Morrisons offer punishes bigger spenders

Options
Hi,

So, I usually spend between £85 - £100 on my weekly shop at Morrisons. More often than not, closer to £90. My in laws usually spend approx. £60 - £80. I have received MORE vouchers offering me 'bonus' points if I spend over £95, whilst my in-laws have to spend over £70. I want to keep as far away from £100 as possible and find it very difficult to try to control a spend to get just over £95. I know Morrisons will 'tailor' these offers to get Customers to increase their spend just a little more, so what is there point in offering me bonus points for spending over £70, when they know I will anyway. However, I will receive nothing for spending up to £376, whilst my in-laws will receive £20 worth of vouchers spending £280 - and this is just over a 4-week period. Over a year, I likely spend £1300 more, yet go unrewarded. This simply isn't fair.

They should have a tiered structure, e.g. 200 bonus MORE points for reaching £40, 500 for £60 etc.
Customer Care's response was a joke - "I’m sorry that you aren't happy with the promotion you received. Our Marketing team try to make sure the promotions we send out are fitting to the customers spend and average monthly spend. I am sorry if this is not fitting for you and I will log this as feedback to be passed onto the Marketing department.".

I see I have 3 options: -
Stop shopping there. I went to Asda last week.
Break my shopping into 2 spends at the till, so 2 lots of £40.
Don't buy any of the extras there, which can bump up your extra cost, even though they are unusual items (expensive bunch of flowers etc).

Is there anyone else frustrated by this?
Thanks,
Rich

Comments

• no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Their objective will be to get you spend more, can't blame them for that. However, I'd be very surprised if you get conditional spend promotions one-after-another!?
    I don't, I used to get emails to activate - had three in a row which was unusual, but then had a four-weekly one in the post. Fortunately the email & post one coincided so I had 6850 points for a £40 shop (and a 5p fuel coupon). I used the next £35.00 spend, I can see me making the fourth one, but not the third one.
    Why the fourth, because I'll be very surprised if there's another set of coupons to follow on, so I'll stock up.

strangely, I haven't had any conditional spend coupons from Sainsburys or Tesco for many, many months!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • tryin
    tryin Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just stock up for 2 weeks in one purchase.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just ask the cashier to split the shop into two bills.

TBH, a couple of hundred More points is worth virtually nothing (well 250 points = 25p).
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Just ask the cashier to split the shop into two bills.
    TBH, a couple of hundred More points is worth virtually nothing (well 250 points = 25p).

I think you missed the bit about the conditional spend coupons - he probably got 8000 points extra for spending £80. Currently I'm in the midst of a four week promotion spend £35.00 and get 2675 points, with an extra 875 if I do all four..

I have had similar promo's from two others at the same time - so it can be a challenge which ones to use! But at the moment it's only Morrisons.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport