And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Comments

• pinkypig wrote: »
    Thanks Wish,you're so kind:A. I generally feel like I'm chasing my tail and achieving b***er all :rotfl:

Ohh are you my doppelgänger?

Fed up of chasing my tail and doing the same things over an over again. It's Groundhog Day here!
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    One more day until my holibobs:j:j

Work was good today, no dramas or hiccups- lovely :D. I marked like a demon and flew out of the door in time to watch ds play football. It was soooo cold,I'm still thawing out:eek:
    Lunch was lo and dinner a veggie curry and lo rice and hm naan from the freezer so no cooking at all:)

In money news I have rent :j:j. It's a bit depleted by set up fees but still very welcome:). Its gone straight to the os pot along with what was left in my current account as today is pay day :j. The cb cc which I use for food, fuel and personal spends has been cleared. This month £100 went on my new m&s cc which should net me £55 in vouchers:money: .So a nice, fresh start:D

As April is a four week month my budgets will be;

Grocery £128
    Fuel. £120
    Personal £46

My targets will be ;

AVC £880 net
    Mortgage op £430

In terms of planning ahead I've two birthdays but presents will come from sale bargain stash and I have plenty of cards.
    My holidays plans are sociable but thrifty! I've invited wider family for dinner on Good Friday and will use up freezer stocks so just need veg and the 19p S6 is on:j. We've friends coming for dinner on Easter Sunday so I'll make various curries, hm naan, dhal and saag aloo mainly from stores. I've got two meet ups with friends the first week of the hols so I've invited them here. One for coffee and cake and one for lunch (loads of soup and posh ys bread in the freezer). Should all be good fun without spending much extra :)

The second week the kids are with their dad so I'm having another staycation as February's was fab. Depending on the weather it will be a mix of hill walks,running, cycling, picnics,reading, TV, baking, snoozing, wine and home cooked meals. Lovely :). Going to aim for a ns week other than one grocery shop and a tank of fuel.

Off to watch an episode of Shetland with a cup of sleepy tea then bed. Did I mention its only one day until my holidays?:p:p

Happy Hump Day :)

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • It's not even hump day this week Pp, it's cruising down the slope to the hols. (I don't think you said, but how long is it until you finish ;) )

I'm looking forward to a 4 week month too. Hubby is away for two weeks working (which always means reduced grocery shops for Pickle & I) but then I'm away working for a week which I suspect will mean it will be pricy as hubby is not as mse as I am.

Your holiday plans sound lovely, but don't fret if you do release the financial reigns a little bit. As someone on here said to me a long time ago, we are mfws not dfws, a little enjoyment is not going to rock the boat.

Sleep well

Wish.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not sure how I got so far behind. Your food spends really are impressive considering you have two teenagers?

Re: shred I did feel more toned when doing it and it definitely also helped with my running. I am hitting 15k steps a day at the moment and planning to me more consistent with weight workouts.

Your staycation sounds great, fingers crossed for dry weather and for it to warm up a little.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • pinkypig
    It's not even hump day this week Pp, it's cruising down the slope to the hols. (I don't think you said, but how long is it until you finish ;) )

I'm looking forward to a 4 week month too. Hubby is away for two weeks working (which always means reduced grocery shops for Pickle & I) but then I'm away working for a week which I suspect will mean it will be pricy as hubby is not as mse as I am.

Your holiday plans sound lovely, but don't fret if you do release the financial reigns a little bit. As someone on here said to me a long time ago, we are mfws not dfws, a little enjoyment is not going to rock the boat.

Sleep well

Wish.

Thanks Wish, I hope you have a lovely, chocolatey holibobs too :D

You're right on not feeling guilty about an occasional splurge (remember all those bikinis and the flights to go with them?:o:o:rotfl:) because this is a long game. I love that I truly enjoy my treats because they are the exception rather than the norm. Also love watching that os pot grow:rotfl:
    CathT wrote: »
    Not sure how I got so far behind. Your food spends really are impressive considering you have two teenagers?

Re: shred I did feel more toned when doing it and it definitely also helped with my running. I am hitting 15k steps a day at the moment and planning to me more consistent with weight workouts.

Your staycation sounds great, fingers crossed for dry weather and for it to warm up a little.

One mid teen and a young adult Cath. Luckily they like proper food! Its taken years to get to this stage but meal planning, targeted ys shopping (never pay more than 10p for bread:D), plenty of veggie meals and batch cooking has really nailed it down. We also waste nowt:D:D. The GC on OS is amazing and I've got so much to thank the stalwarts like Weezil and JackieO for. They are the masters:A

Well done on all your exercise:T. Have a lovely, lovely Easter xx
  • pinkypig
    I'm on hoooooolidaaaaay:j:j

15 days off :j:j:j:j:j:j. I've got a bit of work to do but not thinking about that yet, it can stay in the boot of the car!

Today has been a good day. Work went smoothly and I'm now at home having enjoyed a little late afternoon snooze. To celebrate the start of the holidays its wine and ys sea bass and a box set as the kids are out and about until tomorrow.

In money news Ive had a nsd, done a 44p TT and £90 TCB has been confirmed:j. This means Ive got a year's worth of landlord buildings and indemnity for less than £60:money: I'm not sure of the exact amount without looking but the renewal was over £200!

Other successes included;

Laundry folded and away
    Shopping list done
    Marking up to date
    Posh fish dinner and accompaniments for 2 for under £2:)
    Sweep and wipe done

Tomorrow's plans includes food shopping, a trail run and a nice extended family dinner :)

Happy Thursday to you :)

PP xx
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Wonderful! Your holiday sounds like you've got great plans - lot of cooking in the next few days, but you seem well prepared for even that :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Wow Pinkypig, you are truly amazing. I consider myself to be quite busy and organised but you take it to another level. I am envious of your grocery spends, I can get mine down to the £200-250 mark but not much lower (We are three adults). I clearly need to try harder....
  • pinkypig
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Wonderful! Your holiday sounds like you've got great plans - lot of cooking in the next few days, but you seem well prepared for even that :)

Thank you Karma, I'm so looking forward to it. I really like cooking when I'm not pushed for time:). I hope you have a lovely Easter too xx
    Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    Wow Pinkypig, you are truly amazing. I consider myself to be quite busy and organised but you take it to another level. I am envious of your grocery spends, I can get mine down to the £200-250 mark but not much lower (We are three adults). I clearly need to try harder....

Hiya Busy Mee :wave:, lovely to 'see you' :)

I'm really not :o. I seem to have a list I never finish!! My grocery budget is a culmination of years of tweaking. Luckily we eat (and enjoy) a lot of veggie foods and the kids are used to no convenience foods or snacks except one big family pack of crisps bought on pay day and when they're gone they're gone. They've learned to snack on toast and cereal and I do bake once a week to stop them mutinying:rotfl: I also love a ys:). I hope you have a lovely Easter xx
  • pinkypig
    Evening :wave:

Well Good Friday has been good :D. It started earlier than intended as I'd forgot to switch off my alarm (idiot:o) so there was no first day of the holibobs lie in! Looking on the bright side I got to read and drink coffee in bed and still got out for a run reasonably early. Really enjoying my running at the moment so it was a great start to the day. Cold though:eek:

In money news there isn't much. The grocery shopping was done for £27.77 and I got a pile of 19p veg and three lots of 29p spuds from Aldi. I roasted parsnips, carrots and swede for tonight's dinner and made a batch of daphinoise potatoes. We had one lot tonight and the rest went in foil trays in the freezer for easy week day roasts when I'm back at work. I'm going to braise one red cabbage with apples for the freezer and will pickle the other, the leeks are going to become soup and cheesy leek pie filling and the rest of the veg will be sc curry or Thai carrot soup. Amazing value so may have another trip before Tuesday and tweak the meal plan to take advantage as I've plenty of time to cook this week.

We had a lovely family dinner. Pudding was provided (and there's loads left over) and the rest came out of the freezer so no extra spends. It was a nice end to the day and didn't take much prepping. There's loads of lo so no cooking tomorrow :)

I've had a bit of a splurge:o. My favourite wine is £7 a bottle and isn't widely available but its currently on offer in Sainsbury's at £6 with an extra 25% off if you buy six bottles. I went through TCB and should get £5.25 and got free delivery by taking a 9-10pm slot on Monday. I've ordered 24 bottles:eek::eek:. As I drink two bottles a month it'll last a while and I've used my £90 TCB to pay for it. As it's brought it down to £4.28 a bottle I'll charge it to my grocery budget as and when I use one. Confession over :rotfl:

My alarm is off so tomorrow will hopefully start with a lie in followed by a day of pottering. I'm also going to change the beds as it looks liked the only line drying day this week.

Off to root through Netflix for a new box set and then lights out by 10.30.

Happy Friday to you :)

PP xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback