Help with tax coding please..

124»

Comments

• I had thought the way to do it was to append a note at the end of the SA,,perhaps i missed it off

If you filed your return online then I wouldn't waste your time. I very much doubt that HMRC have resources to check every return that has note in the free text box at the end of the return.

Maybe the new government will invest in all public services and enable HMRC to employ more staff for that sort of thing. But the papers seem to suggest the NHS is a bit more of a priority for them so I very much doubt it.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you feel you owe HMRC tax don't waste your time argueing with them. I tried & lost. I currently owe them £1k due by Jan 2020 which they don't want & will owe £2k by 2021 which they think they can take from my personal pension. They have decided, despite me telling them otherwise, that this pension is paid monthly (I wish) & they can take it from that. So £2k sitting in a savings account on the current rubbish interest rates but better there than "spending" it. Unfortunately they no longer seem to know their a*** from their elbow.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    badmemory wrote: »
    If you feel you owe HMRC tax don't waste your time argueing with them. I tried & lost ........... Unfortunately they no longer seem to know their a*** from their elbow.
    Wholly agree. I am on PAYE and have been given a new code to collect some owed tax. I know exactly what my income will be this year, I know my tax allowance and with those 2 figures it ain't rocket science to figure out how much tax is due. The M1 tax code is set against a fixed monthly pension income so again it ain't rocket science to figure out how much tax will be collected by the end of the year. They won't have it that they will collect £200 less than is owed and actually increased my code by 2 points last week so the take will be even lower.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you filed your return online then I wouldn't waste your time. I very much doubt that HMRC have resources to check every return that has note in the free text box at the end of the return.

Maybe the new government will invest in all public services and enable HMRC to employ more staff for that sort of thing. But the papers seem to suggest the NHS is a bit more of a priority for them so I very much doubt it.

Would it make any difference if i filled in paper forms or is it a lost cause?? My new strategy could be to file my SA on line maybe 3 days before pay day. They will then output a new tax code and ill have maybe three weeks to reset it thus ensuring it wont !!!!!! up my PAYE.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Why not just ask them to stop making this type of coding adjustments?

Refer them to their own guidance in their Self Assessment manual (SAM121268).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure