Self Assessment and Marriage Allowance

Options
In 2016 using the new marriage allowance my wife transferred 10% of her personal allowance to me.
This transfer is permenant until either of us elect to cancel the arrangement according to HMRC.

When my wife completed the online self assessment for 2017/2018 we were surprised to be asked if she wished to transfer the 10% allowance for the 2017/2018 tax year.
We completed the transfer section with my surname, firstname, dob, NI number and marriage date.
When we tried to save it an error message was produced that some of the data was wrong (no idea what the data error is perhaps HMRC have entered the wrong marriage date somewhere!!).
After three failed attempts the section was completely removed from the self assessment form.

After contacting HMRC we were advised to complete the self assessment form without this section, however this is surely fraud as we are both claiming for the same personal allowance amount.

I have two questions:
(1) If you have transferred 10% of your personal allowance to your spouse should this part of the self assessment form be completed every time?
(2) If yes and the self assessment form produces a data error whom do you contact to confirm and correct the data that is in error?

I have tried several telephone calls to HMRC trying to explain the problem and trying to obtain an answer to these questions but they don't seem to understand the problem.

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 14 February 2019 at 7:07PM
    Options
    (1) If you have transferred 10% of your personal allowance to your spouse should this part of the self assessment form be completed every time?
    I believe so yes.
    (2) If yes and the self assessment form produces a data error whom do you contact to confirm and correct the data that is in error?

Was your wife using commercial software or filing direct with HMRC on gov.uk?

Had she included her date of birth in the relevant field on the return?
    NB. This isn't in the Marriage Allowance section

Have you checked your wife's Self Assessment tax calculation? Does this show the full Personal Allowance or the reduced amount?

Have you received a tax bill, new tax code or updated Self Assessment calculation since your wife filed her return?
  • JoeBlogg
    Options
    Filing direct using the HMRC web site and self assessment form.

She filled in her date of birth.

The tax calculation generated from submitting the self assessment showed a full personal allowance (£11,500) in the calculation.

The self assessment tax return was submitted on the 11th February 2019 (9:00am) so no fallout has occurred yet.
    We waited 72 hours as advised by HMRC before rechecking the tax calculation.
  • JoeBlogg
    Options
    Does anybody have any experience of filling in the Marriage Allowance section of the self assessment form?

Footnote -- reading the self assessment notes and watching the videos (rubbish on TV tonight) it states:-
    "11.4 Date of marriage or formation of civil partnership Only put a date in this box if you married or formed a civil partnership between 6 April 2017 and 5 April 2018. If you were married or formed a civil partnership between 6 April 2017 and 5 April 2018, you can claim 1/12th of the Married Couple’s Allowances for each month of your marriage or civil partnership."

So if I put a date in this field that was not in the 2017/2018 tax year (e.g. actual marriage date from 10 years ago) would the self assessment system produce a data error?
    The actual form just says "Date of Marriage or civil partnership DD MMM YYYY" and it is not clear it should be left blank if not in the self assessment tax year!!

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    I think you have found the problem.

You are trying to complete the Married Couple's Allowance section of the return when your original query was in relation to Marriage Allowance.

If you/your wife are eligible for Married Couple's Allowance then it is better as it worth nearly four times as much as Marriage Allowance :D
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can claim married couples allowance if one of you was born before 6 April 1935.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure