Delete Delete Delete

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,970
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 27 December 2023 at 1:33PM
    Hello

I’m serving in the RAF and wondering about an advance in pay. I’ve never taken one before and curious how much you can take and if you need a legit reason for doing it. And is someone able to confirm that it’s interest free please?

Cheers
    Chris

It depends. Are you are asking about an advance of pay for house purchase? Or are you posted to/from overseas soon?

If not, and you are just looking to pay off your Barclaycard (seen your other post) then the answer depends on which side of the bed your WO PSF got out of. Even if sympathetic (almost certainly won't be if this is the case), any advance would be recovered in full from your next month's salary.

I've been retired for a while now (Sgt Pers Admin) but in my day advances of pay were only - exceptionally - authorised to meet an unforeseen emergency. As I remember saying many times, Christmas and/or overspending on credit cards are neither unforeseen nor emergencies.
  • Na I was just trying to be cheeky. Was thinking if I could get as much of an advance in pay as I could it would effectively be a free loan that I could put into savings and earn interest on. Found out that you can’t just have one willy nilly so that’s that idea gone ha ha!!
  • I would suggest that dreaming up a scheme to take money from the taxpayer for your own personal gain isn't the cleverest thing to do. Nor is having a username and signature that identifies yourself. I wouldn't be surprised if you were invited for a one-way chat soon, where the words "honesty & integrity" are explained to you.
  • martinbuckley i also agree with you! 
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,282
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can in extreme circumstances get an advance of pay on posting, but you'd have to explain the reason why.  On an over seas posting (to and from) you can request up to 3X your monthly salary which you pay back over the following 12 months, and yes its interest free.  (NB the 3X salary use to apply to certain locations, nit sure how it lies now) 
    But yes I agree with other posts your in cloud cuckoo land, if you think the pay chiefs are going to dish out a interest fee lump sum.
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills