FTTP - Any haggling against the BT Monopoly?

2»

Comments

• Highland76
    Highland76 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 13 October 2019 at 4:10PM
    Chino wrote: »
    By contrast, FTTP seems an expensive luxury capable of offering speeds that few residential customers need (yes, I know those hoping to be able to stream games at 8K will disagree).
    Around 80% of punters who are in Openreach FTTP only properties (eg new builds) will take out 80/20 or less tier. This is according to Thinkbroadband stats. Unless you didn't know that you could take out the 40/10 or 80/20 tier on Openreach FTTP? Contrary to popular opinion, not everyone needs/wants super duper speeds on FTTP.
  • Highland76
    edited 13 October 2019 at 4:11PM
    OP,
    The BT 40/10 FTTP service is £26.99/m if going through TBB:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/bt-broadband-offers

FYI Sky and TalkTalk will also start selling Openreach based FTTP services soon, however I can't imagine their prices being that different to BT's. If you want ADSL for £9.99 /m then I'm afraid you're going to have to move.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Takmon wrote: »
    Which isn't really that great of a deal because both Vodafone and Plusnet offer the same price to new customers plus they give gift cards which make it even cheaper than your deal.

Did not see either of those as offering me an FTTP service when checking .
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Did not see either of those as offering me an FTTP service when checking .

BT offer the same base prices for FTTP customers and FTTC customers so I thought it was a valid comparison.

Plusnet were offering a FTTP service but it seems it's not open to new customers yet.
  • Takmon wrote: »
    Which isn't really that great of a deal because both Vodafone and Plusnet offer the same price to new customers plus they give gift cards which make it even cheaper than your deal.

True enough (presumably, I've lost the thread a little on here :( ) but then again you do get BT CS rather than Vodafone or Plusnets, that's got to be worth something.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Takmon wrote: »
    Plusnet were offering a FTTP service but it seems it's not open to new customers yet.
    I am on FTTP with Plusnet it was only offered to a few customers that were capable of receiving it on a trial basis and the trial closed last year, those that were on the trial stayed on FTTP, it is not offered to any customers at the moment either new or existing.
  • jeepjunkie wrote: »
    No you can’t, many on our estate investigated that.
    There are new build estates that have FTTP installed that is not part of Openreach infrastructure, so not even BT is available to people living there, only a bunch of ISPs that no-one has heard of.

Since BT are obliged by OFCOM to allow wholesale access to their networks, if BT is available to you all the others in that link should be.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • There are new build estates that have FTTP installed that is not part of Openreach infrastructure, so not even BT is available to people living there, only a bunch of ISPs that no-one has heard of.

... who all have a kickback to the estate developer, by any chance?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Highland76
    edited 16 October 2019 at 11:27AM
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    Cool... so you have successfully moved from BT FTTP to another provider? The only way another provider will consider supply is if a whole load of residents in the estate all move over. Whats the chances of that... As it happens BT FTTP renewals are at very good rates. I could go on but CBA :)

I think you've got your wires crossed somewhere. Most FTTP new builds will be Openreach based - this means residents have a choice of ISPs such as BT Retail, Zen, IDnet, AAISP, Sky (soon etc). It may be that the developer wrongly tells residents that "BT" is the only ISP available, in which case they've clearly mixed up BT and Openreach. If you don't believe me, simply put in details of any Openreach FTTP only property (new build or not) on the checkers of Zen, IDNEt etc and see for yourself.

Some developers opt for OFNL FTTP network, and its residents on these estates which can't move over to BT. Sky( soon), IDNet, Zen etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure