What could be the problem?

Options
When the thermostat turns off the central heating and hot water, the hot water continues to get heated and there's constant noises of pumping and gurgling.

Manual turn off doesn't work either and I have to turn off the whole system, including the gas pilot and electric switch to stop the constant heating and pumping of the hot water.

Seems to calm down after being switched off but gets worse by the end of the day.

Any idea what it could be? And is it serious?

???

The central heating seems to work fine.
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us...."

Comments

• micko2602
    Options
    When I turn off my central heating the pump still runs occasionally for upto an hourafter it switches off.
    Do you radiators stay hot?
    It could just be a faulty thermostat, I assume when you say the thermostat switches off the desired temperature has been reached?
    Or are you getting this confused with the central heating timer?
    The thermostat will switch the heating on and off to sustain a constant room temperature.
    If it is not switching off via the time/controller I would suspect the timer unit, thing is depending on how old the central heating system is its hard to say.
    Newer systems have control boards inside, and these will control the system operation.
  • micko2602
    Options
    Just read your post again there. You don't by any chance have an immersion heater do you?
    It may be that you could have knocked it accidently, this could account for constant hot water, and also a massive electricity bill.
  • temin
    temin Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Actually I do have an immersion heater(I think) that uses electricity,as well as the water being heated via the Gas Central heating system.

The immersion heater has to be switched on for hot water but I usually have it switched off as the CH provides hot water when the gas and water central heating is on. I have switched the immersion heater on and off a few times, just in case it was stuck.

Both systems seem to use the same hot water tank(which is upstairs) to store the hot water and that is where I here the noises as well as downstairs where the gas CH boiler is.

Completely switching off the gas central heating(ie pilot,elctricity) seems to stop the noises.

The radiators do not heat up by the way.
    “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us...."
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So are you saying that you radiators dont get hot when you have it turned on and the room stat is turned up?

How do you control the temp of the hot water?
    Is the system full of water?-check the small tank in the Loft

Has the system a cylinder stat?-check its set @ 65

Is the hot water pump or gravity?

Is there any motorised values?
  • temin
    Options
    Actually I must admit I don't know much about the system.
    The boiler is an Ideal W RS440 and I have checked that it is about 12 years old(I thought it was older - have only moved into this house a year ago).

I think the temperature of the water is regulated by the thermostat which controls the room temperature, unless it's the boiler thermostat knob.

I don't seem to have a problem with the heating.
    I usually have the CH and water on a timer and that works OK during the day. So the radiators get hot then when they are supposed to.

At night when the timer is switched off and hence the display for both the CH and hot water switch off, the boiler seems to fire up again and there are weird gurgling noises that start up. The noises continue even when the boiler is not firing.

I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of gurgling which scared me as it sounded like the water was boiling and I had visions of the tank exploding!
    A bit dramatic I know!! :)
    The hot water tank is upstairs.
    The radiators don't get hot at this time.

When I turn the boiler off completely ie the pilot light and power switch, it stops.
    When I turn it on again in the morning everything seems fine, except to start off again at night...

I think there is a pump as apparently it was changed at the same time as the boiler.

I don't know what the cylinder stat is and where I'd find it. Ditto motorised values.

I'm really confused as to what it could be.
    ???
  • temin
    Options
    Rather than turning off the whole system last night, I just reduced the boiler thermostat to the minimum and that seems to have solved the nightly problem.
    Just worried that when the CH kicks in in the morning, the boiler is not at it's most efficient.
    Also one more thing to remember- turn up the boiler thermostat again in the morning and turn it down at night.
    At least it's not going to blow up!!!! ;D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure