the hedgehog's balloons.

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm appalled on your behalf about the wheelchair funding/ reassessment :( and sorry you've picked up the lurgy :( take care!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    We had some good news yesterday afternoon, I spoke to the charity who orginally funded DD2 chair and their policy has changed and basically the chair is ours to do as we please, the bad news is that they won't fund the retro fit of the e fix wheels etc onto a new chair and we will have to fund that ourselves. So, we won't have to buy a new car (the other electric chair that we might of had to get was alot larger and wouldn't of gone in our currrent car) so money isn't going to be as tight as we thought:j. So just waiting to find out how much the retro fit and possible new parts will cost. We reckon potentially it will cost us about £2,000 which is a hellva lot less than the orginal £18,000 we were going to have to find:D.
    Today hasn't gone as planned as DD2 had a major wobbler this morning, do she ended up going to get a christmas tree in her pj's(refused to get dressed) and she had to stop in the car. Tree was a lot cheaper than last year although it was a foot shorter (we had to cut a foot off last year's). We had thought about getting one in a pot (potentially a more sustainable option) but everyone was feeling very under weather or in a bad mood so just a quick trip was need. Cancelled our shopping and lunch, trip into town, which is probably a good job as I went back to bed for 3 hours due to feeling really rough. Other than tree shopping thats the sum total of my day.
    Hope everyone is feeling better than I do currently.
    CRx
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Sorry things are rough - you know, your Christmas isn't a performance - we make times to meet people, of course, but health comes first. Glad to hear about the wheelchair developments though - a cousin of mine has been trying to get a ramp built for her little son's wheelchair (they live in a hilly city), and the hoops they've had to jump through for the finances have been insane. So, go you!
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Yep it really is a minefield out there Karmacat trying to get funding for essential items. My dad is currently on oxygen and struggles to climb his stairs or get in the bath. The LA came out, assessed him, agreed that he needed astair lift and needed the bathroom altering but they wouldn't fund it as he gets too much pension. It makes me cross because he put his life on the line everyday he was at work (fireman) and he's told no you can't have it find the money elsewhere. He's had to approach the the vetern's charities for firemen and the navy to get it done, which is proving to be a very long drawn out process.
    Anyway to focus on the positives, the :xmastree: is up. The girls, mum and I did most of the work as the hubbster was at work and is still not 100%. Although mum said to leave him something ie put the tree up so not to demasculate him:rotfl:. Got him to just alter it in its stand and sort out the lights. Once she'd gone I told him what she said and he was wasn't bothered as he felt so rough and really wasn't looking forward to going in the loft and sorting it all out. CALLED IT! (knew I was right). This year tree decorating wasn't quite the same as no mulled wine:eek: as my tummy still isn't right, hey ho.
    DD1 and I went on a walk with the dog and came back covered in mud but felt better for getting plenty of fresh air. DD2 and my mum did physio jobs in the house for pocket money.
    I've joined the 20 20 group on the old style money saving board. This is what I'm hoping to achieve next year
    1) As a family we will eat 20 veggie/vegan meals a month.
    2) Come up with and implement 20 new eco ideas.
    3) Save 20 £20 notes.
    4) Try 20 veggie/vegan new recipes.
    5) Say hello or have conversations with 20 random strangers a month.
    6) Try 20 new hobbies or groups.
    7) All housework to cease at 20:20.
    8) Visit 20 new places.
    9) Replace 20 car journeys with the bus/train/bike.
    10) Lose 20lbs.
    11)Declutter 20 items a month.
    12) Donate 20 items a month to the food bank.
    13) Use the libary 20 times for book/dvd instead of buying them.
    14) Play 20 board games with the family.
    15) Eat in the garden 20 times.
    16) Plant 20 bee/butterfly/moth friendly plants.
    17) Wear 20 items from my wardrobe that I didn't wear in 2019 (all those not worn by the end of 2020 to be donated to charity).
    18) Do 20 litter picks a month on my dog walks.
    19) Donate to 20 seperate charities (money or items).
    20) Have 20 minutes of meaningful me time per day.
    CRx
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Of course you called it :)

The 2020 sounds interesting - I might have a think about that :) ta muchly.
  • the_cross_rabbit
    the_cross_rabbit Posts: 901 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 December 2019 at 2:00PM
    Options
    Been catching up with uni work today, so having a break. This current module is on mega farms and trophy hunting which although has highlighted some interesting unexpected positives (econmic and what amounts to what I would class as green washing) has still made for uncomfortable veiwing and reading. As part of the questions asked, you have to look at all the evidence they provide you, but also get you to question your beliefs and values around these issues. I'm currently a veggie but live in a meat eaters household. This is something I'm gradually changing (them not me) by sneaking more veggies into things like curries etc. Also making them eat more veggies only based meals. I've also started using a vegan spread and using oat milk on my cereal, replaced honey with maple syrup to make my granola and to be honest much prefer them. Cheese (organic) really is my downfall and really love the stuff even though I know the whole process that goes into creating it. I have cut back how much of it I do eat and this week I've bought some more vegan stuff to try as the last was awful and went in the dog. Recommendations welcome.
    Got an email from the toy company who'd sent double of my order, they sent me prepaid postage form to send it back. Also thanked me for been honest and confirmed I'd only been charged for one. So rewarded myself on their behalf to some licorce toffees when I dropped the parcel off at the post office.
    Well best get back to it.
    CRx
  • shangaijimmy
    Options
    I love your list for 2020. I'm just weighing up the appropriate time to say to Mrs SJ that we should declutter 1 items each per day! I'm thinking when she's plied with Gin and I can get her to sign something, or I'll record it as evidence!!!! She's a bit of a hoarder and I reckon we could get rid of 40% of stuff in our house and still have stuff to declutter!!!!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    :hello:Shangaijimmy I too live with a hoarder, the hubbster has magazines in the loft dating back to the late 1980's. He wants to keep them just incase.............. and I don't think its to insulate the loft. Too be honest we've probably decluttered enough stuff over the last year to run a charity for a month, mainly because we're like magpies. If anyone is getting rid of something it migrates its way to our house:rotfl:.
    Been to take the hubbster's car to get the fan belt sorted, so whilst that was been done I nipped to mum's who made me a cooked veggie breakfast. Its the first proper meal I've eaten in the past three weeks so hopefully I don't suffer a backlash.
    Popped into sainsbugs to pick up a card for mum and saw a lovely orchid and thought I'd get it for someone's present. It wasn't till I was in the car I suddenly realised I've got everyones:rotfl: so I now have a spare pressie.
    Anyway off to see DD2 singing in her schools choir.
    Hope you all have a great day
    CRx
  • the_cross_rabbit
    the_cross_rabbit Posts: 901 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 December 2019 at 1:49PM
    Options
    Been a busy week. On Saturday we went to see nan in Leciester with the extended family and although we thought it was a good idea for us all to go it really was abit too much for her. We had to leave early as DD1 had to get to work and nan looked shattered. We orginally had agreed we would all go for 10 till 130pm to keep it short and sweet so not to tire her out, but dad had forgotten and didn't arrived till 12. I think we got the best from her as she looked like she was ready for nodding off as we were leaving. Sunday we had a family games night and invited our neice, nephew and FIL over to play. Had lots of fun but unfortunately hungry hippo's is no more. Thats the second one we've managed to destroy, glad the last one was a charity shop find. Yesterday the kids were invited up to grandparents for breakfast which gave me the time to wrap the pressies and have a monent for myself. DD2 went to see her PA so helped DD1 make a gluten free lemon drizzle cake (we're responsible for puddings on christmas day, just a chocolate log to make today). Managed to fix the hubbster's rucksack so just got his walking boots to sort. Made my friendship bracelet, so we now match, sounds daft really for a 46 year to be wearing one. However we are can't afford to replace the hubbster's wedding ring which he had to have cut off last year (quoted £1,600:eek:) so £3.50 worth of embroidary thread in our favourite colours is having to do. Today DD1 and the hubbster are at work, DD2 is having a pj day and I've just made up some more sheets up for cluedo ,mopping floors and eating lemon drizzle cakemmmmmmmm obviously not all at once although I am good at multi tasking.
    Merry Christmas:xmassign: everyone and for those who don't celebrate Christmas for what ever reason I hope you have a nice day tomorrow:)
    CRx
  • Karmacat
    Options
    You sound like you're working very consciously towards mortgage freedom, cross rabbit, and I'm sure that in a few years the ring and the friendship bracelet will just be a good story, the pain of that will have gone. Have a lovely time together, it sounds wonderful.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure