Cost of replacing wooden window frame

My garage has a window with dimensions about 100cm x 75 cm and is split into 3 rectangular glass segments. We are looking to replace the wooden frame as it is very old and is rotting away. So far we have had one quote of £250 which I consider to be very excessive. Am I right?

Comments

• ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Is that supply and fit ?
    Wood or upvc ?

What makes you consider £250 very excessive.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    It's supply the wood and fitting it. I thought the cost was high because I thought the price of materials can't be too expensive and it shouldn't take a professional all that long to do the job. Perhaps this is not the case?
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    how is your diy? you could measure the hole the window fits in and price up a UPVC dg unit on one of the UPVC supplier websites and install it yourself.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    tonyh66 wrote: »
    how is your diy? you could measure the hole the window fits in and price up a UPVC dg unit on one of the UPVC supplier websites and install it yourself.

I will save the bother. A UPVC window of that size with no bells and whistles is circa £150, which leaves £100 to fit it
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    thor wrote: »
    My garage has a window with dimensions about 100cm x 75 cm and is split into 3 rectangular glass segments. We are looking to replace the wooden frame as it is very old and is rotting away. So far we have had one quote of £250 which I consider to be very excessive. Am I right?

Seen as though its a garage window i would just a used pvc window from fleebay (£30 -£50) and just watch a few videos online how to diy it all you really need is long window screws some packers and expanding foam its not hard, all done in an hour maybe 2 if your taking your time
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    ratrace wrote: »
    Seen as though its a garage window i would just a used pvc window from fleebay (£30 -£50)

But it does depend on the construction of the garage. A simple timber framed structure is dead easy to fit a window to. A sectional concrete construction, not so easy as it can be hard work drilling in to the walls. A single skin brick built garage is usually fairly straight forward. BUT... If there is a course or two of bricks over the window without a lintel, then extra work is required.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    FreeBear wrote: »
    But it does depend on the construction of the garage. A simple timber framed structure is dead easy to fit a window to. A sectional concrete construction, not so easy as it can be hard work drilling in to the walls. A single skin brick built garage is usually fairly straight forward. BUT... If there is a course or two of bricks over the window without a lintel, then extra work is required.

Maybe the op, could clarify what the construction is then we may be able to provide further help, untill then we have no idea
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • How about refurbishing the window frames you have?
    I have tired looking mahogany wood frames.

So where do I go from here? These are the products I am about to purchase:
    wood filler
     stain

sandpaper
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business