PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Comments

• I'd like to join you, please? I have sat paralysed for the last two years overwhelmed with life. I really need to declutter my small bedroom, it is rammed with rubbish. Each time I go up there I get so overwhelmed and just shut the door. I really think it will help me to clear my mind and get me motivated for life again. I don't have a strategy yet, but am hoping to get some tips from you all to get me started. Happy New Year everybody.

:hello: Graciefields, do you sing :rotfl: Joking aside, re your bedroom - may I make a suggestion - if you go in with a small carrier bag & just pick up bits & pieces that are to be binned. When the bag is full, close the door, empty the bag into your main bin & forget the room. Continue doing this until there is no more rubbish. My own approach would be not to start any sorting until all the rubbish had gone. Next stage would be to use your small bag to collect items that do not belong in your bedroom & relocate them to where they belong. Hopefully you will begin to notice a difference :)

I am sending you lots of decluttering mojo & I will try to be your chief cheerleader :D

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Happy_One wrote: »
    Oh I do love this thread, haven’t posted for a while, but this thread so appeals to me. I’m just sinking under my clutter, can’t even find some of the things that I had bought for Christmas gifts so have had to go out this morning to buy more, luckily only small stocking filler type things for two people and also lucky that I’m not seeing these friends till Sunday!

Happy One what a wonderful name :D made me smile :D Perhaps getting a head start on next year, find a drawer that you can empty & designate it as “Christmas Present Drawer” - then each time you find a ‘walkabout’ gift you can relocate it :) You never know you may find enough errant gifts to save money next Christmas :rotfl:

Good luck

MrsSD

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Hi Guys,
    I read through the 2018 thread last night (well - the last few weeks worth of it!) and I need to majorly declutter (OH is a hoarder!)
    I recently became debt free, I am changing my ways and decluttering and being conscious of what is coming into the house is one way to keep my mental health on track as well as money too.
    I would like to join for 2019, I am not going to count the objects or anything but will report weekly and have identified the following:
    - prevent clutter coming into the house in the first place
    - buy some re-chargeable batteries (MS and prevents dead batteries from going to the recycling as I have just taken a bagful)
    - tackle a different area each week, e.g. under stairs cupboard, wardrobe, that drawer in kitchen. Who knows, maybe I might even get round to doing the car!

I made a start today as I sold an item on fb marketplace, the lady also wanted a couple of items I had that were going to the charity shop.
  • :j Welcome aboard the “declutter bandwagon”, notmy1sttime :j

You have a plan :T which I quite often think is half the battle :D Is your OH a hoarder or a collector :D You never know if he sees how happy you are with less clutter he might be inspired to join you :) I am ever the optimist :D

Really looking forward to reading about your successes :)

MrsSD

• IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    1 black bag filled with clothes and other bits and pieces from my room today alone. Granted a lot of the bits and pieces were gifts from children and parents in work, and I really do appreciate the thought, but I can only use so many mugs, keyrings and candles.
    I very rarely burn candles, only use one keyring on my keys and have way too many mugs in the cupboard as it is. Infact I'll be attacking that cupboard this weekend along with the glass cupboard lol.
    I have sensitive skin so can only use certain soap sets, so a lot if those will be given to family and I've also a bag sitting in the corner to add some to for the local food bank.
    The bottles of wine I received also from some parents have already been given to my cousins and sister. I don't drink so no point in keeping them here to e thrown out laterin the year.

Not bad for only being 5.30 in the evening. Will have a look through my drawers later on and see others anything there to go out.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
  • I'd like to join in to please. We are clutter bugs we have tried through 2018 but inherited my DF's things. We have carried on trying things to CS's moved on or binned where needed. I don't think I'll count but would like to keep up momentum and get our spare bedroom back.
  • IrishRose, you have been busy :T:T

BTDT, very well done :T

Purple kitten, welcome to our merry band :j. Sorry about DF.
    Having a specific goal is a major plus on the decluttering journey :T

Thanks to all you wonderful posters, I am gradually rebuilding my enthusiasm for decluttering :T

MrsSD

• Evening All
    Sorted my make-up basket. Bought a much needed new foundation and mascara today in No7 3 for 2. So old, nearly exhausted items ousted straight away. I could do with a small eyeshadow palette, will keep an eye out, haha. I'm frugal with make-up, only have one of everything on the go, perhaps a spare in stock if it was on offer.
    I'm forcing myself to declutter the oven of quite a lot of grease and grime this evening, been on my to do list for longer than it should have been.
    Resisting the urge to take all the Christmas decs down.
    Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling :)
  • Glad I made you smile Mrs SD life’s too short to frown and I never complain about the weather! You are so right about clearing out a drawer and getting a bit organised, at least I would know what I’ve got in store, some times if I buy too many stocking filler gifts I use them up for birthdays during the year so need to be able to find them easily.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 December 2018 at 10:00PM
    And I am off...
    1. Iron that stopped working today;
    2. Went through glasses cupboard - binned chipped glass and put eight pint glasses up into the loft (ready to replace one of the six still in the cupboard if they get broken - this is how I get my hubby to declutter!)
    3. Went through the mug shelf - discarded two chipped mugs.
    4. Hair products - used up two hair dyes today.
    5. Make-up bag - discarded nine items including two lips sticks, which only had a few mm left and a mascara.
    6. Filed and shredded paperwork in my accounts folder.
    7. Used up 2 x chemical bottles. Cleaned and binned.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family