of the questions".

There is a further point that it's all very well the BBC coming clean in the "small print", but if that small print is contradicted or undermined by larger, more strident messages elsewhere, then it will not have the desired effect (of educating the Public). That becomes quite a serious issue where the legal requirement is for "fully informed consent", which is the case for several of the key issues for TVL.

I have responded back to the BBC to challenge those and other points.
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Excellent Cornucopia

Do you have a quote about them gaining entry when there is only a minor at home or if a minor opens the door.

We have seen on eBay that they gained entry, were even challenged about it but carried on.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • Cornucopia
    edited 26 February 2017 at 10:40AM
    That would be in their Policy Manual. There is a redacted copy released under FOI. I will have a look. I've seen that video and the TVL rep's behaviour is not great throughout. Certainly not "polite, courteous and fair", I would say.

edit:

The relevant document is here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/926/response/107772/attach/3/IR2008037%20revised%20disclosure.pdf
    7.0... Premises must never be entered when the only person present is a
    child/minor.

Also, in the same section, and relevant to my post above:
    ... the VO should ask permission to enter the premises in order to confirm this.

So nothing about informed consent or related disclosure of the Householder's options to decline entry. It looks increasingly like a mass Corporate misunderstanding of the term "informed consent".
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    For years they have sent me letters to the occupier. Now they send me a letter with my real name on the header. I have never responded to any of the letters nor had any communication with them! No tv and don't watch Iplayer.
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ljonski wrote: »
    For years they have sent me letters to the occupier. Now they send me a letter with my real name on the header. I have never responded to any of the letters nor had any communication with them! No tv and don't watch Iplayer.

Well this is what you get when the ICO allow the "1984" scenario of the credit reference databases being abused , starting with the voters roll.

I did raise these concerns here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5600481

It has got to a point where not only do I not register to vote but I invent a name of someone not entitled to vote and register their name where I live, just to maintain my privacy.

Now it has to be said that Crapita has "form" for breaching chinese walls that are supposed to be between databases they manage.

They access data in NHS projects such as approving new dentists and doctors, something that news reported they screwed up.

They manage data for shareholder services.

A few years back they used the credit reference databases to track people down so they could tell them they were entitled to some shares. Except Crapita did it on the letterhead of the company and they were charging a whopping fee when in fact shareholders were entitled to the shares and dividends for FREE. They directed people that called to the fee charging service and it it was not unless you made a very firm complaint that they processed it, in fact they had this strange issue of getting you cut off!!

I was SO pleased to see the Chief Exec of Crapita fall on his sword this week, payoff is huge, issue is apparently that is not as charismatic as predecessor and not liked by staff and shareholders alike. Too many failed contracts and too many profit warnings.

Crapita seem to think they are a law unto themselves, poke around data and then say the ends justify the means.

It does not matter if they know your name, just send them a change of address to someone you know who has a licence and it will revert to The Occupier.

They have to prove anything anyway.

I hear that BBC is moving iPlayer to some sort of verification of licence online which will be a great thing, as it will show they can sell their TV via subscription. They will not need Crapita after that.

Can't wait!!
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I've just had a letter from TV licencing, I get one every two years asking if the situation is still the same. I ring and say, yep, still no telly, this time I will say I know about the new iplayer rule, and no I don't watch that either. Then they send a letter saying they will contact me in another two years. This has been going on for at least 15 years. It's no bother to tell them I don't need a licence. They have never sent anyone to see me.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Marvqn1
    Marvqn1 Posts: 634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    EdwardB wrote: »
    I hear that BBC is moving iPlayer to some sort of verification of licence online which will be a great thing, as it will show they can sell their TV via subscription. They will not need Crapita after that.

Can't wait!!

That's assuming that the BBC want their services to be online only though. They don't because millions of people still watch TV over the air and there is no way of using a subscription unless they implement viewing cards, which won't happen.
  • Cornucopia
    Marvqn1 wrote: »
    That's assuming that the BBC want their services to be online only though. They don't because millions of people still watch TV over the air and there is no way of using a subscription unless they implement viewing cards, which won't happen.

Don't most TVs have viewing card slots? Something to do with an EU directive, I think.
  • Marvqn1
    Marvqn1 Posts: 634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Don't most TVs have viewing card slots? Something to do with an EU directive, I think.

Im not sure. I think most TV's just have a CAM slot, so you need a CAM module to be able to insert a viewing card.
  • Cornucopia
    Marvqn1 wrote: »
    Im not sure. I think most TV's just have a CAM slot, so you need a CAM module to be able to insert a viewing card.

Ah, okay, thanks for that. It sounds like a start, though.

Personally, I favour something slightly different - using a disadvantage as a benefit.

The idea would be to provide parallel streams of BBC1 & 2 at certain times of the day/week. The FTA stream would carry advertising and there would be a parallel Subscription stream that would be available on platforms that supported it without ads. That would give people a free choice, whilst the amount of advertising would not be so vast as to overly undermine the commercial FTA sector.

The parallel schedules would be subject to in-fill news bulletins, trailers and other small programs on Subscription so as to release, say, 15 mins of advertising space between 7 & 9 on weekday evenings - there is probably already this much slack (or close to it) in the schedules.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure