Should they make me redundant

Hi all. I am lorry driver and I work for a company in Rainham Essex yet I live in Barnsley South Yorkshire. On Friday I park the lorry in Barnsley and then drive it down to Essex on the Monday so the lorry is parked in Barnsley over the weekend and when ever I'm on holiday etc. My employer is now wanting to have the lorry parked in Rainham over the weekends and is expecting me to commute every week. This is a 194mile each way journey. I believe that this is an unreasonable change to my job and that they should make me redundant? Any help with this would be gratefully appreciated as I have a meeting with the boss on Monday

Comments

• Where you live is not your employer's concern.
  • Are you simply using the vehicle for a commute between Barnsley and Rainham? Who pays for the fuel? Do you pick up goods/jobs on Monday and spend the rest of the week distributing them or are you in Rainham every day? Why doesn't the company want to make use of the vehicle during your holiday periods?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You either live in Yorkshire and choose to work for a company in Essex or work for a company in Essex and choose to live in Yorkshire. Whichever it is, makes no difference about your job as a lorry driver, there is still a job therefore no redundancy
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • I took the job when they were based in barnsley, they relocated to essex and made everyone redundant except me as they decided to pay for parking in barnsley for me and I have been doing this for 11 years
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dsharris wrote: »
    I took the job when they were based in barnsley, they relocated to essex and made everyone redundant except me as they decided to pay for parking in barnsley for me and I have been doing this for 11 years

Unless the parking is contractual then you have no reason to be made redundant, and it is a making of your own issue.

Check your contract and tell us.

No need for two threads because you did not like the sound of the first!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6082062
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hmm, I'm actually wondering if the OP doesn't have a case - a job could be redundant if a location changes and the new distance is unreasonable (which isn't defined as far as I recall, but over an hour extra is often mentioned).
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ozzuk wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm actually wondering if the OP doesn't have a case - a job could be redundant if a location changes and the new distance is unreasonable (which isn't defined as far as I recall, but over an hour extra is often mentioned).

There is another thread by the same poster about the same subject which had more replies
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Carrot007 wrote: »
    Unless the parking is contractual then you have no reason to be made redundant, and it is a making of your own issue.

Check your contract and tell us.

No need for two threads because you did not like the sound of the first!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6082062

I think if they have been doing this for 11yrs. It could be argued surely that this would be an implied term or condition.

Given they made everyone redundant in Barnsley and rehired in Essex I think a precedent has been set and it could be argued that your job role in Barnsley is no longer required even if a new driver is needed in Essex..

Have you got a union, or try CAB. Also check your home insurance for legal cover.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Where is the HGV licence attached to? As a HGV needs an overnight base for it's operator's licence?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure