Do I need to buy a license if I dont terrestrial TV?

Comments

• martinbsp
    martinbsp Posts: 167 Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Do we really need another divisive argument regarding the pros and cons of the TV licence.

If you think it's worth it then pay it, if not find other arrangements.

Agreed.

I rarely watch tv but listen extensively to R4, R4 Extra and R3. The breadth and quality of both are worth it alone for the fee for me, especially when you consider all the podcasts that can be downloaded.

Your mileage may vary. There is no one answer.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I have moved this thread to "TV Moneysaving". Wherever it is, though, let's keep it civil.

Some info on points raised in the thread so far...

1. The £5pa fee is for the Quarterly DD scheme. Other payment schemes exist that do not have this fee.

2. The monthly DD scheme does not have a cash fee, but does involve building up a credit amount on account over the first 6 months.

3. BBC Radio, BBC Sounds and BBC Podcasts do not require a TV Licence.

4. BBC iPlayer does require a Licence.

5. The Licence can be purchased and subsequently refunded for remaining whole months. Therefore the minimum Licence period is 1 month.
  • wubu
    wubu Posts: 15 Forumite
    When I moved into my house I used my email to declare online that I don't need a TV licence, which I don't as I use NowTV.

Over Christmas I installed iPlayer on my mum's phone so she could watch it in bed and used their address as they pay for a licence but used my name and and email to create an account. Didn't think much of it but clearly they have flagged my account as there was an iPlayer loggin from an email address that was registered as no licence needed.

Any way they reckon they will send goons round if I don't pay up!! I did hear that even if you call them they will still want money and won't care a less what your reason in. Any advice?
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    wubu wrote: »
    When I moved into my house I used my email to declare online that I don't need a TV licence, which I don't as I use NowTV.

Yopu nmeed a licence if you watch any of the live tv channels on nowtv.

If you subscribe to them it would be hard to show you do not view them.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Merged with the existing thread on the same subject
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Yopu nmeed a licence if you watch any of the live tv channels on nowtv.

If you subscribe to them it would be hard to show you do not view them.

But the onus is not on you to prove you are innocent.
  • Cornucopia

Over Christmas I installed iPlayer on my mum's phone so she could watch it in bed and used their address as they pay for a licence but used my name and and email to create an account. Didn't think much of it but clearly they have flagged my account as there was an iPlayer loggin from an email address that was registered as no licence needed.

Any way they reckon they will send goons round if I don't pay up!! I did hear that even if you call them they will still want money and won't care a less what your reason in. Any advice?

There isn't a great deal you can do about their messages to you.

As for them calling, you have exactly the same right to ignore them or send them away as anyone else. You also have the right not to answer any of their individual questions, or to decline to be interviewed.

If you want a legal strategy to deter them from calling in the first place, probably the best approach is to invoke your PACE rights in writing. You simply tell them that because they appear to have flagged your address for an enforcement visit, you have checked your rights under the law, and wish to decline to be interviewed and also to inform them that if they persist with an interview you will want to obtain legal advice before and during the process.
  • wubu
    I checked NowTv FAQ page and appears you don't need a TVL if you're not streaming BBC stuff. I only use the other stuff. I guess I can request my data so they can see no connections to their services.
  • Cornucopia
    I checked NowTv FAQ page and appears you don't need a TVL if you're not streaming BBC stuff. I only use the other stuff. I guess I can request my data so they can see no connections to their services.

Not quite. You need a Licence (in a Now TV context) to view any live channels, not just BBC ones. You also need a Licence to use BBC iPlayer.
  • wubu
    Oh yes live too. I usually only watch box sets it YouTube any way so I'll let them do whatever they need to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure