Our new TalkTalk haggling guide- please share your feedback

Comments

• I'm thinking of trying to look for a deal with TT or even moving.

Currently paying £17.99 p/m with BT for landline (soon to go to £18.99) and £15.31 with TT for upto 16mb broadband. So current total £33.30 p/m.

It is unlimited which is what I would like. I'm not a huge downloader but don't want to be capped either.

May try a haggle in the next few days.
    Weight Loss - Start (21st September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 10st 10lb (20th August 2017) :cool: :j

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed :D

New target - lose remainder of fat and gain muscle :cool:
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    CloughiesBrewerArmy

In my experience calling used to be the only way to get a decent deal, but then something changed, TT seemed to put down some sort of ban.

Sales Customers were put to a different call centre and the staff there were incredibly rude.

TT then played this game of putting letters through every door in the country with poor pricing, they had better deals online and even better deals on promos with certain sites.

Then even those deals seem to stop, all there was were very average deals with stupid vouchers.

If the reported change is a a new policy it has to be because they are seriously losing customers, since they allowed themselves to be hacked I have rarely witnessed such a big decline in reputation based on what people were saying online.

To be honest you would probably be better off getting the Sky deal at £61 for the year, if not use that to try and get TT to give you a better deal, say you are just about to move from BT to Sky and you are making a decision today. Get the Voucher code from Sky anyway, there are only 15k and when they are gone they are gone.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#skybb
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • David -

I noticed that Sky deal and have the code ready for Friday. I'm not sure how good Sky are to be honest. As long as they are reliable for streaming such as iPlayer and such and such, then that's the main thing.

It looks a great deal, i'm trying to see the negatives but can't see any.
    Weight Loss - Start (21st September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 10st 10lb (20th August 2017) :cool: :j

• DavidP24
    edited 8 June 2016 at 2:14AM
    I got the deal a few months back and paid £100 more.

I was reticent about dealing with Sky, I was a SkyTV customer many years ago, I was not a fan of the organisation. I got rid of Sky Plus and that led me to get rid of live TV to save on TV license cost. I really wasn't watching the drivel that is dished out so I changed my lifestyle and "roll my own" so to speak.

I do not watch BBC even on iPlayer on principle that I do not pay for it, but a friend visited yesterday and watched Panorama episode using iplayer on their laptop using my connection. There were no issues whatsoever, was able to jump back and forth, it played immediately each time.

I think this has more to do with my locations. I tested on speedtest.net, did one test to their carlisle server and one to local server, they were 31ms and 26ms ping which is respectable. My download is 12mb and upload 1mb.

What I liked when I signed up was it took just two weeks, Plusnet were quoting 4 minimum, also move fee is just £25 when I move.

TalkTalk say they move for free but it is a total lie, they do not charge you on paper but they did not honour the deal and I had and insisted I pay full retail for a new 18 month contract. Over £360 more than I was paying. Guy was SO rude to me I told them they could stick that where the sun does not shine. I paid off to end of contract. Even then I gave notice when it ran out even though contract was virtual and not connected to property.

They then tried to rip me off by putting me back on normal pricing and took two months of calls to get it sorted. TT rep on here said they generate these bills and if you do not query them you pay them!

Also they managed to put a black mark on my credit record because their computer said I owed them money and that I had not paid. I had paid whole contract 8 months earlier, their stupid computer generated a bill for a service they could not provide as there was no connection to any property, I had given them a written warning that I was going to cease and had confirmation a month earlier.

STILL they generated this fake bill and because they share your data without your permission with a credit reference agency every month despite the fact that you do not take credit (in fact I paid 1 year line rental upfront and settled 8 months BB upfront), you still get screwed. I lost a flat because agent got a bad report, he was not interested in the whys, just had a tenant with no issues, ready willing and able. Led to murder getting my fees back.

Reliving that, reminds me that I hate TalkTalk and would suggest you avoid them like the plague!

It is the nasty things like their home phone contract is a virtual minefield of rip off charges. I do not use land line, even with Sky. TT put numbers that were previously included, outside the call plan, then they increased their rates to mobile level call charges. Meanwhile they increased the cost of anytime calls and all other addons by 50% at the same time evening and weekend calls became just weekend calls. So the worst kind of rip off PAY MORE GET LESS.

So basically you get this fantastic deal but it is riddled with potential charges if you are not extremely careful. Is why I moved to VoIP, no line rental and on odd occasion when I make a call costs me literally cents.

It is all coming back to me about TalkTalk now, NIGHTMARE !

Go with Sky!!
  • You're not a TT fan then :o

Sounds like a lot of horrors. I've never had any issues with them. I'm awlays wary of changing too much - if it's not broke, don't fix it but this Sky offer seems good.

• skea56
    skea56 Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Newshound!
    I think i have ended up getting a good deal, but it has been very hard work.

Received my bill at start of the week for £49.05, we have unlimited fibre and anytime calls. I don't even live there anymore but continue to pay the bill for my parents so wanted it to be as cheap as poss.
    Ordinary BB is useless as we live too far away from the exchange so downloads speeds were just about 1MB on a good day.
    On first chat, the best they could offer me was a £2.50 disc for 12 months but on an 18 month contract....not good enough both BT and sky were coming in under £30 and both on 12 month contracts.
    Eventually got through to Loyalty team and I mentioned I had been sitting staring at an ad for £22.70 for unlim fibre for exisitng customers (those who had TV only or ordinary BB) and why could I not get it?? After much discussion, (including the advisor first confirming I could get this and then going back and not including fibre) we agreed on a 12 month contract for £22.70 (no anytime calls but this will have to do)

Contract came through email but it stated an 18 month contract and £20 plus line rental....not what was agreed at all.

A further 30 mins on chat and I was promised the correct terms would be sent.

Decided to bite the bullet and just phone them...40 mins on hold this monring, but I have at last received email confirmation of 12 months at £22.70...a massive saving over the year, but boy was it hard work!!

sk56
    Savings: £2 Jar: £804/£1000
    Debts: Santander 1211.12/1780.47 (32% Paid) Total Debt Paid Off £12871.66
  • DavidP24
    THAT is what they depend on, people not bothering, yet with a few clicks you can pay £61 for the year and save hundreds

I am as broke now as I have ever been in my life so if you have money to waste do not send it to TT, give it to me!!

Seriously, work out your saving and then put that money saved to good use, for your family.

You're not a TT fan then :o

Sounds like a lot of horrors. I've never had any issues with them. I'm awlays wary of changing too much - if it's not broke, don't fix it but this Sky offer seems good.
  • DavidP24
    If I had a pound for every person who reported on here they sent a completely different deal I would be flush!

You have done well, they charge £8 ish for Anytime, so not allowing for that you saved £18.35 a month or £220 for the year, that my friend is a RESULT! Well Done

I always think it helps to play Mr Angry which is not difficult for me as is my usual state till meds kick in!!

I also found if you say "You are messing me around and insulting me, I want to complain to your supervisor" you get through to a better person with more authority.

It really should not be this hard, all you asked for was a loyalty bonus similar to what they are giving new customers who will leave in a year.

skea56 wrote: »
    I think i have ended up getting a good deal, but it has been very hard work.

Received my bill at start of the week for £49.05, we have unlimited fibre and anytime calls. I don't even live there anymore but continue to pay the bill for my parents so wanted it to be as cheap as poss.
    Ordinary BB is useless as we live too far away from the exchange so downloads speeds were just about 1MB on a good day.
    On first chat, the best they could offer me was a £2.50 disc for 12 months but on an 18 month contract....not good enough both BT and sky were coming in under £30 and both on 12 month contracts.
    Eventually got through to Loyalty team and I mentioned I had been sitting staring at an ad for £22.70 for unlim fibre for exisitng customers (those who had TV only or ordinary BB) and why could I not get it?? After much discussion, (including the advisor first confirming I could get this and then going back and not including fibre) we agreed on a 12 month contract for £22.70 (no anytime calls but this will have to do)

Contract came through email but it stated an 18 month contract and £20 plus line rental....not what was agreed at all.

A further 30 mins on chat and I was promised the correct terms would be sent.

Decided to bite the bullet and just phone them...40 mins on hold this monring, but I have at last received email confirmation of 12 months at £22.70...a massive saving over the year, but boy was it hard work!!

sk56
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 June 2016 at 1:52PM
    The one big question that I have about Talktalk is what is the TV fee actually for?

At one stage (pre-haggling) I was paying £18.50pm for TV and Broadband but all the bundled content had gradually disappeared from the service over the 18 months of my contract. I should have complained, really, but knew I was moving and would likely need to transfer or re-negotiate at that point anyway.

Because my new address could not provide TV over ADSL broadband, I suggested to TT that they should take me out of the last couple of months of contract. Which they did. I then upgraded to fibre, and because they hadn't asked for my Youview box back, I still have it, and am still able to use it for the free catch-up services.

It seems like the TV Essentials payment is just to cover the cost of the Youview box.

I pay £27.70 for line rental, fibre BB and anytime free calls on an 18 month contract. (Free calls was extended from 12 to 18 months as recompense for the data hacking incident).
  • DavidP24
    Based on post above it seems you better make sure you get written confirmation.

One thing, you said 18m, are you sure it is not a 12m credit of line rental and 12m @ £2.25 per month for 12m.

Otherwise that is the best deal I have ever seen from them.

18m @ £1.50 a month
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I've just had a good deal with TT after my year's discount ran out.

I had had a scam call that morning, rang to report it and said I was so fed up that I wanted to leave as soon as able, ie November.

Transfer to loyalty section and a long discussion on web chat resulted in an immediate start in a new contract at £27 for the whole 18 months.

Anytime, international calls and TV. Quite happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure