Advice re property in Stirlingshire?

trish-o
trish-o Posts: 643
First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 21 February 2019 at 8:57AM in Scotland
Hi

We currently live in the north-west of England and my husband is being transferred to work in the Grangemouth area. We are looking to move to a bungalow in a village setting with lots of lovely walks for our dogs, within around 15-20 miles of work.

Can anyone recommend any suitable areas, please?

Thanks, Trish

Comments

• davidscot
    davidscot Posts: 597
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 21 February 2019 at 9:42AM
    There are a few places you could consider. Linlithgow is popular as it is only a 10/15 minute drive for work but can be expensive. I think it would depend on how far you really want to travel for work
  • trish-o
    Forumite
    davidscot wrote: »
    There are a few places you could consider. Linlithgow is popular but can be expensive. I think it would depend on how far you really want to travel for work

Thanks davidscot, I think around 15 miles or so is the furthest he would like to travel.
  • trish-o wrote: »
    Thanks davidscot, I think around 15 miles or so is the furthest he would like to travel.

Then Fife would be out as even with travel over the bridge it would be around 20/30 miles. There are a few towns/villages dotted around that would be suitable if you do a search
  • trish-o
    Forumite
    davidscot wrote: »
    Then Fife would be out as even with travel over the bridge it would be around 20/30 miles. There are a few towns/villages dotted around that would be suitable if you do a search

Thanks, I'll have a look.
  • Thrice
    Thrice Posts: 159 Forumite
    Laurieston is nice, there is some lovely older homes along the streets. Across from Callendar Park as well, some lovely walks there. Not too far from the Kelpies as well, which leads on to the long walk to the Falkirk Wheel.
  • trish-o
    Forumite
    Thrice wrote: »
    Laurieston is nice, there is some lovely older homes along the streets. Across from Callendar Park as well, some lovely walks there. Not too far from the Kelpies as well, which leads on to the long walk to the Falkirk Wheel.

Thanks Thrice, the Kelpies look amazing, they are close to where my hubby will be working. I'll have a look at Laurieston, thanks again.
  • slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It may help your search to know that "Stirlingshire" has had no real existence for decades, except for some reason in online address finders.

Grangemouth is on the edge of Falkirk (historically part of Stirlingshire but not since unitary authorities came in). Falkirk has a wide range of areas - rural and town. The Kelpies are indeed lovely but the housing areas closest to them are rather less so ;-) To be honest, all you need to do is go onto rightmove.co.uk and search houses over the whole of Falkirk. The expensive ones are the nicer places to live!

Most of the villages are ex-mining villages but a lot of the settlements around the edge of Falkirk (Braes area for instance - Polmont, Maddiston) might suit you. In the other direction Bo'ness might be worth a look, there are a lot of walks along the shore.
  • trish-o
    Forumite
    slbhill wrote: »
    It may help your search to know that "Stirlingshire" has had no real existence for decades, except for some reason in online address finders.

Grangemouth is on the edge of Falkirk (historically part of Stirlingshire but not since unitary authorities came in). Falkirk has a wide range of areas - rural and town. The Kelpies are indeed lovely but the housing areas closest to them are rather less so ;-) To be honest, all you need to do is go onto rightmove.co.uk and search houses over the whole of Falkirk. The expensive ones are the nicer places to live!

Most of the villages are ex-mining villages but a lot of the settlements around the edge of Falkirk (Braes area for instance - Polmont, Maddiston) might suit you. In the other direction Bo'ness might be worth a look, there are a lot of walks along the shore.

Thank you, that is very helpful. We plan to visit for a few days and hopefully get a feel for the areas we like and can afford. All advice is much appreciated, thank you.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure