PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• ChangeofFocus
    Options
    I'd love to join in if that's ok please, started last year but only just now finding some semblance of normal again since our 2nd daughters arrival in October and really do need to get a grip back on our finances.

We'll be aiming to come in under £240 for January please.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Happy Xmas morning all and thanks elsiepac for starting the new year and new thread. :j Welcome to all the newcomers and all the old usuals.

Please put me down for €350 lasting January 1st to January 30th. This will be the last month OH and I share together for a while because I’m returning to America for a few months before we get married later in 2019. I’ll be posting in dollars after January for a while. :) This also means that January is the last month in our apartment and we’re going to eat down the stores to avoid moving things!

Congratulations Jings!

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Please can you add me to the annual budget group - I will go for £3000 in 2019 please. I will divide this by 15 so my monthly aim is £200 with £200 for my stores, £200 for Christmas and the last £200 to cover any bargains I need to have (YS etc). - I recommend this system to anyone who is looking to take it to the next level - you can easily adjust your pots size but it is good to know they are there
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am so done with December. Daren't even add it up. Please can you put me down for £500 for January, planning a dry and mainly veggie one, which should reduce costs, though not all my family will be up for that all the time, so we will see.

Happy remainder of the festive season all!
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Afternoon everyone

Please can I go down for £300 for January? I'm hoping to come in well under, but just in case...

Our budgets have to be slashed all round in the New Year, and I know the food bill is somewhere I can make huge improvements!

We have plenty of food in the fridge, freezer, and cupboards, should be able to keep to this challenge next year!

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can I aim for £120 for Jan please? Am only starting on the 1st though, but already know I've come in under for Dec, even though I need dog food , n bread this week :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Rachiedabbler70
    Options
    Thanks Elsiepac for setting up January thread. I'm going to aim for £270 for the month for 3 adults and a rabbit. All food, toiletries, clothes and dishwashing etc. I'm also hoping to stockpile a small amount of food as stocks very low after December 😀
    Good luck everyone xx
    Blitz that mortgage
    Jun 2016 £152,000
    April 2021 £85,000
  • Pixie_Fairydust
    Options
    Hi I’m starting 2019 as I mean to go on! In some sort of control of my finances! I’m scared to look at my online banking :(

Could you please put me down for £120 for January?

Thank you.
    P xx
    🎄The most wonderful time of the year 🎄
    #14 - PAYDTBX23
    #23 - 1% debt challenge
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,560 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 December 2018 at 1:15AM
    Options
    This will be the last month OH and I share together for a while because I’m returning to America for a few months before we get married later in 2019. I’ll be posting in dollars after January for a while. :) This also means that January is the last month in our apartment and we’re going to eat down the stores to avoid moving things!

How exciting Jings, Congratulations!

Welcome to everyone so far, new and returning GCers!

My budget for January is £287.50 from 20 December to 24 January - extortionately high but covered a lot of Christmas extras.

In reality, for the remaining 4 weeks in my budget, I have £115.39. That's 3 weeks at £30 and 1 at £25.39. I got really out of control and lost track in 2018, coming in over every single month due to lack of discipline and poor planning, but I truly need to get back in control in every area of my life really!! Will be going to back to posting my old style updates so I see where I am very visually!

January 2019

Week..............Plan......Spent
    20 Dec - 26 Dec...£172.11...£172.11
    27 Dec - 02 Jan...£25.39....£
    03 Jan - 09 Jan...£30.00....£
    10 Jan - 16 Jan...£30.00....£
    17 Jan - 24 Jan...£30.00....£
    Total.............£287.50...£

Budgets updated to here!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • ma-ri-ella
    Options
    Trying for 31 pounds in jan. I did a massive cupboard shop last month when i had double discount at work so in theory just need fresh stuff
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
    20,000 step a day challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport