Sending large video file

Options
Hello
I need help and advice on the best and safest way to send a video (3 minutes long) to an email address.
I've tried my hotmail but that's no good.

What do I need to do?

Many thanks.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What size is the file?

You might be easier sticking on a cloud based storage system such as Dropbox, Google Drive, MS Onedrive etc and then sharing access to that one file location to your recipient.
  • bob_a_builder
    Options
    Similar to above ..

put it on Google Photos and share the link to it by email

Upload to your Facebook photos and set it to be shared ONLY with the specific person

Upload to YouTube : Set it to Private, and share the link to it by email
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to keep the full quality, use a file hoster, such as https://www.mediafire.com
    Allows up to 4GB per file.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    or send via wetransfer.com

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Seconded. You can send up to 2GB and the link lasts for a week
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    whatever you put on the internet, use something like 7zip to encrypt it first. Using modern codecs, the stream probably wont compress, so just use the simplest compression for speed.

If you do not need the security or privacy, you may as well use youtube?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    that wrote: »
    whatever you put on the internet, use something like 7zip to encrypt it first. Using modern codecs, the stream probably wont compress, so just use the simplest compression for speed.

It's probably safe to assume the video is already compressed, because otherwise we would be talking about literally gigabytes of space for a raw uncompressed video file (especially in this era of HD).

That's all the codec does, compress the file so it doesn't take up a load of space. A zip program may be able to reduce it slightly more (2% most probably if that) but runs the risk of the ZIP being bigger then the video file itself - the overheads of the zip file being larger than the gains of compression. If that's the case it doesn't solve the OP's problem.

Easiest solution is an online drive - Onedrive, Google Drive to name but two - or upload to YouTube, set private and send the link to the other email. They can use any manner of online tools to download the video themselves if that's what they want.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    It's probably safe to assume the video is already compressed, because otherwise we would be talking about literally gigabytes of space for a raw uncompressed video file (especially in this era of HD).

That's all the codec does, compress the file so it doesn't take up a load of space. A zip program may be able to reduce it slightly more (2% most probably if that) but runs the risk of the ZIP being bigger then the video file itself - the overheads of the zip file being larger than the gains of compression. If that's the case it doesn't solve the OP's problem.

Easiest solution is an online drive - Onedrive, Google Drive to name but two - or upload to YouTube, set private and send the link to the other email. They can use any manner of online tools to download the video themselves if that's what they want.
    @that was talking bout using zip not to compress but to password protect. As you both point out any compression will be marginal at best. Any decent archiving app will support zero compression archives.
  • square_bear
    square_bear Posts: 3,865 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll try Dropbox first and see how I get on.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Now that's a name that's filling my SPAM folder.
    I'm not sure that a download link of https : / / zjxhqd.com/edited/path/?email=ab@example.com is entirely genuine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure