PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Wartime recipes, substitutions and other related austerity hints

Options

Comments

• buildersdaughter
    Options
    Thank you LizzieM. I grew up just after WW2, so was familiar with the stories, and rationing. We knew ourselves to be extremely lucky, and there was a constant (gentle) reminder to be grateful.
    Later, as a community nurse, I saw so much poverty (as industries closed etc) that I was reminded of those war-time stories. There is a lot of 'hidden 'poverty and I salute all of those parents and grandparents doing their best to make a good life for their children on very little.
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is a lot of 'hidden 'poverty and I salute all of those parents and grandparents doing their best to make a good life for their children on very little.
    :) I concur completely with this.

I was raised by grandparents however they always did "what they could" , its only really later in life you get almost a "second realisation" of it all, I mean you appreciated it at the time but it is only much later you actually can put two and two together and see the 'real' story/factors. Difficult to explain.
  • RebeccaAnn
    Options
    This isn't a wartime recipe and may not be any use to anyone but I shall add it and hope no one minds.

I make a mock tuna mayo from chickpeas as I managed to buy lots of tins at 4 for a pound. You could use dried chickpeas and pre soak.

Drain and rinse 1 can of chickpeas, cover with water and then bring to the boil ( apparently you can make this without heating but I find them too hard). Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 mins. Drain then rinse in cold water until cooled. Fully drain, mash leaving some larger pieces. Add mayo until a tuna mayo consistency. Add finely chopped pickled gherkin, wholegrain mustard, salt and pepper to taste.
    SPC #062
    12k in2019 #23 £8167/£16k
    Make £2019 in 2019 #32 £513/£2019
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    That sounds interesting, RebeccaAnn, I shall note it for when my vegan daughter visits (using vegan mayonnaise of course).
    One life - your life - live it!
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That sounds interesting, RebeccaAnn, I shall note it for when my vegan daughter visits (using vegan mayonnaise of course).

You can get vegan tuna now from a good few supermarkets - Loma Linda is the brand I think - Mrs Un got some earlier in the week, in rather cat confusing blue pouches

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    RebeccaAnn wrote: »
    I make a mock tuna mayo from chickpeas

Or as we call it in the 21st century, hummus.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 October 2019 at 9:27AM
    Options
    My mother used to make something she called 'mock crab' for sandwiches. Boiled egg chopped up with tomatoes. I presume that it was the resulting colour that earned it it's name. It certainly didn't taste of crab! Curried eggs were a treat reserved for parties. Yolks of hard boiled eggs mixed with a pinch of curry powder and salad cream then piped back into the whites as a rosette. A sprig of parsley from the garden added that extra touch! :)
    Things like French toast, pancakes, dumplings were used as fillers. A cup of hot oxo and a slice of bread were a comforting supper before we ventured upstairs clutching our hot water bottles :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 October 2019 at 11:33AM
    Options
    I had a step back in time today on discovering my last batch of mini cucumbers in the fridge salad drawer which I decided to pickle in dill vinegar to avoid wasting them.

I hunted for my old Marguerite pattern pickles & chutneys paperback book, one of a whole series i bought when first married in 1966 (price 2/6d) !

The pages are brown with age, falling away from the binding and even the sellotape I used to stick them back in, along with other typed recipes I tried is brown with age and disintegrating .

But does anybody remember the copying paper we used before modern photocopiers were invented? I have some brown (with age I suspect) "greaseproof type" copying paper stuck into the book with all kinds of hints on pickling which is now totally unreadable as all the print on the paper has faded. And i thought I had recorded the information for posterity....or my lifetime use at least!

Anybody seeing the state of this book would throw it straight into the bin but for me it represents a wide range of preserving exercises over the years. Marguerite Pattern was pretty reliable. My own failures have been annotated with handwritten scribbles and there have been a few of them too!

I!ve never yet managed to store long term my oven dried herbed tomatoes in oil. Despite all the hygiene precautions they've still always ended up going mouldy!!
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can get vegan tuna now from a good few supermarkets - Loma Linda is the brand I think - Mrs Un got some earlier in the week, in rather cat confusing blue pouches

Just to warn anyone tempted to buy it - it's revolting and nothing like tuna.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 October 2019 at 10:13PM
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    Just to warn anyone tempted to buy it - it's revolting and nothing like tuna.

Although to counter that, it's not necessarily about the taste of actual tuna per se, it's about a generic taste & texture similar to that of a nice bit of tuna. From an omnivore's perspective - if you like tuna, just eat tuna.
    When Mrs Un & myself first got together (some 20 odd years ago) I researched and pretty much spent a day making some mock duck Buddhist style - which is more or less a very very very complicated dumpling. I ended up with something about the size of a small chipolata and she refused to eat it because it looked like slugs :rotfl:

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback