£29,303...Enough is enough!

Comments

• WelshKitty85
    WelshKitty85 Posts: 1,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sooo frustrating...

Just logged in to check DHs loan and there's a £300 fee been added to the balance. Checked the paperwork and it was in the original terms, it's just that I wasn't aware of it for my debt calculations. So my starting debt should have been:

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Barclaycard....................8099......160...... .0
    RateSetter ....................4300......87.64.....7.4
    Hitachi..........................11780.....226.5.... .3.4
    M&S Card......................1593......35........22. 9
    MBNA...........................3831......70....... .0

Total unsecured debts.....£29603 :eek: :eek:
  • DMP_Tiger
    DMP_Tiger Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    As it's bank holiday weekend I'm unlikely to find any groupons so that will be around £40.

Not Groupon but quite often (not always so need to check), Pub/Restaurants own Monday deals still work on Bank Holiday Monday.

I've never used Groupon for meals, I always seem to read on reviews that people get small portions if it's a Groupon deal. Not sure if that's true though.....
    August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
    January 2019: Secured Debt £68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,457 Total £102,726 DFD: March 2031
  • WelshKitty85
    DMP_Tiger wrote: »
    Not Groupon but quite often (not always so need to check), Pub/Restaurants own Monday deals still work on Bank Holiday Monday.

I've never used Groupon for meals, I always seem to read on reviews that people get small portions if it's a Groupon deal. Not sure if that's true though.....

It wouldn't surprise me. I know of hotels that give the worst rooms to Groupon deals.

I'll keep an eye out for deals, thanks.
  • WelshKitty85
    This may be another post that makes no sense to anybody else, but I'm trying to get my thoughts straight...

When I was checking tax credits a few months ago I had an alert pop up that I can open a help to save account. I can pay in a maximum of £50 per month and will earn a bonus. If I manage to save £50 per month for the full duration of the account (4 years) I will save £2,400 and be paid a bonus of £1,200. So, I am currently using this account to save my emergency fund (not my car tax, insurance savings etc, pure emergency savings).

DH is also eligible for one of these accounts, so we are considering opening one is his name too. I'm just trying to make sure in my own head that this is a better option than using that money to overpay our debts.

Our current DFD is 53 months away.

1. If I continue paying £50 a month into my help to save, but put the other £50 to overpayments, we will be debt free in 49 months and (if there's no emergencies) I will have £3,600 saved.

2. If I stop paying into my account, put the full £100 a month to overpayments, we will be debt free in 45 months but have no emergency fund/savings.

3. If we both pay into the accounts then in 4 years time (if there's no emergencies) we will have £7,200 saved between us. We could pay off the remainder of the debt at this stage and have around £3,300 left in savings. This would be paying the debt off a month earlier than option 1, so if I put that extra months worth of debts payments into savings, I would have nearly £3,900 in savings compared to the £3,600 in option 1.

Obviously, emergencies may happen along the way. I'm also hoping DHs earnings will go up, I'll make money on surveys etc so I can make more overpayments. So, we may not follow any of the timescales/targets exactly but I'm swaying towards option 3 at the moment.
  • WelshKitty85
    We had a lovely day today at the safari park and my car survived the baboon enclosure :j

DH took a wrong turn on the way out so we ended up doing the car safari for a second time :rotfl:

Picnic made from store cupboards apart from drinks which we spent £2 on the way picking up. Stopped at a certain bear factory on the way home as we had a voucher to use before the end of the month. Managed to get 2 teddies for DC3 (one for Xmas and one for birthday) for a grand total of £2.50.

Hairdresser booked for next week - £22.50 for me and DD. I think that's very reasonable.

Have made a good sale this evening making £68.54 profit. £28.54 has been transferred to my generic savings pot, and £40 put aside for DHs birthday meal (after realising the bank holiday weekend that I have sorted childcare for is the weekend before DHs birthday, not the weekend after so I have 1 week to save, not 2 :eek: ). So just need to earn another £35 now. I have had a few PA surveys today, so I will have over £10 in there once they are approved.
  • WelshKitty85
    Today I have done my weekly shop and my subtotal for the month stands at £173.17, although £6.99 of today's spend was a Christmas present, so technically only £166.18 so far this month on groceries (but this also includes theatre snacks for DD and I, facial moisturiser, and hair conditioner). This leaves £33.82 for next weeks shop. I don't think I'm likely to stay under budget as DC3s milk alone costs over £6. I hopefully won't be too far over budget and we're able to absorb the overspend this month, but I will need to work on a plan for next month which will include 5 shops, packed lunches for DC1 & DC2, and lunches to work for me.

Sold £24 worth of items today, so I now have £40 in the bank to pay for DHs birthday meal. £22.50 in my purse for DD and I to have haircuts, and £26.39 in my purse towards getting DHs car valeted and waterproofed. Once my PA studies are approved I can withdraw just over £12, which will cover remainder of birthday expenses and a little left over for savings/small debt overpayment.
  • WelshKitty85
    I'm getting myself in a muddle. When adding the loan to my total debts (for the purposes of SOA etc) should I take the 'outstanding balance' figure, or the 'settlement figure'?
  • WelshKitty85
    I'm pretty sure I've been looking at the wrong figure for my hitachi loan, so my overall debt is £750 less than I thought. I'll update my figures once all of this months payments have gone out.

I've had a call from the PPI company today & they have found PPI on an old loan. I know I could claim myself (we did it for DH) but I honestly thought I'd never had PPI & I've had so many different loan & cc providers that there is no way I would have contacted them all myself. So I'm willing to give up 20% of anything they find, rather than never claiming at all. I've got no idea how much it might be, so it's another wait and see.

I have made some progress on the decluttering and currently have 30 items listed on eBay, plus a few I'm trying on FB first. I want to get as much cleared as possible before I go back to work, partly to boost our savings/debt repayments, but also to get the house low maintenance and clutter free.
  • WelshKitty85
    And now they have found ppi on an old credit card. Clearly this is why I'm in debt - because in the past I had no idea what I was payng out! Can you all please cross your fingers for the next few months in the hope I get a big fat refund? :)
  • Rachel24
    Rachel24 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fingers crossed for you! Even a couple of thousand would make a world of difference!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback