Wanting to know good areas to move to in around Edinburgh Or maybe glasgow

ellyroo
ellyroo Posts: 50
Photogenic First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 27 April 2019 at 3:15AM in Scotland
Heya sorry again for being a butt on these forums :') im a new mover and stuff and im insanely naive
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5985102
Here is the thread you may know me from ahah, But its in terms of my budget

Budget:
Edinburgh: 550-650 per month
Glasgow: 450-500 Per Month
(If i get LHA :) )

Requirements

- Local (ish) Aldi or LIDL, I much prefer the cheaper shopping and i really like the food from there over the more mainstream supermarkets, Plus it'll be a ton cheaper eating vegetarian

- Good Transport, Hopefully a local train station (im a trainwatcher too!) As i will likely be commuting Back and forward from Glasgow or Edinburgh to Larbert Scotland for my art group,

- Not too far from Glasgow or Edinburgh Infirmaries, I like a hospital being closer for some reason (7 Miles Max)

Wants-

- Village and/or Quiet Area, I'm someone That loves a early morning walk, I like a mixture of concrete and Greenery, a Library or such would be great to have closeby too, i lived in an area
in forth valley called, Polmont, thats the model place of where i'd like to live, Quite Suburban in places, Im a sucker for Suburbs.
- Not as near Pubs?, Can live with a few Drunks, but dont want it to be a major issue
- Garden! , I have a grand plan of hosting a christmas bbq with family and Friends :)
- Easier Travel to a College as i plan to maybe go back in 1-2 years once i pick myself back up
- To be added

Why Not forth valley: I really want to start up somewhere new, i've lived in FV for a long time and i fancy somewhere new for a first start :), plus forth valley is really sadly lacking for things to do, very nice quiet area though, and Maybe would be the 2nd place i move to in maybe a load of years time, who knows. i kind of want to go somewhere where nobody really knows who i am, fresh start!.

Why Edinburgh? : Grew up there too :), I really like the city, It's closer to my dad so means i can see him more often as i rarely seen him growing up, we get along well too, Lots to do in Edinburgh too , will be great for my fitness, Awesome travel too, also the trainseer in me will totally pine for what you can get around slateford or craigentinny, etc etc

Why Glasgow: Went to College there, Loved the area, New spot im not known too, big city, lots to do, Also im a convention goer and my personal friends live around or near glasgow so we can go out more and easier :D

Edinburgh areas i've considered/looked at

- Liberton
- Gorgie
- Dalkeith
- Gilmerton
- Dalry

Glasgow areas I've considered/looked at

- Mount Florida
- [STRIKE]Rutherglen[/STRIKE] [Crime Horror stories]

Areas i'm due to look into:

- Clydebank
- Battlefield
- Morningside
- Corstorphine
- Paisley
- Partick

More to be added

sorry if im being a bit too picky or asking beyond my means, :') again im a naive butt

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,846
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I saw your original post and glad to see you are now looking for somewhere to live.

I can only personally speak about Edinburgh.

As you will be aware Edinburgh isn't the cheapest place to try and rent and a flat share starts at £350 pm and obviously increases depending on the area.

A 1 bed property is already near the maximum of your budget in an area I would not live in, but it does have a tram stop.

You will be aware Lothian Buses have a very good service.

My concerns are your age will limit the amount of money paid towards your rent and being on benefits will limit the properties available to you.

I like Corstorphine, but rental isn't cheap. Dalkieth is nice too.

There are quite a lot of new build flats, but gardens are a rarity.

I know Glasgow comes in cheaper for some areas, but cannot say which to look at.

Have you considered doing this backwards? See what areas come in on your budget then look into what the area is like? Have a look on Rightmove, Gumtree, openrent etc.

You can get a lot more for your money in Fife so consider expanding your search area.

Have you got a deposit? Budget for around two times the monthly rent; it tends to be one month rent in advance and one month rent as deposit.

Do you have someone who will stand as guarantor for you?

Wishing you luck, hope you find somewhere and are settled before summer :)
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • ellyroo
    Forumite
    edited 27 April 2019 at 5:57AM
    I saw your original post and glad to see you are now looking for somewhere to live.

I can only personally speak about Edinburgh.

As you will be aware Edinburgh isn't the cheapest place to try and rent and a flat share starts at £350 pm and obviously increases depending on the area.

A 1 bed property is already near the maximum of your budget in an area I would not live in, but it does have a tram stop.

You will be aware Lothian Buses have a very good service.

My concerns are your age will limit the amount of money paid towards your rent and being on benefits will limit the properties available to you.

I like Corstorphine, but rental isn't cheap. Dalkieth is nice too.

There are quite a lot of new build flats, but gardens are a rarity.

I know Glasgow comes in cheaper for some areas, but cannot say which to look at.

Have you considered doing this backwards? See what areas come in on your budget then look into what the area is like? Have a look on Rightmove, Gumtree, openrent etc.

You can get a lot more for your money in Fife so consider expanding your search area.

Have you got a deposit? Budget for around two times the monthly rent; it tends to be one month rent in advance and one month rent as deposit.

Do you have someone who will stand as guarantor for you?

Wishing you luck, hope you find somewhere and are settled before summer :)

awh thank you >w< , i really like that ! , and im loving this bit, I knew it'd probably be a good idea to come to here for a check, specially as this is about being extra cool with money and stuff

So guarantoor wise, Yeah! :D my dad offered to be my guarantor, and he's a edinburgh native so i've been working with him looking through areas and such.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-80805311.html
    this is one i seen and i was like, Super liking, though i probably will assume by the time i have enough it'll be gone, but i can use this property as like a benchmark :), Plus im feeling fond of the sort of, Gilmerton - Liberton - Colinton - Morningside area of Edinburgh as somewhere i'd like to go to, And maybe putting it up against the Gorgie-Slateford-Dalry area
    (i once lived in slateford, t'was p nice)

I'm not really sure how to do it backwards, usually my methodology is to go onto rightmove or zoopla and key in an area and then my budget and see what comes up :), i haven't tried openrent yet!, but if it is what i think it is it looks like a real diamond! :D

and oh yeah, lothian buses are really great!, launch a firework from city centre and a bus will go to anywhere it lands.

Desposit would be in what i'm saving up for/Getting a loan out for :), Hopefully wont be a long time but hoping to have about 1500-1800 for Deposit + First Months rent. I've tickled with the thought of borrowing 1000 from the Bank to speed up the process, but i do worry that would be "financial suicide"

Fife is an area i've slightly tickled with, But i have very poor knowledge of the area?, I've heard of places maybe like aberdour or queensferry but it would make traveling a bit trickier., though i was told aberdour is really lovely.

Glasgows a bit of a nightmare cause its got so many areas and so many bad eggs with good eggs amongst them,

and I never really knew my age would be an issue, but i did have a fear the benefits i'm on would come into play, specially as i'd like to not have what i'm on touched so as my financial stability is what i planned for :), Though i will be getting put on Universal credit sometime in future, But thats just.. idk? I think my sister says for me to go to citizens advice?
  • MovingForwards
    Forumite
    To do it backwards go onto Rightmove, or another site, search rentals, Edinburgh change it to expand 3 miles and then set it as low to high rent per month and start wading through :) same with Glasgow, Fife etc.

Regarding Fife I only suggested that as I know it's cheaper than Edinburgh and also has a regular bus service into Edinburgh, potentially keeping your costs down.

Try and avoid getting a bank loan for a deposit as it will affect your monthly budget, maybe your dad could help and you pay him back a bit each time you get your money?

If your rent is £650 a month your deposit will be £650 + one month rent in advance so you are looking at saving up £1300 to get your foot in the door.

Have a quick Google at Edinburgh and Glasgow housing benefit cap and you will see what you are entitled to. You will then see how much extra you will have to pay on top to meet the rent.

Have you tried registering with some of the housing associations? You may get lucky because of your health, but don't get your hopes it, it may be a long wait.

When you get a place you will have single person discount and a council tax reduction, but you will still need to contribute to it.

Gas and electric are the only two other bills as water is included in the council tax.

Citizens advice would be a good start, as they can advise you about benefits, help you claim and talk you through budgeting.
  • MovingForwards
    Forumite
  • MovingForwards
    Forumite
  • ellyroo
    Forumite
    edited 27 April 2019 at 9:55AM

Oh dang that is a kicker :(, Cause i'd really be torn to pieces on shared just to afford things, I dont suppose Aspergers + Anxiety would help me being exempt no?, from what i seen on LHA Rates it means i could spend 100-200 a month on "rent top up" with about 400-500 coming from LHA but i had a feeling i might have been being naive

My dad was heavily recommending i sign onto something called "places for people", but it seems like they want to have people in work, and well , my stupid butt isn't in work atm and i wanna finish college up before trying anything like that? idk i hope i dont come accross as lazy, just when i tried work experience and it went ... super horribly i basically ran away in a big breakdown ahah.. im pathetic

(I really wanted to work in a local community centre as a volunteer gardener, but the place gave away our garden to private contractors >:((((((((, maybe i'll find somewhere else)

But i'll see if i can get anything done through them, just my dad super highly recommended them cause he rents from the same ... company? that owns the association

Any extra housing associations would be a cool one too!, my sister said to look into link housing as well :D
  • ellyroo
    Forumite
    Also i, If i do get kicked in the butt for LHA and they only give me the shared rate, I guess an option would be something like this

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-60590643.html

I like larbert as an area :D
  • MovingForwards
    Forumite
    Can you go and visit some of these areas in the day, evening and weekend to see what they are like? Not to view properties, just to get a feel for the location.

Both flats are nice and I'm sure you would turn where ever you move to into a home.

Keep looking so you get a feel for what your money will get you. Write down notes of things you like / dislike about the properties when looking at them online.

I don't know what the exemptions would cover, but there will be someone on here who will.
  • ellyroo
    Forumite
    Can you go and visit some of these areas in the day, evening and weekend to see what they are like? Not to view properties, just to get a feel for the location.

Both flats are nice and I'm sure you would turn where ever you move to into a home.

Keep looking so you get a feel for what your money will get you. Write down notes of things you like / dislike about the properties when looking at them online.

I don't know what the exemptions would cover, but there will be someone on here who will.

The place in larbert is a place i've passed many times :) coming back from the art studio, and seems like exemptions are being tough to find out specific information for, but this is a good idea! :D, and maybe i'll go out for a meal or something in this paticular area to have a feel for it? just see if its right :3

Would a simple "LHA Exemption" autism, google search provide the answer maybe? :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure