Maximising Coop Everyday Rewards

Comments

• abz88
    abz88 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Poor_Leno wrote: »
    I do what you do, also suggested the NS&I direct saver elsewhere for the 30 transactions (the payment section is very speedy and reliable). I don't do them all in one go though, cos apparently you could get red flagged for suspicious activity. So, I do 4/5 transactions per day over a week. Its not at all time consuming, just a matter of copy/pasting the 16 digit number several times from notepad, I can remember the 3 digit security code and expiration, so its literally 15 seconds per transaction. So, 5 minutes effort for the full reward, I'll take that extra £1.50 than waste time filling in online surveys that most often yield nothing after 15 minutes of effort. I can understand why people wouldn't be bothered with this process though for the sake of £1.50. I just look at it as my NS&I account is earning me 5% extra interest per month on the £30 I send there.

Flagged red by Coop or NS&I? Surely it doesn't make a difference to either how many or close together transactions are? Have you ever had an issue with either one?
  • abz88 wrote: »
    Flagged red by Coop or NS&I? Surely it doesn't make a difference to either how many or close together transactions are? Have you ever had an issue with either one?

Happens in shops sometimes at self service till, do more than say 5 or 6 transactions and then gets declined.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    abz88 wrote: »

It's part of their automated fraud detection systems apparently. I've been told that some fraudsters will test stolen details with a few small value transactions and follow them up with a large one once they know the transaction has gone through.

When I did this with TSB I started off trying to make 20 rapid fire transactions, which were blocked after about 5 times or so until I went into a branch to unblock my card. I then started spreading them out over several days for a few months until the system "learnt" that I always make the same small value payments every month to the same place and I was then able to make all 20 in the same day - as above it took about 5 mins all up.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have my Co-Op debit card as my Android Pay, and just use it for any purchases less than £5, as then it equates to more than 1% cashback. In the event I don't have enough purchases during the month, I use my Revolut Card. I never thought of using it to pay a credit card!
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • keiran
    keiran Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 October 2019 at 11:21AM
    Only caught up with this following my post number 2 on 7 Oct.

I was (helpfully) answering the question posed by the OP.

I do the 30 lots of 5p payments quickly one after the other - probably takes 15 min a month. The debt card details are preloaded on my Capitalone account.

The 5p amount is arbitrary - I don't think there's a minimum for the Capitalone credit card .

This is a money saving website !! - Therefore questions such as "is it worth it", etc are misplaced here - £18 is a full £18!! - for free!!

And surely this method is easier than the other ones described in this thread....
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd have thought the auto top up of something like Amazon voucher was easiest as it's automated...if it suits you.

If you've got Amazon vouchers coming out of your ears after the Santander switchers it probably wouldn't suit... :)
  • abz88
    It's part of their automated fraud detection systems apparently. I've been told that some fraudsters will test stolen details with a few small value transactions and follow them up with a large one once they know the transaction has gone through.

When I did this with TSB I started off trying to make 20 rapid fire transactions, which were blocked after about 5 times or so until I went into a branch to unblock my card. I then started spreading them out over several days for a few months until the system "learnt" that I always make the same small value payments every month to the same place and I was then able to make all 20 in the same day - as above it took about 5 mins all up.

Thanks for that, never had this happen on other accounts but will spread out payments to NS&I starting next month to be on the safe side!
  • abz88
    keiran wrote: »
    Only caught up with this following my post number 2 on 7 Oct.

I was (helpfully) answering the question posed by the OP.

I do the 30 lots of 5p payments quickly one after the other - probably takes 15 min a month.

The 5p amount is arbitrary - I don't think there's a minimum for the Capitalone credit card .

This is a money saving website !! - Therefore questions such as "is it worth it", etc are misplaced here - £18 is a full £18!! - for free!!

And surely this method is easier than the other ones described in this thread....

Agreed, probably takes folk longer to type a message saying it's not worth it etc than it does to actually make the required transactions!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It's part of their automated fraud detection systems
    I wish the banks' automated fraud detection systems would detect leechers who are after free money and promptly close their accounts. It should be possible.
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    scgf wrote: »
    I wish the banks' automated fraud detection systems would detect leechers who are after free money and promptly close their accounts. It should be possible.

Nice horse, very high.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport