* Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread

Comments

• 3forholidays
    3forholidays Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 December 2018 at 10:28PM
    apricity wrote: »
    Hey id like to join. Next year is going to be a struggle as we get married in September and i expect we'd find it a little tough with finances after.

Hoping for ideas on how to keep costs low and reasonably cheap.

Welcome to the thread apricity. Hopefully we might be able to help with ideas for a low cost Christmas. :)

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • lindez
    lindez Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi can i join in please, I am normally not a Christmas person but i need inspiration to get me to look forwards to Christmas's in the future.
    MFWB#2
    MFTT5 #28
    Save 12k 2020 #111
  • lindez wrote: »
    Hi can i join in please, I am normally not a Christmas person but i need inspiration to get me to look forwards to Christmas's in the future.

Welcome to the thread lindez. Plenty of inspiration to be found here but we don’t talk about Christmas all the time but real life too. Please join in if/when you can. :)
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 December 2018 at 2:19PM
    Thanks for the lovely new thread , can't believe its the 8th one .

Christmas was lovely and quiet here just how i like it . I usually take the decs down on boxing day but Dd wants them up longer so they will now come down NYE .

Is it bad that I've already bought a gift for next year ? I also have planned to do a box with little items in for my niece who will be 22 months by then , things like books /rubber ducks & frogs etc all individually wrapped .

I will be glad to see the back of 2018 its ending as stressful as it began Dd has been diagnosed with Depression and put on meds , i guess considering the years she's had its not that surprising .

Welcome to all the newbies .
  • teabody
    teabody Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all, I subscribe every year but have not posted for perhaps 4 or 5 maybe more years. Hope to join you this year and get organised once more. One thing I did do last year was collect all christmas cards received and use them to make gift labels which went down well. Very money saving as I did not have to buy any this year and I feel happier for having recycled!
    My plan is to do some preparation for Xmas 2019 every month.
  • Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

I have already put £10 into next years savings for Christmas to get a head start.
    Wanting to save £365 , see where it takes me.

I'll be making gift tags out of my Christmas cards and i Have a lot of left over wrapping paper & labels too . Next year I may just get everyone vouchers. I find it so hard to buy actual gifts for people.

This year was lovely. My first Christmas away from my family as me and my fiance traveled to stay with his parents and will be here until new years day.Been a lot different to the Christmas's I'm used to.
    We were going to go home on Monday but we were promised Chinese and for myself i hate just doing nothing and being just us 2. it's nice but doesn't feel nice when you're ringing in the new year on your own as your other half is asleep.

I played scatagories for the first time tonight. Enjoyed it so much! We also went out for chilli at his aunties but we did a little shopping before hand. I didn't buy anything nice for myself but did buy 2 packs of meal planning & shopping list boards to help us get more organised...the hubs-to-be always asks what's for tea so it'll be helpful.

sort of can't wait to get home - i got a wicker basket and some tubs to help organise our house more.
    2019 is the year i get organised... hopefully!
    :heartpuls Getting married 21.09.19 :heartpuls
    Emergency Savings - £15.55 / £1,000 :heart: XMAS '19 Savings - £0.00 / £365 :heart: Holiday savings - £6.00(SA) £00 (PB)
  • Next years wrapping paper all bought = 5 rolls and 35 tags for £2.50. Each paper is 3 metres each roll. Got some gorgeous smelling Christmas tea lights in Sainsbury’s for £2.00 so that’s part of my grans present next year sorted . Also got some Christmas jute handmade bunting from notonthehighstreet sale. Which will look nice hung around my fireplace.
  • Also got my wrapping paper for next year from Sainsburys on Boxing Day. There wasn't many tags left but have managed to get some to co-ordinate. Will probably have to pick up some more somewhere if I see any (probably plain silver)

Despite making the bulk of my cards I picked up a couple of packs to keep in "just in case"

Hope everyone had a good Christmas. Welcome to all the newbies. My advice is if you haven't already start putting aside for Christmas now into a separate account. We find it far easier to put a bit away each month, we don't miss it and it is there if we see anything suitable throughout the year.

My aim for Christmas 2019 is definitely to reduce the amount I spend. When I make a list of who to buy for and the budget I really must stick to it :rotfl: :rotfl:

Just before Christmas I won a £20 giftcard for The Jewel Hut so that is already spent. My brother got me a bodyshop voucher so have bought the bits I hinted at but didn't get and have got £15 on Amazon waiting for me too. Have also stocked up on some more crafty bits (not that I needed any more really but when prices are good I begrudge waiting)

Not been that impressed though with the sales I have browsed. Seems a lot of places started them just before Christmas too. Anyone picked up any bargains?
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you have given or recieved HMV vouchers I would spend them sooner rather than later as it looks like they may be about the go under .
  • Went to do my normal food shop today and managed to pick up 3 10m rolls of wrapping paper for £1 each. Had to hunt for the 10m ones in the boxes but I like the longer rolls as I have several children to buy for now and their presents can be quite big so I need quantity rather than posh paper! I didn't really need more paper but I buy it when I see it 'just in case' I can't get any next year - I mean it doesn't go off....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure