Solar ... In the news

Comments

• EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Now even the Daily Mail is arguing for PV and against nuclear?
    I usually find that if the DM argue in favour of anything I can find a dozen reasons for disagreeing :eek: I'll probably give that article a miss before I'm tempted to tear down my panels :D
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Construction Begins On Europe’s Largest Floating Solar Plant
    Construction has begun on what will end up being Europe’s largest floating solar plant, atop Godley Reservoir in the UK.

The project developer, and the UK’s largest listed water company, announced this week that the installation of Europe’s biggest floating solar power system had begun construction, on the Godley Reservoir in the town of Hyde in Greater Manchester, UK. The entire project will consist of 12,000 solar panels, covering an area of 45,5000 square meters of the reservoir’s total 60,000 square meters. Once completed, the project will provide the utility with 2.7 GWh of electricity per year, for use directly onsite.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    NOTE - this is not the result of the consultation, simply the rates that will apply following the latest degression.

As the article explains, we will need to wait for the government's decision regarding the 'major' rate change that is expected.

Ofgem publishes prospective FiT rates for 1 January
    ≤4 kW 12.03p
    4kW – 10kW 10.90p

Mart.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Possible first step towards ending the restrictions on Chinese panel prices in the UK. This could lead to a small reduction in panel prices, which would be good timing.

EC rejects calls to replace MIP pricing benchmark
    The ruling will come as a boost to parties seeking to have all trade measures on Chinese imports into Europe thrown out when the commission decides whether or not to review their scheduled expiry at the end of this year. The commission has until December to decide whether or not it will instigate a review, which would mean current measures remain in force for up to 15 months.

James Watson, chief executive of trade body SolarPower Europe, said: "The decision by the European Commission is a step in the right direction. We hope this sensible approach will also apply to the duties and price undertaking due to expire in December 2015."

Mart.

• ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    EricMears wrote: »
    I usually find that if the DM argue in favour of anything I can find a dozen reasons for disagreeing :eek: I'll probably give that article a miss before I'm tempted to tear down my panels :D

As the old saying goes, even a stopped clock is right twice a day!
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • Martyn1981
    Or does it?

British public vastly overestimate solar support levels, poll finds

Given the 'confusion' it's surprising (almost encouraging) that the public still has so much support for PV and wind.

Mart.

• ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Interesting Mart. I always say that the opponents of solar rarely if ever mention the actual costs added to the average bill because they know that they are small. Instead they bang on about it without using actual facts and figures (unless they're talking about how much early installers are getting per kWh, neglecting to mention they are very few in number in the scheme of things), use emotion etc. And this is the result: people vastly overestimate the costs to the average person.

This is the essense of effective propaganda, play on emotions rather than facts to mislead people.
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • opponents of solar

I can't think who you mean... Do they talk about 'subsidies', ignoring their existance all over the place, do they go on about 'solar hatted houses', are they repetitive and appear on every solar thread, do they pretend to be concerned about the 'poor'? It's the last one that annoys me the most as I can't help thinking such people don't give even a crocodile tear for the poor or have any concern about the many other policies of this government which are hitting at the disadvantaged.

As a policy the implementation of FITs has largely achieved its aim, and if the government thought that the impact on the poor was so large (and it isn't) they could have done something about it.
  • This has probably been quoted here, but it illustrates that most of the government's policies are dubious, to say the least:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34767194
  • Martyn1981
    they pretend to be concerned about the 'poor'? It's the last one that annoys me the most as I can't help thinking such people don't give even a crocodile tear for the poor or have any concern about the many other policies of this government which are hitting at the disadvantaged.

I feel exactly the same. It's the out of context trickery that's used:-

Out of context - Everyone pays the FiT subsidy, only some receive it.

In context - all energy is subsidised by everyone (either directly on bills, or indirectly through taxation), the FiT is the only one that returns the subsidy to consumers (demand side generators).

I've suggested in the past that the argument that the poor pay, without the opportunity to benefit, is false. But it's very hard to find a definition of 'the poor'. If it's people living in social housing, then the percentage of installs on social housing, appears to be in-line with the percentage of social housing:-

Thousands of social tenants will lose out if solar subsidies cuts go ahead
    There are more than 4m social homes in England and Wales. It is estimated that 30-40,000 had solar panels fitted last year in the UK, accounting for one-fifth to one-quarter of all installations, according to the Solar Trade Association (STA).

Mart.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback