TalkTalk going to charge for Email Access

Have received an email from TalkTalk that as I don't have a broadband contract with them I either have to sign up with them, or pay a monthly fee of £5 or annual £50 for continued use of my email address. I was a customer with them for internet access years ago hence why I have email addresses with them. Else in 2 weeks I will have limited access and then in a couple of months they will begin to delete email accounts. Has any one else had this email? And how can they do this?

Comments

• Growingold wrote: »
    Have received an email from TalkTalk that as I don't have a broadband contract with them I either have to sign up with them, or pay a monthly fee of £5 or annual £50 for continued use of my email address. I was a customer with them for internet access years ago hence why I have email addresses with them. Else in 2 weeks I will have limited access and then in a couple of months they will begin to delete email accounts. Has any one else had this email? And how can they do this?

You've been getting a free service that is usually charged for. £50 isn't much if you really want that email or move over to a free service such as hotmail or yahoo.
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,484
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    They can do it because they quite reasonably no longer wish to offer free services to ex-customers.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,868
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Growingold wrote: »
    Have received an email from TalkTalk that as I don't have a broadband contract with them I either have to sign up with them, or pay a monthly fee of £5 or annual £50 for continued use of my email address. I was a customer with them for internet access years ago hence why I have email addresses with them. Else in 2 weeks I will have limited access and then in a couple of months they will begin to delete email accounts. Has any one else had this email?

See elsewhere on the forum.
    And how can they do this?

Quite easily.
    BT operate in the same way.

Moral of the story: Don't use ISP email. This is why.
    If you don't like it, Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook.com to name but three will do you email for free (and some adverts).
  • Growingold wrote: »
    And how can they do this?
    Do you think they should continue to provide you with a service for free indefinitely because you were once a customer?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Hi, I am in the same boat, willing to pay £50 but system won't accept my password. Am stuck and dreading losing all of my emails. Any suggestions please.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Web mail and change password ??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts